TS Sandy

moreluck

golden ticket member
Mayor BloominOnion has a semi-size trailer generator set up for the marathon. He should've parked that thing in a cul de sac and let 10 families plug into it.

Instead, some event means more to him than his constituants. What a creep!!

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Resources will be taken away from helping those in need and given to the NYC Marathon .
They have 3 generators just to power the media tent. Each one could supply power to 400 homes .
At least one hotel has stated that those already in rooms will not be displaced for the runners .
What a disgrace.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Obama bragged about how there would be no"red tape"..........Looks like he lied again. People are dumpster diving and Obama is onto his next event to mesmorize his robots.

Use your vote, people !!

bbsam

Staff member
Obama bragged about how there would be no"red tape"..........Looks like he lied again. People are dumpster diving and Obama is onto his next event to mesmorize his robots.

Use your vote, people !!
You are beginning to sound desparate.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Bloomin'Onionhead finally gets the message. Thick skull there!!

Mayor Bloomberg says NYC Marathon canceled - latimes

bbsam

Staff member
I have a question that touches several threads so I'll just put it here. Sandy struck what is arguably the economic heart of America. Katrina his a very poor area of the nation. What does it mean if Jersey if rebuilt in 6 months and the lower ninth ward is left to rot? Is it a race issue? Class warfare? Are southern states just not worth it?

moreluck

golden ticket member
I have a question that touches several threads so I'll just put it here. Sandy struck what is arguably the economic heart of America. Katrina his a very poor area of the nation. What does it mean if Jersey if rebuilt in 6 months and the lower ninth ward is left to rot? Is it a race issue? Class warfare? Are southern states just not worth it?

It would mean that some people help themselves.........just like the tornado that wped out Joplin and the one that devasted a Nebraska town......don't hear those people whining and crying "woe is me!"

It may sound blunt to you, but I answered it truthfully
the way I observed things play out!!

bbsam

Staff member
It would mean that some people help themselves.........just like the tornado that wped out Joplin and the one that devasted a Nebraska town......don't hear those people whining and crying "woe is me!"

It may sound blunt to you, but I answered it truthfully
the way I observed things play out!!
The East Coast is going to pick themselves up by their bootstraps? Really. On their own?

moreluck

golden ticket member
The East Coast is going to pick themselves up by their bootstraps? Really. On their own?

People do it everyday. Within hours, someone had product being delivered to people.....food, blankets, etc. You talk like the east coast is some underdeveloped third world country.

island1fox

Not a question but a statement : ---Days after Katrina hit the media was all over Bush --no magic wand then ---Days have gone by --no electricity, water, gas --no Media pointing guilt ---no magic wand here either

Lue C Fur

Evil member

Sounds like a Typical Liberal getting ready to play the race card...

race-card-ii-race-card-liberals-obama-demotivational-poster-1253150380.jpg

race-card-ii-race-card-liberals-obama-demotivational-poster-1253150380.jpg

texan

I have pondered this deeply sir.

I do not have an answer that I want to post, as it will be wrong while people suffer, as they did in the south.

People are hurting there right now as I type, as the South did.

Temperatures drop, tempers rise as Sandy power outages linger.

(CNN) -- Promises of help to those affected by Superstorm Sandy became more specific Saturday, as officials got a
better grip on how to overcome power and fuel shortages.

Millions of gallons of fuel were already delivered or in transit to affected areas, and utility officials were under increased
pressure to restore electricity.

About 2.7 million customers remained without power Saturday across 15 states and the District of Columbia. And some
may be in the dark for another week.

Frustrated residents, worried about plunging temperatures, said companies are not working fast enough to restore power.
"The power company sent us an e-mail alert saying we'll have to wait more days," said Pankaj Purohit, whose apartment
is next to a marina in Jersey City, New Jersey. "We have already been waiting for five days."
Temperatures drop, tempers rise as Sandy power outages linger - CNN.com

texan

As communities grapple with the human toll, the price of the damage is stunning: between $30 billion
and $50 billion,
according to disaster modeling firm EQECAT.

That far exceeds the firm's pre-storm estimate of $20 billion.

In a move to relieve fuel shortages, Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano issued a temporary waiver
of the Jones Act, allowing oil tankers from the Gulf of Mexico to enter northeastern ports.

texan

FEMA Runs Out of Water

FEMA's vaunted "lean forward" strategy that called for advanced staging of supplies for emergency distribution
failed to live up to its billing in the immediate aftermath of Hurricane Sandy.

In fact, the agency appears to have been completely unprepared to distribute bottled water to Hurricane Sandy
victims when the storm hit this Monday. In contrast to its stated policy, FEMA failed to have any meaningful
supplies of bottled water -- or any other supplies, for that matter -- stored in nearby facilities as it had
proclaimed it would on its website.

This was the case despite several days advance warning of the impending storm.

FEMA only began to solicit bids for vendors to provide bottled water for distribution to Hurricane
Sandy victims on Friday, sending out a solicitation request for 2.3 million gallons of bottled water
at the FedBizOpps.gov website.

Bidding closed at 4:30 pm eastern.
FEMA Runs Out of Water - Katie Pavlich

Buddybrown

---- Notwithstanding the many claims that blacks had been hit hardest by Katrina, in fact it was whites who were disproportionately affected by the disaster. Four of the five parishes worst hit by flooding in New Orleans -- Jefferson, Plaquemines, St. Bernard, and St. Tammany -- were majority-white (with whites accounting for aywhere from 67% to 88% of the respective populations). Of the five, only Orleans Parish was majority-black (67%). In Mississippi, the three counties that were hardest hit — Hancock, Harrison, and Jackson – were among the whitest counties in the state. While the population of Mississippi as a whole was 36 percent black and just over 60 percent white, the cumulative population of these three particular counties was 80 percent white. With regard to deaths caused by Katrina, Michelle Malkin reports: "According to vital statistics released just months after the storm by the primary morgue that processed the bodies of the deceased, 48 percent of those who died in the natural disaster were black, 41 percent were white, with another 8 percent unknown and 2 percent Hispanic. Little-noted follow-up analysis confirmed those preliminary results and also debunked the myth that the poor were disproportionately affected by the storm." --- Blaming Racism for Katrina's Deadly Effects - Discover the Networks

moreluck

golden ticket member
UPS pledges $1.5 million in storm aid

Business First

Date: Friday, November 2, 2012, 2:25pm EDT

United Parcel Service says its operations have been restored in the wake of Hurricane Sandy.

United Parcel Service Inc. announced Friday that it has pledged $1.5 million in cash and in-kind support to aid in the recovery efforts following the devastation caused by Hurricane Sandy this week along the Northeast United States.

The Atlanta-based package shipper (NYSE: UPS) — which bases its largest sorting hub and its UPS Airlines division in Louisville — also said in a news release that all UPS package, freight and logistics operations have been restored, and that UPS employees throughout the region are working to provide service to the affected areas, although many businesses remain closed and some locations are inaccessible.

The UPS aid, the release said, is comprised of a $250,000 grant to the American Red Cross to help with the sheltering needs of storm victims; $250,000 in logistical aid for urgent response; and $1 million in cash and in-kind support to a variety of relief organizations throughout 2013.

Next week, for example, UPS will deliver 14 truckloads of relief supplies into some of the most heavily impacted areas in New York and New Jersey, the release said.

klein

Für Meno :)
Hydro employees and trucks from Canada (BC, Quebec, NS, ON, PEI) all rolling into NY and NJ to help rebuild the power system.
Also Canada Red Cross heading south.