Trump's Economy!!!!

floridays

I've never been satisfied with that expression. I mean, why would anyone want to 'hide' under a woman's skirt? Liable to get bashed with a purse. For shade, maybe?
No day is so hot that it's worth getting bashed with a purse, though.

I mean, an area like that isn't exactly quiet or peaceful, either. Believe me. I know. 'Things' go on there. Anyways, it's a poor hiding spot. For more reasons than I care to list.
I don't have an answer to that question, you'd have to ask @BrownArmy and @Sportello why they prefer to have me in the mods. On the red above, I agree that is why I choose to speak my mind. I have no problem taking arrows.

floridays

Typical liberals, they want to censor anyone or anything they don't agree with.
'1984' was written about today's Dims.
In support of their argument against free speech (like how I turned that around?) I frequently can be harsh, outspoken, and at times a complete jackass. I will stipulate this, I will also offer how comical it is to see these same first amendment warriors line up to shut an opposing view down for the usage of..."hurtful words, or some such
bsbullf.gif
. I do understand what the first amendment protects, they don't. I am just playing by the rules they proscribe until it's not beneficial to them. I was born last night, it was on a turnip truck, and I'm still smarter than them. You like that Old friend, that's only the second philosophical thing I said today. The first is suited for mixed company.

Mutineer

'1984' was written about today's Dims.

George Orwell was a very fascinating person. You should Wiki him. I suspect his experiences and disillusion fighting in the Spanish Civil War are akin to the moment when Newton was hit in the head by an apple. His book 'Homage to Catalonia' supports that notion.

As much as I'd like to, I don't consider '1984' to be partisan. I believe it illustrates a dark, paranoid, extremist side of the human mind. And few of us (no matter how many college degrees we may have affirming our intelligence) are immune from or can recognize or admit when we have been sucked into this brand of hate and madness.

floridays

George Orwell was a very fascinating person. You should Wiki him. I suspect his experiences and disillusion fighting in the Spanish Civil War are akin to the moment when Newton was hit in the head by an apple. His book 'Homage to Catalonia' supports that notion.

As much as I'd like to, I don't consider '1984' to be partisan. I believe it illustrates a dark, paranoid, extremist side of the human mind. And few of us (no matter how many college degrees we may have affirming our intelligence) are immune from or can recognize or admit when we have been sucked into this brand of hate and madness.
Understood, it wasn't partisan when written, I ask you to observe who is rising to the top and fulfilling the requisites he wrote about. As to the hate portion, I personally hate no one, I do however hate ideas, they are separate from the person. When the ideas are so fully ingrained in a person and they try, through whatever means to compel me submit, I recoil and fight back. Be careful using words like hate and madness, be wary of who and why people are defining those terms. I hate many things and it is good and a righteous hate, based on my foundations.
Thinking for yourself is good, if you talk to @bsam tell him this.

Mutineer

Understood, it wasn't partisan when written, I ask you to observe who is rising to the top and fulfilling the requisites he wrote about.

Currently, the folks fulfilling that are so-called liberals. But then, it wasn't so long ago we had McCarthyism. I can't decide which is worse. No. Wait. The liberals are worse.

Even Jack Kerouac supported McCarthyism.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage

I agree.
I should have worded it like this:
'1984' could have been written about today's Dims.

Sportello

UPS profit gain overshadowed by trade war worries, shares fall

(Reuters) - United Parcel Service Inc (UPS.N) reported a 20 percent rise in quarterly profit on Wednesday, but shares dropped 3.5 percent after it said the U.S. trade war with China contributed to disappointing international results.

Investors consider UPS a bellwether for the U.S. economy and they seized on news that President Donald Trump's shift to more protectionist trade policies weighed on its results.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
UPS profit gain overshadowed by trade war worries, shares fall

(Reuters) - United Parcel Service Inc (UPS.N) reported a 20 percent rise in quarterly profit on Wednesday, but shares dropped 3.5 percent after it said the U.S. trade war with China contributed to disappointing international results.

Investors consider UPS a bellwether for the U.S. economy and they seized on news that President Donald Trump's shift to more protectionist trade policies weighed on its results.
But but but, he said he's a nationalist, and this is an American company... Shouldn't that be a good thing? USA USA USA!

bacha29

But but but, he said he's a nationalist, and this is an American company... Shouldn't that be a good thing? USA USA USA!
Trump plainly stated that he believed that the American economy was strong enough to withstand a trade war with China. Doesn't look that way now and China simply sat back and laughed and let Trump destroy his own political base.
Too soon to jump to any conclusions but the market is sending him a message.
It's easy to govern when you inherit an economy on it's way up . Try doing it when it's on the way down. Six months from now if the GDP is falling short of projections, revenues are falling short of projections and the only things that are going up are inflation, government borrowing and interest rates this might just be 1979 all over again.

vantexan

Trump plainly stated that he believed that the American economy was strong enough to withstand a trade war with China. Doesn't look that way now and China simply sat back and laughed and let Trump destroy his own political base.
Too soon to jump to any conclusions but the market is sending him a message.
It's easy to govern when you inherit an economy on it's way up . Try doing it when it's on the way down. Six months from now if the GDP is falling short of projections, revenues are falling short of projections and the only things that are going up are inflation, government borrowing and interest rates this might just be 1979 all over again.
China sitting back and laughing? They're having economic woes too.

BrownArmy

If you knew how screwed up their financial system is you'd think twice. Communists don't understand a lot of what it takes to make it all work.

Except they define what their 'financial system' is, within limits of course, vis-a-vis the world stage.

(You know Trump would love to have the power that Shi has!)

We don't call China 'communist' anymore.

They're embracing their version of capitalism.

It's all good.