Union busting: Could we be replaced?

EmpireUPS909

Trailer sweep is a cake walk
Replacement can happen but doesn't happen from one contract to the next. It happens over a long period of time. Example "Company would say that due to feeder driver shortage, they want to have the ability to outsource a percentage of loads". Or "Company can say that due to staffing shortage in the hub, they want to have the ability of bringing in a percentage of workers from a staffing agency". So basically give backs little by little

qdg2

Replacement can happen but doesn't happen from one contract to the next. It happens over a long period of time. Example "Company would say that due to feeder driver shortage, they want to have the ability to outsource a percentage of loads". Or "Company can say that due to staffing shortage in the hub, they want to have the ability of bringing in a percentage of workers from a staffing agency". So basically give backs little by little
I agree.

PT Car Washer

The Union has been giving back to the company for 40 years.

Johney

I posed this question to a few fellow workers. Generally....."I don't know' was the reply.

I've tried to think about how and what would happen based on the 97 strike and what has transpired since then.

Feeders would be the easiest to replace with contractors. I said easiest. Possible with the current trucker shortage? Well, I don't know.

See, if our business was to continue as it does now.......the service has to be rock solid reliable for our customers. Pickups and schedules are tightly controlled. They have to be. Would/do contractors put up with UPS mgt tactics?

Much has been made about making our system idiot proof and that anyone(now) could deliver/load(pre-load) etc.

That DIAD's and such are idiot proof......not so sure about that. Imagine a new off the street driver getting stuck on some screen or whatever out delivering. Who would help him? SPORH has to be followed closely or the system collapses.

As much as we are dismissed and disrespected by mgt........we absolutely make the whole system work....well.

Could we be replaced? You bet!

Now, what would be left(of UPS's reputation and business) and how long would that fully take?

Considering those questions.......how many millions is UPS willing to lose? Even the possibility has customers and the company having to plan their strategy.

My conclusion? It's hard for me to think(given record profit and all) that UPS wants to blow all that up.

It's also hard to imagine the Union wants to kill the golden goose......

Also hard to imagine a/c, 22.4's or anything else that the hot-head hard cores are spewing will go away or be implemented in any significant way. Or $40 per hour part-timers etc. Severely harming our company is a sharp, two edged sword.
Put the pipe away crackhead you have no idea what you're talking about.

qdg2

Put the pipe away crackhead you have no idea what you're talking about.
K.

No idea.....

Had a 4 person conversation couple days ago......

lowest seniority 20+ up to 2- 40+ and a 38......all feeder drivers.

To a man....all laughed at the idea of striking for a/c.......or any of the redline reasons for striking.

Except for one, we were all there in 97.

Went to dinner last night and wife pointed out a UPS truck out at 19:30 delivering....Sat. night......along with Amazon....

Sat. night...........it's here to stay.

Sunday is coming.

My paychecks are above $2k......I won't vote to strike for a snot-nosed part timer....that won't be there in a week.

My words stand. And trust me.......way more folks like me than the hot-head retirees around BC.......jonesing for a strike.

Tell me how much I don't know.

takesteady

K.

No idea.....

To a man....all laughed at the idea of striking for a/c.......or any of the redline reasons for striking.

Went to dinner last night and wife pointed out a UPS truck out at 19:30 delivering....Sat. night......along with Amazon....

Sunday is coming.

My paychecks are above $2k......I won't vote to strike for a snot-nosed part timer....that won't be there in a week.

My words stand. And trust me.......way more folks like me than the hot-head retirees around BC.......jonesing for a strike.

You are deranged. Get a new hobby.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
K.

No idea.....

Sunday is coming.

The Union is smart enough to know a call for a Strike strictly for Part Timers would fall flat on it's face.........however if a couple of more issues that Full Timers want ( REAL excessive OT protection, no forced 6th punch , to name a couple) were tacked on with the concerns for part Times then it very well could happen

oldngray

nowhere special
I’m old and can’t recall, But it was definitely more than one week
It was definitely 3. I was scheduled for vacation one of the weeks and got paid for that and the strike was 2 more weeks. No strike pay for the first week and the strike pay for the 2nd week was about equal to union dues for that month.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
K.

No idea.....

Sunday is coming.

If that "(young) snot nosed part timer" was paying into your pension and health and welfare plans you would...