Unbelievable...update on FMLA situation

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Remember that legally they have a right to inquire through certain channels. For instance they can ask your wife's doctor to reschedule appointments if its more convenient for their staffing. Look up employer's rights under FMLA, it's pretty interesting.

However I believe this is something HR would have to do, and not your local management person, like for instance your on car.
Kudos to you ... finally someone who actually understands the law.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Absolutely incorrect. You have to sign a release specifically allowing your employer access to your medical records. Just telling your employer who your doctor is doesn't count. Go ahead and call some of your old buddies at UPS and tell them to do what you're suggesting, let us know how it works out.

You are the one that is wrong.

In addition to being a childish suggestion, your basis for this suggestion is wrong ... an employer can contact your doctor's office and ask anything.
The legal responsibility is on the medical provider ... not the employer.
See post 120

Catatonic

Nine Lives
You can tell your center manager who your doctor is, that's no big deal. But he absolutely cannot just call your doctor and start asking questions, rescheduling your appointments to suit his staffing, etc.

I guess this was suppose to be an ALTERNATIVE FACT but in reality it is just FALSE information.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
It could be true and is certainly legal under HIPPA.
It may be legal for the the Employer to ask ( a complete D* move on their part by the way) , but I doubt it would be for the medical provider to change a date for a medical procedure without consulting with the patient first and getting there okay.
Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should. UPS has been around since 1907 they can survive one day without a particular employee

oldngray

nowhere special
I think I'll roast a goober instead! :wink2:
giphy.gif

Catatonic

Nine Lives
It may be legal for the the Employer to ask ( a complete D* move on their part by the way) , but I doubt it would be for the medical provider to change a date for a medical procedure without consulting with the patient first and getting there okay.
Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should. UPS has been around since 1907 they can survive one day without a particular employee
I agree 900%.
However, that wasn't the question raised by @Fragile