Union Beginners Course

You have written up stewards for failure to work as directed when they were in a steward capacity? Im calling Bull:censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2: on this!

I notice that you said no pt sup deserves a chewing out before you spoke of an hourly employee, why? Are pt sups better than an hourly employee in your opinion?

I Have been directed by upper management to adress the violation with the sup as its happening, now if he gets out of line in doing so, i can promise you he will not forget our talk. But if he/she is respectable than we now have an open line of communication for the future.

A driver doesn't need to tell me how to run the preload. If The steward is not on the clock they should not be in the way. They can ask about a possible violation. (make it short and sweet) Then get out of the way. I have written up a driver (steward) for yelling and throwing a tantrum telling me what I can't do, and disrupting the operation. A steward can document a violation from the end of the belt and ask about it later.
You can only do so much when you are short handed. Borrow people from other sorts. Call drivers to come in (many don't want to come in at 4:00) Ask drivers to start when they come in.
You can say hiring more preloaders is the answer, but most people wont work if they only work once or twice a week and liad off the rest of the week.

705red

Browncafe Steward
A driver doesn't need to tell me how to run the preload. If The steward is not on the clock they should not be in the way. They can ask about a possible violation. (make it short and sweet) Then get out of the way. I have written up a driver (steward) for yelling and throwing a tantrum telling me what I can't do, and disrupting the operation. A steward can document a violation from the end of the belt and ask about it later.
You can only do so much when you are short handed. Borrow people from other sorts. Call drivers to come in (many don't want to come in at 4:00) Ask drivers to start when they come in.
You can say hiring more preloaders is the answer, but most people wont work if they only work once or twice a week and liad off the rest of the week.
See thats were you are confused kid, as a driver you can ask me to get off, but as a steward you cannot tell me what to do or were to go. Once i begin acting as a steward i will stand next to you and make you as uncomfortable as i can if you are doing my work. If you were a smart enough pt sup you would have asked me to do the work. Its hard to understand were your coming from, since day 1 here you have bragged aboutr being the companies best swing driver and now i just called you out on 2 so-called times you said you handled a steward driver.

See thats were you are confused kid, as a driver you can ask me to get off, but as a steward you cannot tell me what to do or were to go. Once i begin acting as a steward i will stand next to you and make you as uncomfortable as i can if you are doing my work. If you were a smart enough pt sup you would have asked me to do the work. Its hard to understand were your coming from, since day 1 here you have bragged aboutr being the companies best swing driver and now i just called you out on 2 so-called times you said you handled a steward driver.

In this case the steward is one of the drivers called in at 3:30 and one of the drivers asked to work when they came in.

Red,

I never said I was a smart pt sup, I learned a lot the hard way. but never had a grievence paid. I was probably the crapiest pt sup because I had todo it 5 years. And I never said I was the best cover driver ever. Only that I have done about 110 routes. I learn everyday.

KCpkg

I've noticed a lot of posts from people who are bewildered by the UPS environment. It seems either A) Not a strong union presence in the center or 2) Lack of Basic Union Knowledge by the beginners

When I started, I knew union terminology from the stewards who introduced themselves to me and by word of mouth from fellow employees

Are these still common practices around the country? Do they pass out information to the newbies? Whats your take

Here in the KC area the only time I've seen or heard of or from the union was in the first week of training. A steward came by class and stated that for 2.5 times our hourly pay plus one time $50 fee plus annual $50 fee we could join the union. When asked what the benefit was to joining he answered that they have agreements with some chiropractors in the area who will waive the co-pay for union members. When pushed he stated that really there would be no real difference for us but that the union is who negotiated all our beneifts and pay and we should support them.

Guess what, no one in the class seemed even remotely interested in joining.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Here in the KC area the only time I've seen or heard of or from the union was in the first week of training. A steward came by class and stated that for 2.5 times our hourly pay plus one time $50 fee plus annual $50 fee we could join the union. When asked what the benefit was to joining he answered that they have agreements with some chiropractors in the area who will waive the co-pay for union members. When pushed he stated that really there would be no real difference for us but that the union is who negotiated all our beneifts and pay and we should support them.

