Union certified Safety committee

ezmoney5150

We have never had anyone disciplined for not knowing any of this information whether verbatim or even partially. There's no training for any of the stewards in our local since the nineties so we're not walking around with any information unless it was settled while you are a steward.

But since you brought it up many people have asked about the prerequisites to go to integrad. The company demands that the candidates that are going to integrad to try to qualify for a full-time driving job pass the dok questions and all the other safety information that they are allegedly supposed to memorize or have memorized. Management has said that these bargaining unit workers that had to pass the test to go to integrad are now liable for that information as long as they are employed there. What's the rebuttal on that one?

Management says alot of stupid lies because some sheep believe them. DOK is a settled issue. It is not a requirement for employment.

tourists24

Safety committee members go to bargaining unit members prior to start time and try to pressure them to start early and recite dok from memory but when it's time for the safety committee members to talk about dok during the pcm they have to read it off the sheet.
We're learning a lot aren't we?
I don't answer any safety questions asked by another teamster..... period. If management wants to know, they can ask me themselves

ezmoney5150

Oh yeah, I'm a mouse. We don't have any "signed off anything" because they've never pushed the issue. What's been said I posted and asked for your rebuttal on that particular statement but all I got was some cheerleader and/or comparison to a rodent response from you.
Here is the question again:
Applicants have to pass the safety and dok portion of the computer application to be admitted into Integrad to try to qualify for a ft driving position. If you don't pass it you don't go.
If that is a qualification for that position (as YOU somewhat noted or alluded to exceptions in your #35 post above) then what is your rebuttal to that statement?
Can you simply answer that question without all the extra narratives? We don't all work in Leadbelly's local. Thank you.

It's pretty simple. If you're a part timer going into a full time package car position and the disqualify you for not knowing DOK. Then in my opinion you should grieve it.

NXA

Not even the company.... can require a qualified, seniority employee, to recite

the DOK verbatim. (let alone a safety committee member)

As I have posted, on numerous occasions, this issue was settled at the National level

all the way back in 2007. The company agreed it is not contractual requirement

for continued employment.

@LeadBelly2.0's local even has a signed off grievance.... stating just that.

(stewards in my Local carry a copy on their phones)

There is one caveat;

If it is a requirement for qualification.... (i.e. gaining seniority) so be it.

Even though this issue has been covered many times, not everyone still knows it.

-Bug-
Help me with some documentation please ?

10 Pt

It's pretty simple. If you're a part timer going into a full time package car position and the disqualify you for not knowing DOK. Then in my opinion you should grieve it.
If the pt timer is sitting at home in front of his computer he merely uses the cheat sheet method to fill in the blanks on the electronic application. He doesn't learn them. He copies them. So none of them get disqualified.
The issue is what happens after that when they qualify. Bug alluded to possible exceptions and I asked about that (for the third time now) possibility.

10 Pt

Is the result of the DOK test recorded in a way that associates the employee with the test result? If so, thats a management function.
It's a management function period. Why should I have to answer management derived questions to any hourly?

10 Pt

I'm hoping that a lot of members give good contract proposals relating to Intergrad so there is some language regarding this in the next UPSNM agreement.
It would be helpful to be able to log in to a site where affected members could submit their proposal ideas under multiple issue titled catagories and (like the eri) a section to interject thoughts on any other changes they would like to see made.

NXA

Let me fore warn you about Pay Pal options. It's coming.

Slowly.

But it's coming.
??
It's a management function period. Why should I have to answer management derived questions to any hourly?
That's fair to say. But to make a change in my building's modus operandi, it might help me and others to have the documents that BUG is alluding to.

LeadBelly

Banned
It would be helpful to be able to log in to a site where affected members could submit their proposal ideas under multiple issue titled catagories and (like the eri) a section to interject thoughts on any other changes they would like to see made.
I agree, but this site isn't in the equation for this. your local has contract proposal meetings when the contract is about to begin being negotiated.

What you are proposing would be a an outside the box idea that I'm not sure the IBT could have the foresight for, even if they knew it was needed.

10 Pt

I agree, but this site isn't in the equation for this. your local has contract proposal meetings when the contract is about to begin being negotiated.

What you are proposing would be a an outside the box idea that I'm not sure the IBT could have the foresight for, even if they knew it was needed.
Hopefully, we get communication flowing earlier this time around. A lot earlier.

ezmoney5150

Hopefully, we get communication flowing earlier this time around. A lot earlier.

Well there is a date on the contract book that gives you a good idea when they're going to start negotiating. Our locals sends a letter to the UPS facilities and has a proposal meeting. Not sure how much more communication you need. I could call every UPS member and remind them and the number of people who show up will be the same.

People love to complain but never take part in the process.

10 Pt

Well there is a date on the contract book that gives you a good idea when they're going to start negotiating. Our locals sends a letter to the UPS facilities and has a proposal meeting. Not sure how much more communication you need. I could call every UPS member and remind them and the number of people who show up will be the same.

People love to complain but never take part in the process.
I think you missed the point. Having negativity as a strong suit is not necessarily productive.

ezmoney5150

I think you missed the point. Having negativity as a strong suit is not necessarily productive.

No negativity. I just could never understand why something so important to your career like your contract and the business of your local, you pay dues to, isn't important.

Everyone wants the Union to "lure", like a fish, the members to be more involved. How about taking initiative in something that's important in their life.
If the pt timer is sitting at home in front of his computer he merely uses the cheat sheet method to fill in the blanks on the electronic application. He doesn't learn them. He copies them. So none of them get disqualified.
The issue is what happens after that when they qualify. Bug alluded to possible exceptions and I asked about that (for the third time now) possibility.

I can't speak for BUG, but in my opinion the only exception is if a supervisor comes to you and says recite the 10 point commentary and you say no. I will not. You then failed to follow instructions. I tell them what I know and they say you should know these, and I say I do. I use them every day while on the road and I move on.

Inthegame

I can't speak for BUG, but in my opinion the only exception is if a supervisor comes to you and says recite the 10 point commentary and you say no. I will not. You then failed to follow instructions. I tell them what I know and they say you should know these, and I say I do. I use them every day while on the road and I move on.
Had a guy with 35 years of safe driving and no injuries in his career, but he couldn't recite one line so the sup threatened to fire him. As his steward I begged the sup to follow through as I explained I'd make the sup look like an absolute idiot at a panel for firing a guy that practices what they preach every day. Some guys just aren't good at memorization.

10 Pt

No negativity. I just could never understand why something so important to your career like your contract and the business of your local, you pay dues to, isn't important.

Everyone wants the Union to "lure", like a fish, the members to be more involved. How about taking initiative in something that's important in their life.

I have been to every proposal meeting since 2001. I wasn't even talking about that.
I was talking about the company and the IBT getting things hammered out earlier and better than the last time and with better and more detailed communication to members.
I don't know where you derived your posted overview of what I was saying.
Had a guy with 35 years of safe driving and no injuries in his career, but he couldn't recite one line so the sup threatened to fire him. As his steward I begged the sup to follow through as I explained I'd make the sup look like an absolute idiot at a panel for firing a guy that practices what they preach every day. Some guys just aren't good at memorization.
I got that.
The question I had (for the fourth time now) was about prerequisites for going to Integrad and the view the company takes on those hourly that have to memorize (seemingly, but knowingly cheated often to assimilate memorization) the endless safety lexicon to start qualification of the full time job they're vying for.
Never mind about it. I can't waste anymore time on this. My finger is getting hoarse.