Union certified Safety committee

10 Pt

Unsafe, illegal parking, safety chains not used on back roll up door, not using designated walk paths. To name a few.
Oh, I see. It's all about hourly being unsafe?
What about the trucks being so dirty that people run into the back of them (2 times that I know of) at night.... or

No C washes; first line trailers are not swept out (ever to our knowledge); company requires employees to regurgitate safety jargon but there's no designated walk paths painted on the lots; restrooms are filthy (in some centers for months); over 70 tape is neglected at every step of the shipping process; and the list goes on.

Yes, these have been addressed. If the management followed through on their end of the deal maybe the hourly would pay attention. You get what you give and no more than that.

NXA

Well I put a concern up on the employee concern log. The way it got addressed was: they printed a new log, sans my complaint. Move along, nothing to see here.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
The "Safety Committee" here, plays no role in the every day safety of our members.
The Company has found a way to bastardize the Article 18 language to make these union committee people into management drones, used to do their work and disguise operational tasks as "safety related" in order to satisfy OSHA and reduce future liability.

Despite a 100 signature petition, that I personally presented to the Local at their monthly EBoard meeting last March, numerous unheard grievances, and constant rhetoric, my Local continues to have zero involvement in this so-called union committee.
The Company hand picks all the members and anoints their choice as the co-chair.

In the 3 individual centers domiciled in my hub, each has their own committee and co-chair.
The co-chair position has evolved into a "new job", where these employees no longer run their bid routes and spend their days shuttling and falsifying delivery records and time cards.
They have desks, computers, email, and participate in conference calls.
They have preferred, self directed start times, and are afforded unparalleled flexibility in regards to time off and early outs.
Three former co-chairs have went on to submit their letters and are now in management.
I have grieved for these jobs to be named and bid by seniority, only to see them squander in lethargy.
In the end, I'm not sure that the Company has not created a new classification, without negotiating it's existence or particulars with the Union.

In the beginning, I thought it to be a novelty that would surely be deemed wasteful and it would be discontinued, but instead it just seems keep growing like a malignant tumor that nobody wants to acknowledge.

10 Pt

The "Safety Committee" here, plays no role in the every day safety of our members.
The Company has found a way to bastardize the Article 18 language to make these union committee people into management drones, used to do their work and disguise operational tasks as "safety related" in order to satisfy OSHA and reduce future liability.

Despite a 100 signature petition, that I personally presented to the Local at their monthly EBoard meeting last March, numerous unheard grievances, and constant rhetoric, my Local continues to have zero involvement in this so-called union committee.
The Company hand picks all the members and anoints their choice as the co-chair.

In the 3 individual centers domiciled in my hub, each has their own committee and co-chair.
The co-chair position has evolved into a "new job", where these employees no longer run their bid routes and spend their days shuttling and falsifying delivery records and time cards.
They have preferred, self directed start times, and are afforded unparalleled flexibility in regards to time off and early outs.
Three former co-chairs have went on to submit their letters and are now in management.
I have grieved for these jobs to be named and bid by seniority, only to see them squander in lethargy.
In the end, I'm not sure that the Company has not created a new classification, without negotiating it's existence or particulars with the Union.

In the beginning, I thought it to be a novelty that would surely be deemed wasteful and it would be discontinued, but instead it just seems keep growing like a malignant tumor that nobody wants to acknowledge.
Safety committee members go to bargaining unit members prior to start time and try to pressure them to start early and recite dok from memory but when it's time for the safety committee members to talk about dok during the pcm they have to read it off the sheet.
We're learning a lot aren't we?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Safety committee members go to bargaining unit members prior to start time and try to pressure them to start early and recite dok from memory but when it's time for the safety committee members to talk about dok during the pcm they have to read it off the sheet.

They do that to make sure that they are presenting the correct material, not just their version.

NXA

Is the result of the DOK test recorded in a way that associates the employee with the test result? If so, thats a management function.

