Unbelievable...update on FMLA situation

10 Pt

Actually, those are allowed ... in fact, mods use * to edit out a full word.
Another is friend*
I was just joking with you.
IMG_20170514_010949.jpg

All I found was this. I didn't tell on you though.
Boil some peanuts and you'll forget all about it.

10 Pt

What you state makes sense and that may even be the law.
My point was that this is not covered under HIPPA.
Hippa is 99% applicable to the provider and the employer is not the provider.
I would appreciate you posting a link to anywhere in HIPPA regulations that covers confidentiality responsibilities for the employer.
I found a case where a lawyers advice was pretty much what I posted and that's why I posted it.
My motto is don't post until you google and I spent over half an hour reading through the HIPPA site at HHS.gov
I stand by my statement until you or someone else provides a link that would correct my research.
We, as employees, have limited exposure to who shares what with whom in HIPAA situations at work.
I got how that works though.
I had a center manager barge into my examination room uninvited. That, would be a problem if I had pushed it.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
What you state makes sense and that may even be the law.
My point was that this is not covered under HIPPA.
Hippa is 99% applicable to the provider and the employer is not the provider.
I would appreciate you posting a link to anywhere in HIPPA regulations that covers confidentiality responsibilities for the employer.
I found a case where a lawyers advice was pretty much what I posted and that's why I posted it.
My motto is don't post until you google and I spent over half an hour reading through the HIPPA site at HHS.gov
I stand by my statement until you or someone else provides a link that would correct my research.
Educate yourself:
Summary of the HIPAA Privacy Rule
What Information is Protected
Protected Health Information.
The Privacy Rule protects all "individually identifiable health information" held or transmitted by a covered entity or its business associate, in any form or media, whether electronic, paper, or oral. The Privacy Rule calls this information "protected health information (PHI)."12
“Individually identifiable health information” is information, including demographic data, that relates to:

the individual’s past, present or future physical or mental health or condition,
the provision of health care to the individual, or
the past, present, or future payment for the provision of health care to the individual,

A major purpose of the Privacy Rule is to define and limit the circumstances in which an individual’s protected heath information may be used or disclosed by covered entities. A covered entity may not use or disclose protected health information, except either: (1) as the Privacy Rule permits or requires; or (2) as the individual who is the subject of the information (or the individual’s personal representative) authorizes in writing

It's against the law to talk to someone?
Come on ... what you saying doesn't make any sense.
It's against the law for your doctor to discuss anything regarding your medical treatment with anyone that you have not authorized in writing.
Like I said, call some of your old buddies and tell them to do what you're suggesting, I'd be interested to hear how it works out.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Educate yourself:
The Privacy Rule protects all "individually identifiable health information" held or transmitted by a covered entity or its business associate, in any form or media, whether electronic, paper, or oral. The Privacy Rule calls this information "protected health information (PHI)."12
“Individually identifiable health information” is information, including demographic data, that relates to:

the individual’s past, present or future physical or mental health or condition,
the past, present, or future payment for the provision of health care to the individual,

A major purpose of the Privacy Rule is to define and limit the circumstances in which an individual’s protected heath information may be used or disclosed by covered entities. A covered entity may not use or disclose protected health information, except either: (1) as the Privacy Rule permits or requires; or (2) as the individual who is the subject of the information (or the individual’s personal representative) authorizes in writing

It's against the law for your doctor to discuss anything regarding your medical treatment with anyone that you have not authorized in writing.
Like I said, call some of your old buddies and and tell them to do what you're suggesting, I'd be interested to hear how it works out.
Geezus ... Nowhere in your reply does it cover the scenario under discussion.
What a waste of time posting the text of the link I posted for you.
I read what you posted and about 20 times as much.
I think the reason I cannot find anything on this is because the scenario is not covered under HIPPA.

I suggest you go do some research and you can start here.
I am the employer. Can I call a doctor and veri - Q&A - Avvo

Last edited:

10 Pt

Educate yourself:

Like I said, call some of your old buddies and tell them to do what you're suggesting, I'd be interested to hear how it works out.
I might be off base but I believe the root of his statement had to do with non-disclosure of an employee's medical info, the issue that local management don't get briefed on the basis for FMLA being approved and therefore it would take an employee divulging that info to his/her management to make the possibility of a center manager (or management person) being able to know which provider to call to move dates and times of appointments.

Which is crazy ... by the way.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
What a waste of time posting the text of the :censored2:ing link I posted for you.
I think the reason I cannot find anything on this is because the scenario is not covered under HIPPA.

You've gotten lost in your dope haze again, so let me remind you what we're talking about:
Remember that legally they have a right to inquire through certain channels. For instance they can ask your wife's doctor to reschedule appointments if its more convenient for their staffing. Look up employer's rights under FMLA, it's pretty interesting.
However I believe this is something HR would have to do, and not your local management person, like for instance your on car.
Like I said, go ahead and tell some your old buddies to try this.

10 Pt

You've gotten lost in your dope haze again, so let me remind you what we're talking about:

Like I said, go ahead and tell some your old buddies to try this.
I can't believe Fragile's statement can you?
Management rescheduling a cancer patient's appointments?
I don't believe it.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I might be off base but I believe the root of his statement had to do with non-disclosure of an employee's medical info, the issue that local management don't get briefed on the basis for FMLA being approved and therefore it would take an employee divulging that info to his/her management to make the possibility of a center manager (or management person) being able to know which provider to call to move dates and times of appointments.

Which is crazy ... by the way.
You can tell your center manager who your doctor is, that's no big deal. But he absolutely cannot just call your doctor and start asking questions, rescheduling your appointments to suit his staffing, etc. Any Doctor who knows the law will just hang up on him.

