Layoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

anonymous23456

Curious. how many of those being laid off are within months of retirement?
Not sure...unionized workers have layoff which is temporary furlough. They are recalled later to work per union contract with UPS.
Management workers are laid off permanently. Terminated employment is the correct word.

anonymous23456

I’m curious how soon they’re going to get this ball rolling?!
You don't have to worry about that. You only have to worry about these tidbits from internet:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Living in rural America, there's no way they'd close the small centers spaced 100 miles apart lol
think again, we can close those centers and use Surepost as our service offering

"It’s just gonna make full time drivers more money driving longer distances but they think it saves money on the short term"

"It’s not really short term, the new automated hubs are hugely expensive but can do 75k pph+ with less people than the equivalent conventional hubs.

On top of that, that’s less supes, managers, etc that are needed to “oversee” the employees so it’s not just reducing payroll for union workers."

"I work at a center with 40-50ish routes that go out on a typical day. Closest mega hub is about an hour away. Other larger centers are about 30-45 minutes away but they're pretty maxed out on space, as is our building. Don't really see how they could close our building and move our routes to other buildings that have no space, at least that's how I'm justifying it in my head to try to keep myself from stressing lol"

"It actually does save them money. It’s cheaper to pay 2 drivers OT than to just create another route and hire a third driver. Thats why companies run skeleton crews. They’re saving money by not having to pay for that third drivers healthcare and pension."

"Is this going to be a “well we don’t count hub closures as layoffs, because they have the option to move… or quit… I guess if we did sure, by the end of the year the 12k number will be closer to 80k… still 220k pieces of :censored2: left to go hahaha, but don’t print that, hey, stop recording, Tony call secur-“

KearsargeCoop

Baseball, dart board
You don't have to worry about that. You only have to worry about these tidbits from internet:

think again, we can close those centers and use Surepost as our service offering

"It’s just gonna make full time drivers more money driving longer distances but they think it saves money on the short term"

"It’s not really short term, the new automated hubs are hugely expensive but can do 75k pph+ with less people than the equivalent conventional hubs.

On top of that, that’s less supes, managers, etc that are needed to “oversee” the employees so it’s not just reducing payroll for union workers."

"I work at a center with 40-50ish routes that go out on a typical day. Closest mega hub is about an hour away. Other larger centers are about 30-45 minutes away but they're pretty maxed out on space, as is our building. Don't really see how they could close our building and move our routes to other buildings that have no space, at least that's how I'm justifying it in my head to try to keep myself from stressing lol"

"It actually does save them money. It’s cheaper to pay 2 drivers OT than to just create another route and hire a third driver. Thats why companies run skeleton crews. They’re saving money by not having to pay for that third drivers healthcare and pension."

"Is this going to be a “well we don’t count hub closures as layoffs, because they have the option to move… or quit… I guess if we did sure, by the end of the year the 12k number will be closer to 80k… still 220k pieces of :censored2: left to go hahaha, but don’t print that, hey, stop recording, Tony call secur-“
Just curious...you big into Star Trek?

JustDeliverIt

It has been happening. However, it started in 2019 with HR and BD (Business Development).

HR was actually useful at the local level, but that being said that was 5 years ago. The 12k they announced are new layoffs, want to see what we're dealing with post chopping block at our place.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
It has been happening. However, it started in 2019 with HR and BD (Business Development).

They eliminated the HR department in our building years ago. I remember there was a HR lady that was close to retiring at that time who didn’t transfer to ops or take the buy out. She went on long term disability (mental anguish I believe) in order to get to that full retirement benefit then got out. Smart..

Sporhwhore

I live in a county with 500,000 plus people that currently has 2 small centers 40 routes each from what I’m told that are more than likely going to close and the work is going to be sent to 2 automated facilities and windshield time is going to go through the roof and my particular county with half a million people will have zero ups facilities!

Sporhwhore

Talk and text sorry for the run-on sentence, but wow are they making a huge mistake all this to cut a few supervisor positions

RangerMan06

If you have 50 drivers running 2 hrs OT each or even 1hr each, they would absolutely save money by running more routes. Especially if they are laying FT drivers off anyways

542thruNthru

I live in a county with 500,000 plus people that currently has 2 small centers 40 routes each from what I’m told that are more than likely going to close and the work is going to be sent to 2 automated facilities and windshield time is going to go through the roof and my particular county with half a million people will have zero ups facilities!
How far will your drive to work be now?

anonymous23456

What hubs are closing? Is there a list anywhere?
People in this forum do not have that info. Unless you pick up the phone and call the guy below or Tome herself. I don't think she even cares or knows. She probably just says "do it".

Nando Cesarone​

EVP & President U.S.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Given what I read on the internet, the following are closed permanently. I'm sure the list is long.
Baltimore, MD center
Mechanicsville, VA center

Not sure of permanent status:
Portland Oregon Swan Island day sort will be getting shut down
Happening in Warwick, RI
The building in Redmond had its night sort shut down a few months ago. The big hub in Tacoma absorbed all of it on night shift. It was a good double shift opportunity for a while. A lot of the full time guys and a few part timers followed the work to Tacoma.

Last edited:

anonymous23456

From the internet:

"This is going to initially predominantly affect management. However, this time around, it's going to hit the union hard as well. There are going to be several buildings that shut down, and low seniority will be on layoff for most of this year. Volume is way down, and revenue per piece is up, lower volume, and more revenue, but lower profit means job cuts. The union is not safe anymore, unfortunately. The macroeconomics point towards this lasting several years."

anonymous23456

Another from the internet:

"At the Phila airport they laid off 50 part timers with five years or less. They took all of our Florida planes and sent them to Louisville."

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
If you have 50 drivers running 2 hrs OT each or even 1hr each, they would absolutely save money by running more routes. Especially if they are laying FT drivers off anyways

Don’t think so. They only pay pension and healthcare contributions on the first 40 hours worked. Hours 40 thru 60 are actually cheaper.

Also factor in that a lot of drivers move faster when they are overloaded. If they give us easy days we dick around too much 😂

Status
Not open for further replies.