Un-freaking believable!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Our building has a 27-year driver who retired on Wednesday.

He ran his route and had just delivered the last stop of his UPS career. On his way back to the building....he was involved in a Tier 3 intersection accident.

The driver who hit him had run a stop sign on a blind corner, and was cited by police. There were no injuries. The package car will need some body work and a new bumper but it was still driveable.

So on his last day at work he wound up sitting in the office filling out accident reports until 8:00. Yuck. What a way to end a career.

The part that really sucks is that, since he is still technically on the payroll for 6 more weeks of vacation...he will probably be getting a warning letter for the accident even though he will never again drive a package car.

At least he wont have to do any more assessments or be quizzed on the 10 pt commentary again!

srvhero

"leastbest"
Wow. Thank God there were no injuries. Best of luck to him. I often wonder what it feels like to deliver that LAST stop before retirement. I can't imagine a better feeling. Well...I can, but that is a completely different thread. PEACE OUT !!

over9five

Staff member
You know, the best thing about this? He sat there till 8:00 reporting the accident AND NOT CARING WHAT IT WOULD LEAD TO.

Yeah sup, just mail that warning letter to me!

island1fox

warning letter for what?

Tie,
I have been retired for a number of years now --but to answer your question UPS always took the position that an intersection accident is always avoidable and charges the driver with the accident.
I would certainly hope --and believe --unless the consistency rule applies --that because of the retirement --the Company would make an exception in this case.
Most of all I am glad that our driver nor others were injured !!

tieguy

Banned
An avoidable accident.

If you are in the truck and it is moving and there is an accident....it will be deemed "avoidable".

approximately a third of the accidents in our district end up being unavoidable.

It is possible that this accident was avoidable if the driver did not clear the intersection but the other details you list would indicate an unavoidable.

brownman15

maybe in your part of the woods but in mine as well as soberups everything is avoidable. we have been told that if we follow the five seeing habits we will never get in a accident. if we get in one it is from not following the habits

Re-Raise

maybe in your part of the woods but in mine as well as soberups everything is avoidable. we have been told that if we follow the five seeing habits we will never get in a accident. if we get in one it is from not following the habits

Same here. I am glad no one was injured in the accident.

Don't you know managers can control accidents and injuries with slogans and warning letters ? Right Tieguy.

Obviously after 27 years he has memorized all the Dok slogans and utilizes the methods. Some things we just can not control.

Re-Raise

An avoidable accident.

If you are in the truck and it is moving and there is an accident....it will be deemed "avoidable".

I will go a step further and add even if you are parked and away from your truck and there is an accident .... it will be deemed "avoidable".

RoyalFlush

One of Them
approximately a third of the accidents in our district end up being unavoidable.

It is possible that this accident was avoidable if the driver did not clear the intersection but the other details you list would indicate an unavoidable.

Approximately two thirds of the accidents in my district are not reported. Of the one third that are reported, two thirds of them are reported under the wrong cause/tier. Where I come from, if you stop in an intersection (either before or after the accident) then it counts as hit while parked/tier 1. If you hit anything other than a police car, pedestrian, or a vehicle occupied by a witness, then it didn't really even happen. It's an unfunny reality of a joke and it's supported from the top down to the driver/operator. Everyone wins when it comes to accident frequency. A vehicle without accident damage is like trying to find Waldo.

Re-Raise

Approximately two thirds of the accidents in my district are not reported. Of the one third that are reported, two thirds of them are reported under the wrong cause/tier. Where I come from, if you stop in an intersection (either before or after the accident) then it counts as hit while parked/tier 1. If you hit anything other than a police car, pedestrian, or a vehicle occupied by a witness, then it didn't really even happen. It's an unfunny reality of a joke and it's supported from the top down to the driver/operator. Everyone wins when it comes to accident frequency. A vehicle without accident damage is like trying to find Waldo.

Sounds like your management team looks great on paper.

:wink2: See you at the Circle of Honor BigBrownWeb.

RoyalFlush

One of Them
Absolutely. We have very few accidents in my area, just lots of evidence. Seems odd and it's soooooo obvious I can't beleive it's not noticed by the region and corp folks.

Diego

Most Feeder Drivers don't drive on their "last" day, for good reason. Imagine the carnage (grin)

Same here for package car drivers, your last day is in building and you get to go to lunch with center manager. Usually leave under 8 but get paid for all day. Of course, no one has retired since the economy crashed and we lost our safe driving awards. So the policy might have changed.