union dues case at scotus

OptimusPrime

If the union had a right to not cover those employees I might agree with you. That's not the way RTW works though.

This is my main beef with RTW. Those who opt out want to have their cake and eat it to. Though that speaks more to what RTW is all about. It's not about preserving individuals rights to work, it's about trying to cut off unions at the knees.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I agree. The laws are poorly written.

However public and private unions are totally different. Private bankrupts a company and puts themselves out of a job.

Public bankrupts the state and its people and most are likely still considers necessary jobs.
I guess, but there's very few public union jobs that couldn't be privatized. Tax dollars for students are following the kids to private and charter schools so people saying they don't have competition isn't really accurate at all. The government and voters choose to keep public unions. Don't want public unions, push your politicians to privatize. I don't think you'll like the results but that's just my opinion.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Anybody who works for a living should have the right to unionize regardless of who their employer is. If the government doesn't want to negotiate with a union then they should get out of the employment business.
Let me see ... who makes the laws and enforces them?
I think it is the government.
Catch-22

BTW - I agree with you

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I agree. The laws are poorly written.

However public and private unions are totally different. Private bankrupts a company and puts themselves out of a job.

Public bankrupts the state and its people and most are likely still considers necessary jobs.
Private sector unions don't bankrupt companies any more than public sector unions bankrupt states. If a company/statehouse goes bankrupt it's due to irresponsible management/elected officials making poor decisions. Blaming the unions for the failures of management is an old excuse.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Private sector unions don't bankrupt companies any more than public sector unions bankrupt states. If a company/statehouse goes bankrupt it's due to irresponsible management/elected officials making poor decisions. Blaming the unions for the failures of management is an old excuse.

It's the oldest excuse in the book.

That's the first thing, companies will tell prospective Union members.

"If we go Union, it will put us out of business."

Mis-management does.

Or, intentional sabotage.... to make their company fail and cash out.

-Bug-

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
To a point but unions can hinder the ability to manage.

Take the auto companies. They could of laid off tons of people to try and save. Money but they had to pay them like 75% of full pay to sit at home.

So they do play a part sometimes.

Brownsocks

Just a dog
This is my main beef with RTW. Those who opt out want to have their cake and eat it to. Though that speaks more to what RTW is all about. It's not about preserving individuals rights to work, it's about trying to cut off unions at the knees.
The plaintiff's first amendment rights trump union dues and we already know he will win.
This case was tied 4- 4 after Justice Scalia's death and now with Gorsuch on the bench there isnt a chance in hell of the union winning.

I do take issue with my union being so damn liberal and there are alot of brothers who feel the same way as me.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
people don' like their dues going to things they dont support

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
To a point but unions can hinder the ability to manage.

Take the auto companies. They could of laid off tons of people to try and save. Money but they had to pay them like 75% of full pay to sit at home.

So they do play a part sometimes.
I agree which is why I am a firm believer that unions should be very circumspect about getting involved in business decisions. But keep in mind that the auto companies agreed to those conditions in contract negotiations, the union didn't just impose them. I'd be interested to know what led the unions to propose something like that in the first place and why the companies agreed to it.