Twitter

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
My son has been a big Twitter fan for over a year. We raided their little office while we were in San Fransisco last summer. A guy showed us around and introduced as visitors to much of the staff. Gave my son a shirt. As we left I asked the guy what his position was with the company. I'm the CEO, he said. Little did I know it would grow as it has. As for myself, I don't Twitter yet but Ive been invited to. BM

Sammie

I have heard the term "twitter", but have no idea what it is. Would someone like to explain?

Twitter is social messaging in real-time. Day or night you can tell the world what you're doing or thinking. You're listening to music. You're upset that the internet is so slow. Your hobbies are thus and so. There was an article in the paper about our lawmakers Twittering to the world about the bills they're voting on, etc. and their Blackberries now have to be shut off during sessions.

Facebook and Twitter are very similar. You can even link the two together. I think Facebook's taking taken the place of e mails with friends and family from what I've seen. IMHO, Twitter is simple, Facebook is more complicated. They're both just ways to see what you and everybody else are up to.

fethrs

I have bc, I dont need to twitter, I also have a facebook and myspace page and I don't even check them anymore....bc has taken over my life. I am an addcit and I need help......

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
The absolute last thing I need is one more way to waste time on the interwebz. I say no to the twitter way.

Dizzee

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
I have heard the term "twitter", but have no idea what it is. Would someone like to explain?

I don't twitter, so naturally, I'll give you my take on it. :happy2:

It's like a mass text message to the people who follow you (your contacts). You keep everyone informed, as to your boring daily activities.

Example:

• 7:00 AM Just woke up. Looks like a nice day.
  • 7:20 AM Hey everybody, I'm eating breakfast.
  • 8:30 AM I'm going to work. WooHoo.
  • 8:40 AM Traffic is heavy today.
  • 12:00 Hey everybody, I'm eating lunch.
  • 12:17 Maybe I should get a dog...
  • 12:30 Back to work for me. WooHoo.
  • 6:00 PM Done working for today. Heading home.
  • 6:10 PM Traffic is heavy today.
  • 7:00 PM Dinner time. I like ravioli.
  • 8:00 PM Watching TV. I like CSI. Darn it's a rerun.
  • 9:18 PM Still watching TV. Maybe I should get a dog...
  • 11:00 PM Boy, I'm sleepy. That was a lot of ravioli, I ate for dinner. I should take a walk.
  • 11:01 PM Going to bed. Goodnite everyone.
I don't get it, for the average guy/gal. Maybe, it would be interesting to "follow" a celebrity. But, I just read the other day, that most of them have a "twitter assistant" now, that twitters for them. :peaceful:

P

pickup

Twitter is social messaging in real-time. Day or night you can tell the world what you're doing or thinking. You're listening to music. You're upset that the internet is so slow. Your hobbies are thus and so. There was an article in the paper about our lawmakers Twittering to the world about the bills they're voting on, etc. and their Blackberries now have to be shut off during sessions.

Facebook and Twitter are very similar. You can even link the two together. I think Facebook's taking taken the place of e mails with friends and family from what I've seen. IMHO, Twitter is simple, Facebook is more complicated. They're both just ways to see what you and everybody else are up to.

Twittering is just one more step to having the borg mind. Every uninteresting banal common activity you are engaged in can now be shared with the world as you do it. For example : in the past , you might have gone to the bathroom and had the movement of a lifetime with a three foot log in the toilet bowl . You might have liked to share this precious moment with others, but common sense stepped in and you stopped yourself from going back to your restaurant table in order to invite other members of your party back to the scene of the crime so that they can view what you gave birth to.

Now with twittering, you can provide a word by word description of the blessed event and the associated emotions and sensations as it occurs. You can even include a picture of the log and every one can view it via the internet ( at least on facebook, I don't know about twitter)

Sound like I told you more than you should know. Indeed, that's why I don't like facebook or twitter. I would prefer a return to the days of ala little house on the prarie . townperson 1 -"letter for Charles Ingalls"
townperson 2 -"hey Charles got a letter, Charles, open
it up and read it.

Charles (opening and unfolding letter) - "Dear Charles , your brother has died, it was a lovely funeral, condolences."

and he got the letter 3 weeks after the funeral.

P

pickup

Thank you guys for your responses. I am now sure I will never twitter.

Smart move, for once you start , the other members of the your twitter network won't let you out. If you fail to comment on their activities 5 minutes after they post , they will be angry at you. My brother posts videos of his kid on facebook and the next day I will get a phone call about why I didn't comment. I tell him, "I didn't even know you put the video up, what do you think, I check facebook out 3 times a day." I only got a facebook page just so I could view some of the pictures of my nephew not to be married to a computer( my first wife is browncafe). My brother has an iphone so he views his facebook communications on a constant basis.

Sammie

Smart move, for once you start , the other members of the your twitter network won't let you out. If you fail to comment on their activities 5 minutes after they post , they will be angry at you. My brother posts videos of his kid on facebook and the next day I will get a phone call about why I didn't comment. I tell him, "I didn't even know you put the video up, what do you think, I check facebook out 3 times a day." I only got a facebook page just so I could view some of the pictures of my nephew not to be married to a computer( my first wife is browncafe). My brother has an iphone so he views his facebook communications on a constant basis.

It's becoming the 800 pound gorilla in the room. I may glance at my
Facebook, MySpace or Twitter once a month and I joined them as a courtesy because other people asked me to, but I'm not active on
any of them. People use them now for stuff they used to call you for.
Want to come over for dinner? Better have read Twitter. And you're
right. Folks get cranky about this. Buddies send you little fantasy gifts
on Facebook like miracles or flowers or a tropical drink. And
if you don't return the favor within 30 seconds you're in deep do.

I just checked my Facebook for the heck of it. Does the rest of the world really care that somebody finished making a fruit salad for Easter? I don't get this either.

P

pickup

Wow you old people are crazy yo

Hey drewed? You, being a member of generation "Question Mark" might be able to shed some insight into this matter. Are you married to this stuff, twitter, facebook, including the cellphone etc, etc. If the answer is yes, could you see yourself living comfortably without this stuff?

drewed

Shankman
Umm yes and no I dont twitter, I myspace and facebook use it mostly to keep in touch with people from hs that moved away family members in other states but Ill also use snail mail for this purpose so not married but I do check it daily generally. Cell phone wise, I dont have a landline so its my sould source of getting contacted without email or someone showing up randomly