Un-freaking believable!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Here the driver does go on the road for their last day to give them a chance to say "goodbye" to their customers. They will usually lighten them up a bit but not always. They have cake and most of the retirees will come and help mark the occasion. They will present the driver with a plaque and, if applicable, give the spouse some flowers.

They will then wait until the retiree has exhausted all of his vacation/personal/sick time before even thinking about putting the run up for bid just in case he "changes his mind". Been there 20 years and have yet to have one "change his mind".

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Our last 2 accidents were determined to be unavoidable after running the driver thru the mill. A kid looking at the floor let his foot off the brake and rolled into our truck. Another backed out of a driveway 30 feet away into our truck. As far as retiring, we no longer get our last day payed, most save a personal for that. A few guys chose not to have the 5 minute ceremony in the morn, I believe I will do the same.

rod

Retired 22 years
I'm surprised he didn't lay down and start floppin like a fish out of water complaining about back injuries and head aches. He passed up a golden opportunity to "milk the system" on his way out.

P

pickup

Just finished his last delivery and headed back on his last day. Is it possible his mind was somewhere else? Reminiscing about days past or fantasizing about days to come? In other words , was his full attention somewhere not where it should be? I know, blind corner, yadda yadda yadda. Still , I wonder. It is said for an accident to occur, that a conspiracy of elements is needed. One missing and the accident doesn't happen. I wonder if he provided one of the elements. I speak as a driver and I know that sometimes getting distracted in my own thoughts can cause trouble. That is why I try to keep an even keel.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'm surprised he didn't lay down and start floppin like a fish out of water complaining about back injuries and head aches. He passed up a golden opportunity to "milk the system" on his way out.

Perhaps he took pride in his career, wanted to end it that way and move on to enjoy his retirement.

browniehound

Just finished his last delivery and headed back on his last day. Is it possible his mind was somewhere else? Reminiscing about days past or fantasizing about days to come? In other words , was his full attention somewhere not where it should be? I know, blind corner, yadda yadda yadda. Still , I wonder. It is said for an accident to occur, that a conspiracy of elements is needed. One missing and the accident doesn't happen. I wonder if he provided one of the elements. I speak as a driver and I know that sometimes getting distracted in my own thoughts can cause trouble. That is why I try to keep an even keel.

Yeah? Don't forget your tie as you head out the door in the morning.

over9five

Staff member
I wondered the same thing as Pickup, and I'm sure his management team did too. Not saying it happened like that, but you have to at least consider it.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

This particular driver had something like 15 years of safe driving and no lost time injuries.

He is active and plans on playing a lot of golf and tennis this summer. Its tough to do that when you are wearing a neck brace and faking an injury.

He actually did have a "golden opportunity" to milk the system a few years ago when a woman in a minivan ran a light and hit his drivers side door at 50 MPH. As a precaution they took him to the hospital on a stretcher with a neck brace....but he was back to full duty within a week and although he could have sued the woman and filed a big workmans comp claim, he chose not to.

Despite what many in management might think....some of us drivers do have integrity.

P

pickup

I wondered the same thing as Pickup, and I'm sure his management team did too. Not saying it happened like that, but you have to at least consider it.

Thank you! I was considering censoring myself like I have done so many other times.

I ain't saying it happened that way either. I wasn't there, soberups wasn't there and you , dear reader, weren't there. Just a consideration.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Pickup, you do bring up a valid point. One of the drawbacks of having the same area is that you tend to become complacent and perhaps not as aware of your surroundings as you should be. On the other hand, having the same area, you get to know the potential problem areas and those areas that require extra attention.

It is quite possible that he may have been distracted or perhaps not as aware of his surroundings as he should have been.

Rod's suggestion simply reinforces my opinion of him.

P

pickup

Not sure why you dismiss details contributing to the accident like this.

I did not dismiss the details, I acknowledged the blind corner. I also acknowledged the other details that the original poster mentioned like the fact that it was his last day, after his last stop, etc. Again, I am a driver for ups and I know that little happy feeling that arises in me after my last driving task of the day ,knowing that the only thing that stands between me and punching out is getting my tractor to a parking space. How much more of that feeling did this driver experience? That is all I rhetorically asked. Anyway, what difference does it make? This guy isn't affected by this accident in any way , shape or form.

P

pickup

Pickup, you do bring up a valid point. One of the drawbacks of having the same area is that you tend to become complacent and perhaps not as aware of your surroundings as you should be. On the other hand, having the same area, you get to know the potential problem areas and those areas that require extra attention.

It is quite possible that he may have been distracted or perhaps not as aware of his surroundings as he should have been.

Rod's suggestion simply reinforces my opinion of him.

The most dangerous night at my hub, in my opinion, is friday night around 7:00 pm. We have a lot of drivers coming back to the hub looking to get a start on the weekend. Right of way becomes more of who can occupy that space first. Come to think of it, Friday nights in general on the road are also more dangerous as many people are rushing to get home as well and are more likely to roll stop signs and gun through that yellow light.

As I was saying, I wasn't there for this man's accident. It is just something that ran through my mind. I am glad that no one was hurt and that the driver can go on to enjoy his retirement and I am sure this incident will be an amusing story he can re tell throughout the years. It might be the equivalent of a soldier surviving on a tour of vietnam for two years without a scratch only to slip and hurt himself on the stairs(stairs that were slippery, unsafe - I will throw that in) going up into the airplane that wil be taking him home.

As for Rod and your opinion of him , I aint touching that with a ten foot pole. It is more amusing to watch a quarrell go on without adding fuel to the fire and then get accussed of starting the fight. If I can add fuel to this fire with no one noticing , that is a different story.

P

pickup

Hey Rod, this statement reminds me of something. Didn't you once post that you had a workman's comp injury and that one of your managers thought you were milking it? I only ask because I am not sure as you might have posted that story a while back in passing. Not adding fuel to the fire, just asking.:peaceful:

rod

Retired 22 years
Hey Rod, this statement reminds me of something. Didn't you once post that you had a workman's comp injury and that one of your managers thought you were milking it? I only ask because I am not sure as you might have posted that story a while back in passing. Not adding fuel to the fire, just asking.:peaceful:

Good memory there pickup. Yes- I screwed up my back after 17 years of not missing one day of scheduled work and the center manager called me after about a week and told me "to get my lying ***** back to work". UPS management are know for their kind and caring ways you know:happy2: When I did get sent back after about a month and a half of therapy it was suppose to be light duty work for awhile. Part of my Light duty turned out to be and route that encluded loading 2 pallets of printed material a day at a local printers. I did it but I really took my time being careful. I retired healthy at 30 years and 26 days. The extra 26 days was because I wanted it in black and white from the Union that I was eligble for a full pension. After 30 years I didn't believe anything anybody just told told me over the phone (that encludes from the Union) ---------------------I do have 2 friends though that managed to screw up their backs just before retiring. Both of them milked the system for an additional year.