10 Pt

You can tell your center manager who your doctor is, that's no big deal. But he absolutely cannot just call your doctor and start asking questions, rescheduling your appointments to suit his staffing, etc. Any Doctor who knows the law will just hang up on him.
That is nuts.
This isn't communist China.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I'm pretty sure that if your boss tried to call your doctor to get him/her to reschedule your appointments (or for any reason at all) the lawyers would be lining up.
Just curious ... what would be the basis of the litigation?
Harassment?
Poor taste?
It would be a violation of HIPAA law for starters.
Honestly the doctor would simply refuse to discuss it as that would make them liable as well.
Seriously ... what would HIPPA have to do with this?
HIPPA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) appears to be concerned mostly with privacy.
If the center manager calls the doctor, that means the employee told the center manager the doctor's name, which means there is no privacy concerns.
My advice is to never tell your management what your (or wife's) medical condition and the doctors' names.
At UPS, FMLA is handled by an outside agency (AETNA, MetLife, etc.) and UPS and your local management should not have that information unless the employee told them.
Absolutely incorrect. You have to sign a release specifically allowing your employer access to your medical records. Just telling your employer who your doctor is doesn't count.
Educate yourself:

What a waste of time posting the text of the link I posted for you.

First - You didn't tell me what we are talking about.
It's quite possible we are talking about different subjects.
So, since you didn't tell me what we are talking about ... I replied to each side of our conversation above.
These are posts 73, 75, 77, 90, 96, 98, 103 and 104.

At this point, I will continue to research until I get sleepy but I'm not interested in what you have to say about this scenario as you don't appear to understand what is covered under HIPPA and what is not.

Last edited:

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
First - You didn't tell me what we are talking about.
It's quite possible we are talking about different subjects.
So, since you didn't tell me what we are talking about ... I replied to each side of our conversation above.
These are posts 75, 77, 90, 96, 98, 103 and 104.

At this point, I will continue to research until I get sleepy but I'm not interested in what you have to say about this scenario as you don't appear to understand what is covered under HIPPA and what is not.
In all the time it took you to find those posts you could have simply gone back and read Fragile's post which is what I was responding to:
Remember that legally they have a right to inquire through certain channels. For instance they can ask your wife's doctor to reschedule appointments if its more convenient for their staffing. Look up employer's rights under FMLA, it's pretty interesting.
However I believe this is something HR would have to do, and not your local management person, like for instance your on car.
I mean, I quoted him and everything so if you didn't know what I was talking about I'm not sure how that's my fault...

Catatonic

Nine Lives
In all the time it took you to find those posts you could have simply gone back and read Fragile's post which is what I was responding to:

I mean, I quoted him and everything so if you didn't what I was talking about I'm not sure how that's my fault...
So you didn't read my original reply to your post?
Well excuse me.
I'll point it out in big red letter's next time.

or better yet, I'll start a new thread next time since you can't handle two lines of thought at the same time.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
So you didn't read my original reply to your post?
Well excuse me.
I'll point it out in big red letter's next time.

or better yet, I'll start a new thread next time since you can't handle two lines of thought at the same time.
Just because you ran off the rails jabbering like a loon don't expect me to follow you.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I'm pretty sure that if your boss tried to call your doctor to get him/her to reschedule your appointments (or for any reason at all) the lawyers would be lining up.
Just curious ... what would be the basis of the litigation?
Harassment?
Poor taste?
It would be a violation of HIPAA law for starters.
Honestly the doctor would simply refuse to discuss it as that would make them liable as well.
You don't have to ... you already did.

See the big red bolded words.

I took your word you didn't understand what we were discussing ... Hmmmmm

Catatonic

Nine Lives
There seems to be some people providing false information on this so I did a few searches.

The link to the page is the number above the verbiage ... click on the number.
That way you can read it for yourself.

Google search: Can employer call an employee's doctor

(1)
Most Employers are Not “Covered Entities” Under HIPAA
Employees are often concerned that employers, who may have gained information about employee health conditions through leave requests or requests for accommodation, have improperly shared that information with other employees. For example, a supervisor may learn an employee is receiving radiation treatments for cancer, but the employee may prefer that information remain private from other employees. Individuals are often surprised to learn that many employers are not “covered entities” under HIPAA and therefore aren’t bound by those rules. In other words, HIPAA does not prevent an employer from sharing employee health information with other employees in most cases.

(2)
HIPAA Only Applies to Healthcare Providers, Which Usually Excludes Employers
Covered entities under HIPAA are health plans, health care clearinghouses, and health care providers. Privacy rules established by HIPAA apply ONLY to employers if they somehow operate in one or more of those capacities – as a health plan, a health care clearing house or a self insured health care provider. The same standards apply to covered entities in both the public and private sectors. In other words, unless your employer has any kind of health clinic operations available to employees, or provides a self-insured health plan for employees, or acts as the intermediary between its employees and health care providers, it will not be handling the kind of PHI protected by the HIPAA privacy rule.

(3)
Individuals are often surprised to learn that many employers are not “covered entities” under HIPAA and therefore aren't bound by those rules. In other words,HIPAA does not prevent an employer from sharing employee health information with other employees in most cases.

(4)
Your employer can also require you to provide a written medical certification from a health care provider verifying yours or the family member's serious medical condition. And yes, she can call the doctor to verify your work excuse, but the doctor should not release any medical information without your permission.

(5)

A doctor's office shouldn't even verify if you are or aren't a patient without a written HIPAA waiver, or a valid HIPAA exception (e.g. a valid subpoena). That said the HIPAA obligations fall on the doctor's office, not your employer. So your employer is certainly free to try.

Edit: On reflection there are good non-HIPAA related reasons why your employer should avoid, as much as possible, finding anything out about your medical background.
Actual knowledge makes a prima facia case of employment discrimination easier to make.

Last edited: