Ught ooooo The machines are here.

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Staydryitsraining, May 13, 2019.

1. Staydryitsraining

Staydryitsraining Active Member

2. Ups would actually have to spend money though...and not just that, pay a competitor.

3. Poop Head

Poop Head rubber bands on the handle

I wonder if they can tape a box decently

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. Days

Days Active Member

Read online that Uber drivers are going on strike. Can only cut costs so much before the workers get fed up. Amazon is dumb. I’d love to see the reaction on all the worker’s faces being laid off because they got machines to do their work for them.

Only part I’m happy about is maybe the Amazon boxes won’t be so flimsy.

5. JL 0513

JL 0513 Well-Known Member

Within a year of announcing a $15/hr minimum wage within the company. Who would have ever seen this coming?

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  6. Old Man Jingles

Old Man Jingles Rat out of a cage

Don't be too happy ... you are a target for the same type automation at UPS.

7. I had to quote you because there is no ‘BAM’ badge. So tired of trying to explain their crappy packaging. I hope we charge them for tape, but I’m sure we don’t.

• Like Like x 1
    • Beer Beer x 1
    • List
  8. It’s almost as if it’s only sticky on the sides of the packages and the part that’s supposed to seal the main opening just quits.

9. Amazon isn't dumb, they know exactly what they are doing.

Plus having your stock being valued at x10 that of UPS doesn't hurt either. They have cash to burn. If it fails, who cares? They have cash to spare.....

Amazon stock.png

10. wait are you for or against a minimum wage?

11. JL 0513

In this case, Amazon implemented their own minimum wage which of course is fine. But now we see them eliminating these entry jobs with robotics immediately after the significant wage increase. Coincidence?

As for a Federal minimum wage? No, there shouldn't be. It's not their place. Businesses compete for labor and that self regulates wages. A federal minimum sets the bar low and thus becomes the automatic wage in an entry level job. That wage would likely be higher without the federal mandate.

As for a the idea of a $15 federal minimum? That would be devastating. Automation would take over most low skill jobs eliminating the important starting point for young people. We already see order kiosks at fast food restaurants. The next step is machines that actually assemble burgers/sandwiches which does exist and is waiting to be implemented if the wage reaches a breaking point.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  12. PappyLand

PappyLand Active Member

Hope they get the robots to pack our trucks

13. JL 0513

Do you want them to deliver the packages too?

14. brownmonster

brownmonster Man of Great Wisdom

Will the robot also put a 50lb bag of dog food and 12 inches of bubble wrap in a refrigerator sized box?

15. Yes but only if the dog food has about 14 inches of room to shift.

16. Package Stick

Package Stick "Send it."

I'm triggered right now, stop it guys, I'm calling my daddy.

17. GameCockFan

GameCockFan Active Member

Automation is coming for millions more jobs in this economy. Retail workers, call center workers, fast food workers, truck drivers, and on and on throughout the economy. The level of the minimum wage is irrelevant. If the minimum wage was indexed to inflation or productivity it would be well over $20/hr. We are at a crossroads, near a large shift in our economy, not unlike the Industrial Revolution of the past. Many are going to be left behind. I wouldn't encourage anyone to see UPS as a future career.

I believe this is the last days of a unionized UPS. With the vote no movement, social media, the forcing of the contract on members, there is going to be a lot of anger and resentment on the employee side at the end of this agreement. Turn by turn directions, Orion, driverless truck in feeders. I think the company will take this opportunity to bust the union.

Some interesting videos discussing automation, the changing economy, and a universal basic income.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  18. rod

rod retired and happy

Apparently they haven't stopped to consider how easy it is to sabotage a machine -----if workers have any balls left.

19. Austin.Was.My.Hero

Austin.Was.My.Hero quod erat demonstrandum

MAGA!