Guess what, no one in the class seemed even remotely interested in joining.
Kc obviously you are in a right to work state and the decision solely lies with you the employee. It appears the steward did a really bad job explaining to you the benefits of being in any union.

We at ups have a contract negioated for us by the teamsters with united parcel service. This contract details your working rights, seniority, bidding, excessive overtime, management employee relations, vacations, pay, medical benefits and alot more. This insures that everyone is treated equal and that we (both parties to the agreement) have a set guideline in place.

Just imagine if ups was able to pay tom more than you because they felt he was a better employee, you can see the problems this would cause without a collective bargaining agreement. It would be a free for all and you might be thinking right now you can do more than tom and that you do deserve more. But what happens in 10, 15, 20 years down the road and you cannot produce the same. Could the company get rid of you? No not with a contract in place they cant. It costs money to inforce the contract and represent the members, why should only a few carry the burden for the whole group?

I assure you that there will come a day when you will need the unions representation, so why not invest in your future ahead of time and be a member in good standing ahead of time. Mow im not attempting to use scare tactics to have you join, just read these boards and see what has happened to others that thought they would never be in trouble let alone terminated because a boss didnt like them. Im not sure if you are entitled to all of these rights as a non dues paying upser because of your right to work state, but just look at the history of unionism. Alot of people sacraficed early on by striking, fighting and even dieing to join a union and the worst thing we have to do is sign a card. Nothing hard about this its actually a pretty easy choice to honor the memory of all of the fallen. We are better off today because of the sacrafices of others, but yet we cant sacrafice 2 and a half times our hourly rate per month?

Its your decision brother!

KCpkg

Kc obviously you are in a right to work state and the decision solely lies with you the employee. It appears the steward did a really bad job explaining to you the benefits of being in any union.

We at ups have a contract negioated for us by the teamsters with united parcel service. This contract details your working rights, seniority, bidding, excessive overtime, management employee relations, vacations, pay, medical benefits and alot more. This insures that everyone is treated equal and that we (both parties to the agreement) have a set guideline in place.

Just imagine if ups was able to pay tom more than you because they felt he was a better employee, you can see the problems this would cause without a collective bargaining agreement. It would be a free for all and you might be thinking right now you can do more than tom and that you do deserve more. But what happens in 10, 15, 20 years down the road and you cannot produce the same. Could the company get rid of you? No not with a contract in place they cant. It costs money to inforce the contract and represent the members, why should only a few carry the burden for the whole group?

I assure you that there will come a day when you will need the unions representation, so why not invest in your future ahead of time and be a member in good standing ahead of time. Mow im not attempting to use scare tactics to have you join, just read these boards and see what has happened to others that thought they would never be in trouble let alone terminated because a boss didnt like them. Im not sure if you are entitled to all of these rights as a non dues paying upser because of your right to work state, but just look at the history of unionism. Alot of people sacraficed early on by striking, fighting and even dieing to join a union and the worst thing we have to do is sign a card. Nothing hard about this its actually a pretty easy choice to honor the memory of all of the fallen. We are better off today because of the sacrafices of others, but yet we cant sacrafice 2 and a half times our hourly rate per month?

Its your decision brother!

I agree with what you are saying. Sorry if i came across as negative to the union. There's no way UPS would be offering the benefits they do without the union working the contracts.

I was disappointed in the steward. I have never worked a job where even joining a union was an option. I'm not the typical PT package handler either. I'm in my mid 30's have a wife and kids. My wife and I both lost our benefits about a year ago and COBRA is going to be running out soon. One of my kids has some health issues and that was one of the main reasons I came to UPS for the PT job with benefits.

