TS Sandy

moreluck

golden ticket member
FEMA is telling people they can go on the internet and see where the free food or other help is located......HELLO, they have no internet.....no power. About as helpful as a screen door on a submarine!

They can't go to the library & use the internet.....no gas for the car to travel there. Little kids at home to care for.

menotyou

bella amicizia
FEMA is telling people they can go on the internet and see where the free food or other help is located......HELLO, they have no internet.....no power. About as helpful as a screen door on a submarine!

They can't go to the library & use the internet.....no gas for the car to travel there. Little kids at home to care for.
They can use the Obamaphone.

*I couldn't help myself!! :rofl:

bbsam

Staff member
So if FEMA were not involved, everything would be all better now? Because private industry does it better? Like how they did Ground Zero?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I have a question that touches several threads so I'll just put it here. Sandy struck what is arguably the economic heart of America. Katrina his a very poor area of the nation. What does it mean if Jersey if rebuilt in 6 months and the lower ninth ward is left to rot? Is it a race issue? Class warfare? Are southern states just not worth it?
Race card. ugly, bbsam.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Making disasters such as these political within social norms is very insincere, irrational and short-sighted. jmo

It's very common knowledge that the Gulf Coast from TX to the Keys receives far more hurricane strikes, and more intense ones, than anywhere north of FL(GA to ME)

Combined with that, the fact that New Orleans in particular, is located (generally) within an expansive area at or below sea level.

New Orleans is a great city which I had the opportunity to visit several times prior to Katrina. However, many people including myself knew that only one severe hurricane is all it would take to permanently change the landscape. If anyone has ever spent time there, clearly it's "underwater"- i.e.- the gulf shores and overall water sightline is above the actual city.

The area does not have similar infrastructure native to most. To rebuild in those zones would require enormous amounts of time and money. Astronomical.

All to perhaps be victim to a future, severe hurricane.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I find it amusing that you continually comment on a situation that in no way involves you. You are 3,000 miles away from where the storm hit. You have no idea, other that what you read online, about the progess being made there on a daily basis or the struggles to try to return to a sense of normalcy. I also have no idea which is why I have chosen not to comment.

Don't you think a "I pray for the safety and well-being of those impacted by Superstorm Sandy" would suffice? Do you really have to provide daily "updates" based on second-hand information with the sole intent of discrediting the President? Is your life really that empty that you have to spend endless hours scouring the Internet for "information" which has little to no impact on your daily life?

Give us all a break. We know that the storm was a terrible tragedy and that it is taking more time than expected to return to normalcy. We don't need to be reminded of it on a daily basis, especially since your only intent is to discredit the President.
Agree, the president has nothing to do with it. It's irrational to think that Bush, Reagan, Clinton, Obama, whatever superhero can go flying in and miraculously make a difference....it's a disaster

I wonder if the "need it now" , instant-gratification society has molded this unconscious trait of actually forgetting about those in need and worry about negatively placing the blame wherever possible.

Even if it's totally irrational and unfounded.

wkmac

So if FEMA were [-]not [/-]involved, everything would be all better now? Because private industry does it better? Like how they did Ground Zero?

If you want to call the voluntary, charitable efforts of the Occupy movement as private industry, then yeah, that's what I'm saying. BTW you and Moreluck can hate the Occupy movement together on this one!

And if you want to help the cause click here

BrownArmy

Does Occupy have Amazon's consent?

It seems to me they're running a very legitimate 'registry'.

And, if Amazon is concerned at all, they'll take a step back, look at their bottom line, and look the other way.

So, is Amazon 'letting' Occupy get away with anything?

wkmac

Does Occupy have Amazon's consent?

It seems to me they're running a very legitimate 'registry'.

And, if Amazon is concerned at all, they'll take a step back, look at their bottom line, and look the other way.

So, is Amazon 'letting' Occupy get away with anything?

I'm assuming it's above board and Amazon accommodated Occupy to do this. If someone has evidence otherwise.

bbsam

Staff member
If you want to call the voluntary, charitable efforts of the Occupy movement as private industry, then yeah, that's what I'm saying. BTW you and Moreluck can hate the Occupy movement together on this one!

And if you want to help the cause click here
Not sure how you get the idea that I'm hating anyone. Considering the massive destruction it is safe to assume that there are many organizations making a difference for good. Could FEMA be one? Can't get any Sprinter Ryder trucks around here. They've been donated to the east coast.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Tens of thousands still without power and LIPA says to go online and get some form to submit.

Do the people in charge hear what they say? Where are their heads ??

moreluck

golden ticket member
FEMA-closed.jpg

moreluck

golden ticket member
Show up with no follow up !!

Tell that to the millions still without power in NY and NJ.
“It’s been aggressive and strong and fast and robust and a lot of people have been helped because of it. That’s a pretty good metaphor for how I want federal government to operate generally, and I’m going to do everything I can to make sure it does.”

menotyou

bella amicizia
No offense, but I've gone 6-10 days without power due to ice storms under different administrations. It's amazing tte work they are doing to rebuild the infrastructure. I have sympathy, but it was a 1000 mile wide hurricane.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Show up with no follow up !!

Tell that to the millions still without power in NY and NJ.
“It’s been aggressive and strong and fast and robust and a lot of people have been helped because of it. That’s a pretty good metaphor for how I want federal government to operate generally, and I’m going to do everything I can to make sure it does.”

Millions?? As of this afternoon there are roughly 100K customers yet to have their power restored. This is down from an estimated 8.5M at the height of the storm. They have made tremendous strides but if you are one of the 100K you find little consolation in that fact. LIPA (Long Island Power Authority) has been the slowest to respond with nearly 60K customers still without power.

moreluck

golden ticket member

Millions?? As of this afternoon there are roughly 100K customers yet to have their power restored. This is down from an estimated 8.5M at the height of the storm. They have made tremendous strides but if you are one of the 100K you find little consolation in that fact. LIPA (Long Island Power Authority) has been the slowest to respond with nearly 60K customers still without power.
Those are the words in the article........not my words. It's this guy's words, so complain to him about it.......maybe when he wrote the words it was a week or so ago.
Charlie Spiering Commentary Staff Writer

I was posting it for the obama part saying how aggressive it was........NOT !!!