Uniforms

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I know they make a "tall" in the shirts, so probably do in the jackets as well. Ask to see the order form. I got some tall shirts once and they hung down below my......diad hook.
Yep, that's exactly what I wear. I go with jacket cut in both short & long sleeves and needed to order it as a "tall." Our OMS said Twin Hill used to only make the jacket cut in short sleeve, but at the end of last year they started offering the long sleeve jacket cut.

Why do people continue to let this happen. File on it. You are to get your uniforms in a timely manner. I always get mine within a week. I don't understand why it's so different at some centers.
The company is to provide the uniforms--I think it's like 5 shirts per year, but sadly there is no language about how quickly--at least not in my contract. My experience ordering uniforms has been if I order a stock uniform item I get it in a week. Non-standard stuff they have to special order takes forever. Bottom line is you can grieve anything, but if they can show they ordered it, grievance wouldn't go anywhere. The vendor sucks. But yeah, some centers try to give drivers a hard time with uniforms and don't even put the orders in.

I just got my winter clothes I ordered in October. Hopefully I'll get my summer stuff before Labor Day. Most of my stuff is hand me downs from other drivers.
Same here. My "special order" was requested in Late November or early December but the OMS couldn't place the order until after January 1 because their ordering had been shutoff because the center's budget had been exceeded. Took me over 4 months after the order was placed for it to come in, even after monthly calls from the OMS to Men's Wearhouse (Twin Hill).

Marne Vet

I have shirts in my closet that are over 20 years old. A few with the olympic logo on them too. Never know when I might need them again. :)

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Why do people continue to let this happen. File on it. You are to get your uniforms in a timely manner. I always get mine within a week. I don't understand why it's so different at some centers.
What happens is that some Division or District Finance Manager pulls a bright idea out of his ass to save a few bucks and make himself look better on a report by thinning out the uniform ration or just arbitrarily denying uniform requests altogether for a period of time. We went thru this crap about 6 years ago and, like you, I filed a grievance and forced the company to comply with the labor agreement and fill my uniform requests in a timely manner. Even so, there is still a monthly "budget" for uniforms that our center is supposedly not allowed to exceed regardless of how urgent the need for the requested uniforms might be, but if you complain loudly enough or threaten to file then by some miracle the request is granted.

The other method I have suggested to force the company to replace torn or otherwise unsuitable uniforms is to simply report for work in street clothes, clock on, and demand your 8 hour guarantee. Your manager has the ability to submit an "emergency" order and have it shipped overnight; he is simply unwilling to do so because it will make him look bad on some report. Being forced to pay your 8 hour guarantee will help him to develop that willingness because he will wind up looking worse on some report. Getting the results you need at UPS pretty much boils down to finding a way to make the right person look bad on a report.

oldngray

nowhere special
What happens is that some Division or District Finance Manager pulls a bright idea out of his ass to save a few bucks and make himself look better on a report by thinning out the uniform ration or just arbitrarily denying uniform requests altogether for a period of time. We went thru this crap about 6 years ago and, like you, I filed a grievance and forced the company to comply with the labor agreement and fill my uniform requests in a timely manner. Even so, there is still a monthly "budget" for uniforms that our center is supposedly not allowed to exceed regardless of how urgent the need for the requested uniforms might be, but if you complain loudly enough or threaten to file then by some miracle the request is granted.

The other method I have suggested to force the company to replace torn or otherwise unsuitable uniforms is to simply report for work in street clothes, clock on, and demand your 8 hour guarantee. Your manager has the ability to submit an "emergency" order and have it shipped overnight; he is simply unwilling to do so because it will make him look bad on some report. Being forced to pay your 8 hour guarantee will help him to develop that willingness because he will wind up looking worse on some report. Getting the results you need at UPS pretty much boils down to finding a way to make the right person look bad on a report.

I had that problem too. There were a couple of drivers who constantly wanted new ones when theirs got the slightest bit worn and used up the budget. Then when anyone else really needed new uniforms they had to fight to get them.

soberups

I had that problem too. There were a couple of drivers who constantly wanted new ones when theirs got the slightest bit worn and used up the budget. Then when anyone else really needed new uniforms they had to fight to get them.
Back when the uniforms were US-made and of good quality, I had no problem asking my wife to sew on the occasional button or mend the occasional frayed seam because they lasted for years and were made well enough to be worth fixing.

Now the uniforms are garbage, made in Chinese or Bangladeshi sweatshops. I have had crotch seams unravel and split on the first wearing; I have had buttons fall off of brand new shirts during the process of removing them from the bag. Even if the buttons and seams do survive, the material very quickly becomes threadbare and discolored from repeated washings. I'm not going to ask my wife to waste her personal time trying to repair trash. As far as I am concerned, UPS has made a business decision to issue us disposable uniforms so I will respect that decision and simply throw mine away and demand a replacement in 5 or 6 months when they are no longer suitable. If UPS does not wish to replace my uniforms at such a short interval then it can make a different choice as far as the quality that it chooses to buy.

oldngray

nowhere special
I usually had the seams of the new uniforms tear with a couple of months. And the material would definitely wear through very quickly. I would get new uniforms twice a year when I switched between summer and winter wear. The old I uniforms were many times better. I kept those for years and they would still be in good shape.r shape after many years.

iowa boy

I ordered 7 new pair of pants back in February and have already split the crotch or butt out of 3 pair. Biggest waste of material I've ever seen. If I keep splitting them out I guess I will go up two sizes instead of one and maybe those wont split as easy.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
IMAG0824.jpg

Hope I can get these socks to last another three years.

Driver7906

If you rip your pants just go the rest of the day with them ripped if you can. If the Company wants to go cheap on uniforms lets give them the image that they pay for. Send photos of these ripped pants and hole-filled shirts to corporate if we have to. A change with these uniforms is necessary.

The uniform situation at UPS is absolutely disgraceful.

soberups

If you rip your pants just go the rest of the day with them ripped if you can. If the Company wants to go cheap on uniforms lets give them the image that they pay for. Send photos of these ripped pants and hole-filled shirts to corporate if we have to. A change with these uniforms is necessary.

The uniform situation at UPS is absolutely disgraceful.
I am not going to spend 10 hours running a route with my junk hanging out.

I now keep a spare pair of uniform shorts in my duffel bag for such situations, but in the past when it has happened I have just broken trace--on their time---and driven home in order to change into an intact uniform.

As far as sending pictures to Atlanta goes....nobody back there will even give a rats ass. As long as the head bean-counter finds a way to get the uniforms as cheap as possible, the fact that they fall apart and don't fit is someone elses problem not his.

Last edited:

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Really? Pick me up on your way to Winnebago and I'll buy you a 6 pack of socks.
Just got the Whaler out of storage yesterday. Still 15 inches of ice on my usual opening day lakes in Manitowish Waters. Winnebagos walleyes are still in the rivers waiting to spawn. You'll have to wait for a few weeks. Meet at Shreiner's in Fond du lac without the socks. One of my bucket list goals is to make it to retirement with my current inventory of UPS socks.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
View attachment 12707
Hope I can get these socks to last another three years.

Are those even brown anymore? They look blue and by the way, how long ago was the package logo? 15 years?

You my friend, are my hero and inspiration, I am (or thought I was)...the demi-god of wearing socks, undies, and shoes till every last thread falls off my rotting body but seeing those socks, I bow to your excellency!

PS, I've ordered a six pack of socks. I'll send you 3 pairs, that should cover you for the rest of your life!