I'm aware the union provides a benefit AND protection but am now taking my time to try and learn more about it UPS wide and locally before I fill out the paperwork. I don't have my seniority yet so its not like they would even start taking the dues yet anyway. If the steward had done his job I probably would have joined that day. Unfortunately he made it sound like there was no reason to join but that we should out of some implied debt. Not a great sales tatic.

tieguy

Banned
I can accept your apology at any time! Go ahead tie man up and admit you were wrong, ups doesnt know who you are, you shouldnt have any retaliation at work from your uppers.

Sounds like its time to end this discussion mano ah mano. I'm willing to meet you anytime / anyplace of your choosing. Let the big dogs swing.

705red

Browncafe Steward
I agree with what you are saying. Sorry if i came across as negative to the union. There's no way UPS would be offering the benefits they do without the union working the contracts.

I was disappointed in the steward. I have never worked a job where even joining a union was an option. I'm not the typical PT package handler either. I'm in my mid 30's have a wife and kids. My wife and I both lost our benefits about a year ago and COBRA is going to be running out soon. One of my kids has some health issues and that was one of the main reasons I came to UPS for the PT job with benefits.

I'm aware the union provides a benefit AND protection but am now taking my time to try and learn more about it UPS wide and locally before I fill out the paperwork. I don't have my seniority yet so its not like they would even start taking the dues yet anyway. If the steward had done his job I probably would have joined that day. Unfortunately he made it sound like there was no reason to join but that we should out of some implied debt. Not a great sales tatic.
Kc you did not come across anti-union by any means. Sounds like your steward did a really bad job and if i was in your shoes i cant say that i would have signed up. I had minimal knowledge of unions before i came to work here myself. My father and uncles were union iron workers but never spoke of the union or had me involved as a child. It took myself several months before i became a teamster upser myself, so theres no hard feelings. Good luck to you.

feeder53

ADKtrails
I believe in todays fast pased business environment, there is very little time to "Teach" anyone the ins and out of the business or the union. This is unfortunate but true. We only have our own integrity and ethics to deal with others quickly. I alway try to work it out with the other person thereby not creating har feelings. I usually try to do it in a private setting so as not to broadcast the talk or make them feel singled out, If that does not work I go to the next level, but I usually work it out the first time. I do not look at it as us against them....We are UPS....We are union......

705red

Browncafe Steward
Sounds like its time to end this discussion mano ah mano. I'm willing to meet you anytime / anyplace of your choosing. Let the big dogs swing.

Tie im willing to meet anyone face to face that i have talks with on here. I type exactly what i would say to anyone face to face. Ask some of the fellows that i have meet hrough here, brownman15, hondo and several others. I am an out spoken individual and i believe in doing whats right all the time and i treat people the same as they treat me. Respect is earned.

Im going to be near tie in a couple weeks and we will meet for a beer, but if he turns up missing i have no knowledge of it! lol Just kidding tie.

tieguy

Banned
Tie im willing to meet anyone face to face that i have talks with on here. I type exactly what i would say to anyone face to face. Ask some of the fellows that i have meet hrough here, brownman15, hondo and several others. I am an out spoken individual and i believe in doing whats right all the time and i treat people the same as they treat me. Respect is earned.

Im going to be near tie in a couple weeks and we will meet for a beer, but if he turns up missing i have no knowledge of it! lol Just kidding tie.

Dang red. I was trying to have some fun with this one...:happy-very:

have to see if we can make it happen. I'll bring some floatation devices just in case.:happy-very:

959Nanook

I believe in todays fast pased business environment, there is very little time to "Teach" anyone the ins and out of the business or the union. This is unfortunate but true. We only have our own integrity and ethics to deal with others quickly.

I have to agree with your sentiments wholeheartedly. My steward has his own job that he has to concern himself with. I know that he is looking out for the interests of the Teamsters in the center because I see him advocating for their interests. In an ideal world, it would be great if he had the time to "teach" us as we came in the door but it is absolutely NOT practical. I'm not sure how (if at all) it could be done, but it would be nice if there was a way to account for UPSers who do not have a traditional apprenticeship.