Integrity

Binge Poster

Based upon your statements it may be that you have some serious integrity issues within your local leadership.

10 Pt

They do that to make sure that they are presenting the correct material, not just their version.
The safety committee members demand their hourly coworkers to recite the dok verbatim.
But they don't hold themselves accountable for the same standard. That's the point.

LeadBelly

Banned
I've uses the CHSP to get many Fans places throughout UPS. Some through the grievance procedure and some through using the process. We've gotten gloves to prevent cuts on hands and many countless battles. It's a process and you have to work within the contract.

Integrity

Binge Poster
I've uses the CHSP to get many Fans places throughout UPS. Some through the grievance procedure and some through using the process. We've gotten gloves to prevent cuts on hands and many countless battles. It's a process and you have to work within the contract.
What kind of gloves?

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Safety committee members go to bargaining unit members prior to start time and try to pressure them to start early and recite dok from memory

The safety committee members demand their hourly coworkers to recite the dok verbatim.

Not even the company.... can require a qualified, seniority employee, to recite

the DOK verbatim. (let alone a safety committee member)

As I have posted, on numerous occasions, this issue was settled at the National level

all the way back in 2007. The company agreed it is not contractual requirement

for continued employment.

@LeadBelly2.0's local even has a signed off grievance.... stating just that.

(stewards in my Local carry a copy on their phones)

There is one caveat;

If it is a requirement for qualification.... (i.e. gaining seniority) so be it.

Even though this issue has been covered many times, not everyone still knows it.

-Bug-

10 Pt

As I have posted, on numerous occasions, this issue was settled at the National level

There is one caveat;

Even though this issue has been covered many times, not everyone still knows it.

-Bug-
We have never had anyone disciplined for not knowing any of this information whether verbatim or even partially. There's no training for any of the stewards in our local since the nineties so we're not walking around with any information unless it was settled while you are a steward.

But since you brought it up many people have asked about the prerequisites to go to integrad. The company demands that the candidates that are going to integrad to try to qualify for a full-time driving job pass the dok questions and all the other safety information that they are allegedly supposed to memorize or have memorized. Management has said that these bargaining unit workers that had to pass the test to go to integrad are now liable for that information as long as they are employed there. What's the rebuttal on that one?

LeadBelly

Banned

There is one caveat;

-Bug-
All true, it is not a condition of employment nor a requirement. I believe in the Smith system, and it is something we can all learn from, but a verbatim account of it is not required. In weaker locals the company does try to push this, but you need to stand your ground.

LeadBelly

Banned
We have never had anyone disciplined for not knowing any of this information whether verbatim or even partially. There's no training for any of the stewards in our local since the nineties so we're not walking around with any information unless it was settled while you are a steward.

But since you brought it up many people have asked about the prerequisites to go to integrad. The company demands that the candidates that are going to integrad to try to qualify for a full-time driving job pass the dok questions and all the other safety information that they are allegedly supposed to memorize or have memorized. Management has said that these bargaining unit workers that had to pass the test to go to integrad are now liable for that information as long as they are employed there. What's the rebuttal on that one?
I'm hoping that a lot of members give good contract proposals relating to Intergrad so there is some language regarding this in the next UPSNM agreement.

10 Pt

They spout off meaningless nonsense, all the time.

Are you a Teamster.... ??

Or, a mouse ??

-Bug-
Oh yeah, I'm a mouse. We don't have any "signed off anything" because they've never pushed the issue. What's been said I posted and asked for your rebuttal on that particular statement but all I got was some cheerleader and/or comparison to a rodent response from you.
Here is the question again:
Applicants have to pass the safety and dok portion of the computer application to be admitted into Integrad to try to qualify for a ft driving position. If you don't pass it you don't go.
If that is a qualification for that position (as YOU somewhat noted or alluded to exceptions in your #35 post above) then what is your rebuttal to that statement?
Can you simply answer that question without all the extra narratives? We don't all work in Leadbelly's local. Thank you.