Unbelievable...update on FMLA situation

10 Pt

Yup. No company input wanted.
You can even get a restriction to get you down to 8 hr days.
There's a lot of leeway but I'm just glad that Aetna has taken over this year. The HRSC venue was not very good.

10 Pt

So true, I envy the guys who love their job.
Management changes, people change, but the prevailing attitude is often retained.
That's why people retire and don't tell management thus leaving a whole route/feeder run sitting.
I'm not advocating this but it happens for reasons just like this scenario precipitates.

Indecisi0n

Management changes, people change, but the prevailing attitude is often retained.
That's why people retire and don't tell management thus leaving a whole route/feeder run sitting.
I'm not advocating this but it happens for reasons just like this scenario precipitates.
Day before I retire is going to be a nightmare for them.

I seriously doubt that the company is going to call our doctors unless it's WC.
But then I've seen other stupid and wilful violations in the past.
We had management talking to doctors of people on WC. Now We can't use two of the closest medical networks for WC claims.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I seriously doubt that the company is going to call our doctors unless it's WC.
But then I've seen other stupid and wilful violations in the past.
I agree ... I was just curious what calling a lawyer would accomplish?

Last time I check, it wasn't against the law to be a D*head, S*head, A*hole, etc.

I never would have and I believe most my management would not do that.

But I had a couple who might have done it. Now with drivers making as much annually and much more hourly than management ... I don't think they really don't care especially since UPS treats management much worse than hourly these days.
Luckily for me, I got into Corporate where human relationships is taken seriously ... and BTW, no one in Corporate makes more than the person to whom they report.

Last edited:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
There's nothing that quite compares to being "the company's greatest asset" blah blah blah.
You still think that is UPS's employees?
Geez Mr Commentary, catch up with the times.
UPS has stated the UPS Brand is it's most important asset.

Last edited:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
It would be a violation of HIPAA law for starters. Honestly the doctor would simply refuse to discuss it as that would make them liable as well.
That's what I figured ... most doctors are really arrogant and they don't listen to anyone when it comes to medical stuff.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
It would be a violation of HIPAA law for starters. Honestly the doctor would simply refuse to discuss it as that would make them liable as well.
Seriously ... what would HIPPA have to do with this?
HIPPA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) appears to be concerned mostly with privacy.
If the center manager calls the doctor, that means the employee told the center manager the doctor's name, which means there is no privacy concerns.
My advice is to never tell your management what your (or wife's) medical condition and the doctors' names.
At UPS, FMLA is handled by an outside agency (AETNA, MetLife, etc.) and UPS and your local management should not have that information unless the employee told them.

ManInBrown

That's what I figured ... most doctors are really arrogant and they don't listen to anyone when it comes to medical stuff.
Good luck even getting a Dr on the phone. It's not possible anymore. You can thank Obamacare for that one. They don't make the money they used to and don't want to be bothered with talking to patients on the phone. You'll either get a call back from the assistant or no call back.

10 Pt

I agree ... I was just curious what calling a lawyer would accomplish?

Last time I check, it wasn't against the law to be a D*head, S*head, A*hole, etc.

I never would have and I believe most my management would not do that.

But I had a couple who might have done it. Now with drivers making as much annually and much more hourly than management ... I don't think they really don't care especially since UPS treats management much worse than hourly these days.
Luckily for me, I got into Corporate where human relationships is taken seriously ... an BTW, no one in Corporate makes more than the person to whom they report.
The folks I knew in corporate were great people. There's no more positive people than them in this company, imo. They seem to be out of the gravitational pull of the stress in the operational trenches.

Hey, you breaking the TOS in your second sentence?!!
Uh oh.

10 Pt

You still think that is UPS's employees?
Geez Mr Commentary, catch up with the times.
UPS has stated the UPS Brand is it's most important asset.
I don't read their magazine or watch TV.
It's just more of the same and when I see their drone clip with the girl driving with her bulkhead door open I just SMH.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Seriously ... what would HIPPA have to do with this?
HIPPA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) appears to be concerned mostly with privacy.
If the center manager calls the doctor, that means the employee told the center manager the doctor's name, which means there is no privacy concerns.
My advice is to never tell your management what your (or wife's) medical condition and the doctors' names.
At UPS, FMLA is handled by an outside agency (AETNA, MetLife, etc.) and UPS and your local management should not have that information unless the employee told them.
Absolutely incorrect. You have to sign a release specifically allowing your employer access to your medical records. Just telling your employer who your doctor is doesn't count. Go ahead and call some of your old buddies at UPS and tell them to do what you're suggesting, let us know how it works out.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Absolutely incorrect. You have to sign a release specifically allowing your employer access to your medical records. Just telling your employer who your doctor is doesn't count. Go ahead and call some of your old buddies at UPS and tell them to do what you're suggesting, let us know how it works out.
What you state makes sense and that may even be the law.
My point was that this is not covered under HIPPA.
Hippa is 99% applicable to the provider and the employer is not the provider.
I would appreciate you posting a link to anywhere in HIPPA regulations that covers confidentiality responsibilities for the employer.
I found a case where a lawyers advice was pretty much what I posted and that's why I posted it.
My motto is don't post until you google and I spent over half an hour reading through the HIPPA site at HHS.gov
I stand by my statement until you or someone else provides a link that would correct my research.