Typical Package Handler Hours [Also:] Probation?

Rawrzxor

When I was hired and in orientation, we were told that we were guaranteed 3.5 hours a day. And that we'd probably average 5 hours a day. That was another reason I took the job.

I worked 9 hours, today. Don't get me wrong. The over-time is all well and good, but I have important things to do. I can handle 5-6, even 7 hours, but when it starts getting to 8-10, I just can't do it even if I wanted to. I'm not going to sacrifice my sleep or education in order to make 8.5 or even 12.75 an hour.

What is the purpose of the probation period? To my understanding, this is when they try you out and fire you if you :censored2: up somehow.

They had me go over to 'blue' to help them out after I finished my truck and all the irregs in my area. Two hours later, after I finished a truck and *all* of the irregs *there*, I just walked out. As I was told to, I walked over to yellow and told one of the supervisors that I was told to tell her I was leaving. I proceeded to leave. On the way out of yellow, I ran into another PT supervisor who asked me if I left blue. I said, 'Yes. I finished my truck.' He walked away. As I followed the meandering path to the guard shack to do my daily strip dance, I ran into the full time super supervisor--the one who brought us over to blue in the first place; he gave me dap and continued on his way.

I'm a bit anxious about doing anything wrong since I'm on probation and am aiming for a long-term career with UPS, but I really can't see anything that I did wrong here. My brain seems to think it's a good idea to mull over the possibilities, however. Is probation more of a joke or is it seriously easy to get fired in the first 30 days? Does the union still protect you?

I've also pondered whether or not I'm required to stay after the usual 10pm end of work day, when most of the trucks are finished: if so, lending credence to this phrase I've heard, " 'Boss means master in Latin/Greek' " I think this because the supervisors usually use words like, "Hey, do me a favor and ----".

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Probation is essentially an evaluation period for both you and the company to see if the job's a good fit. For you, this would include the hours. To ensure this isn't a fluke, ask your senior co-workers how many hours they typically average. But you need to work as directed and stay until you're asked to leave (or it's assumed you can leave) -- senior employee get to decide whether they want to stay or go.

For the company, it's generally looking at reliability (attendance) and whether or not you're able to perform the work. I live in the Midwest where unemployment is still high, so the company's been able to pick & choose who'd it like to keep over the past several years... people aren't formally fired, the company just makes the decision not to call them back to work, thereby ending their employment. But you'd know if you were in this position since management would (in most cases) talk to you about your performance if it was subpar.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Probation is essentially an evaluation period for both you and the company to see if the job's a good fit. For you, this would include the hours. To ensure this isn't a fluke, ask your senior co-workers how many hours they typically average. But you need to work as directed and stay until you're asked to leave (or it's assumed you can leave) -- senior employee get to decide whether they want to stay or go.

For the company, it's generally looking at reliability (attendance) and whether or not you're able to perform the work. I live in the Midwest where unemployment is still high, so the company's been able to pick & choose who'd it like to keep over the past several years... people aren't formally fired, the company just makes the decision not to call them back to work, thereby ending their employment. But you'd know if you were in this position since management would (in most cases) talk to you about your performance if it was subpar.

That's how It goes in nyc. They just permanenly unscheduled you and dont give you anymore days. I've seen a guy brought back 3 months after a sup permanently unscheduled him. He only work that day, he was history after. So many people are desperate for jobs here in nyc. There are guys in my center who have been working for the company for almost a year, and only get 1-2 days a week.

It sounds to me like OP started off saying to supervisors, "I finished my work. Is there anything else you need me to do?" but then after he got fed up with the hours, he finished his last batch of extra work and said to supervisors, "I finished my work so now I'm headed home," and they said, "Ok."

Obviously the supervisors didn't have a problem with OP's work ethic on that day.

But OP also seems to be asking, "If I told the supervisors I'd never be willing to work more than 7 hours in a single day, and I'd prefer not to work more than 5 or 6 on most days, do I risk getting fired?"

I have no idea. If I were a supervisor, it seems like having a solid worker for 6 hours would be better than having nobody, but some people on this site and at my center seem to think that anyone can get fired at the drop of a hat (and then get rehired after a union hearing if they're union, which OP isn't), so who knows.

Johnny Paycheck

Speak softly and carry a big stick.
No you don't have union protection until you hit seniority. And it's certainly not a fireable offense to say "I was hired under the impression that I would be working, at most, 6 hours a day. If that isn't true than I need to speak with (FT sup's name)." My FT sup is a pretty great guy, maybe that's not true for you, but mine would bust some heads if he heard about sups not giving PTer's permission to leave at the end of the sort.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
That's how It goes in nyc. They just permanenly unscheduled you and dont give you anymore days. I've seen a guy brought back 3 months after a sup permanently unscheduled him. He only work that day, he was history after. So many people are desperate for jobs here in nyc. There are guys in my center who have been working for the company for almost a year, and only get 1-2 days a week.
That's because they haven't given up and quit like they should have.

Rawrzxor

Well, I'm a bit paranoid about losing my job due to the insinuation of the word 'probation'. My driver this past peak was telling me they fire people at the drop of the hat. Two of the supervisors said I was doing great, today, but that just made me more paranoid since I've been dragging more and more because of 'over-training'--my muscles haven't healed from the damage, and I have to keep damaging them. But, I suppose I should take them at their word, right?

I didn't technically have permission. One supervisor told me to tell a different supervisor, 'I'm leaving,' when I was done with some irregs (well, a *lot* of irregs). Instead, the full time supervisor borrowed me and brought me to blue. I stayed there an hour and a half, two hours doing irregs and finishing off a truck. By that time it was near midnight, and I decided that was enough. I left blue without permission, and went to the yellow supervisor and told her, 'I'm leaving.' She kinda looked at me oddly, then walked away without a word (something she tends to do often. Rudely) I passed another supervisor, whom didn't stop me. Then I passed the full time supervisor who gave me dap.

My concern here is that they're not very invested in me, and wouldn't even care to tell me if I'm wrong in leaving. As in, "If you're going to leave without permission, leave and don't come back." Or putting it on some kind of tally or something. I get worried easily.

Cool. Tomorrow we're only working 5 hours, I think, maybe 6-7 if they decide to keep me, but it should only be 5 hours. I'll try to hold out as long as I can, but when it gets too heavy I'll talk to the full time.

I *do* drive an Accord, oddly enough. xD

PT Car Washer

What is a "dap"? Where do you work that you are getting so many hours? Our sorts are lucky to get 3 1/2. I am surprised someone with higher seniority does not grieve all your extra hours.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Well, I'm a bit paranoid about losing my job due to the insinuation of the word 'probation'. My driver this past peak was telling me they fire people at the drop of the hat. Two of the supervisors said I was doing great, today, but that just made me more paranoid since I've been dragging more and more because of 'over-training'--my muscles haven't healed from the damage, and I have to keep damaging them. But, I suppose I should take them at their word, right?

I didn't technically have permission. One supervisor told me to tell a different supervisor, 'I'm leaving,' when I was done with some irregs (well, a *lot* of irregs). Instead, the full time supervisor borrowed me and brought me to blue. I stayed there an hour and a half, two hours doing irregs and finishing off a truck. By that time it was near midnight, and I decided that was enough. I left blue without permission, and went to the yellow supervisor and told her, 'I'm leaving.' She kinda looked at me oddly, then walked away without a word (something she tends to do often. Rudely) I passed another supervisor, whom didn't stop me. Then I passed the full time supervisor who gave me dap.

My concern here is that they're not very invested in me, and wouldn't even care to tell me if I'm wrong in leaving. As in, "If you're going to leave without permission, leave and don't come back." Or putting it on some kind of tally or something. I get worried easily.

Cool. Tomorrow we're only working 5 hours, I think, maybe 6-7 if they decide to keep me, but it should only be 5 hours. I'll try to hold out as long as I can, but when it gets too heavy I'll talk to the full time.

I *do* drive an Accord, oddly enough. xD

Yes, you're definitely paranoid and over thinking this. But still, what you did was wrong. You should have told the supervisor that you were working with that you were leaving, as well. Nothing will change after probation, they still can discipline/restrict you for (from) leaving early without their permission

J

jibbs

Nothing will change after probation, they still can discipline/restrict you for (from) leaving early without their permission

Truth. In the center I work out of, though, management won't hone in on preload attendance problems or people leaving early unless there's another, more serious (to a supervisor on a personal level, from what I've seen) issue with the PTer in question.

There's one dude that no-call-no-shows about 3 times a week and has done so for as long as I can remember. As one of my supervisor's put it, he either "knows someone, friend*ed someone or has dirt on someone," because someone higher up just won't let his termination be seen through.

Don't get me wrong, dude's cool and I don't mind the little extra chaos that results in me staying a little later to clean up-- well... most days, anyways-- but it's :censored2: like that that's led me to believe it's pretty much an act of God for anyone with seniority and working inside at UPS to be terminated.

PT Car Washer

Just another excuse for a supervisor to be working. Not that they need an excuse. Watched a sup working on preload the other morning. He told me he was training. When I asked him who he was training he told me the preloader had his 3 1/2 hours in and was sent home.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I'm still trying to figure out if the OP hopes to make ups a career why are they worried about their education?

Ups will teach them all they need to know. ;)

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
They're not vested in you because you sound like a whiny newbie box monkey. You show up on time...and work as directed. That includes what time you leave....you leave when told...you don't "decide" when you're done, unless you quit.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Truth. In the center I work out of, though, management won't hone in on preload attendance problems or people leaving early unless there's another, more serious (to a supervisor on a personal level, from what I've seen) issue with the PTer in question.

There's one dude that no-call-no-shows about 3 times a week and has done so for as long as I can remember. As one of my supervisor's put it, he either "knows someone, friend*ed someone or has dirt on someone," because someone higher up just won't let his termination be seen through.

Don't get me wrong, dude's cool and I don't mind the little extra chaos that results in me staying a little later to clean up-- well... most days, anyways-- but it's :censored2: like that that's led me to believe it's pretty much an act of God for anyone with seniority and working inside at UPS to be terminated.
it depends...if you're a good loader with senority....yes we tend to get away with more a lil crap sometimes. But I've seen plenty of vested PTers fired for cardinal sins (usually theft)....so it does happen.