Union Dues Tax Deductible?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You can claim Union Dues, the cost of any equipment that you have to buy (boots, gloves, etc.) and you can also deduct the cost of cleaning your uniforms, for which I use the figure of $10/week. I deduct nearly $1,800 each year for work related expenses. This will help you only if you itemized deductions which are more than your standard deduction.

You should also remember to subtract your 401k contributions, if applicable, from your gross pay to lower your taxable income. United Way contributions would be entered under charitable contributions.

May I suggest that you try Turbo Tax? You may be surprised at how effective a program it is and may end up doing your taxes yourself.

brett636

You can claim union dues, washing of uniforms, and UPS socks on your Schedule A, but remember that it is subject to a 2% threshold that must be passed in order for it count. The means that the total of your union dues and uniforms all must exceed 2% of your gross income before they will count towards your total itemized deductions. I've completed a little over 400 individual tax returns and rarely will those deductions exceed the threshold.

Channahon

May I suggest that you try Turbo Tax? You may be surprised at how effective a program it is and may end up doing your taxes yourself.

Turbo Tax is wonderful and saves you the money to pay an accountant to do your taxes. My husband has been using the program for years.

And you can get a 30% discount on UPSer's.com

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

brett636, you are right about the 2% threshold and TurboTax takes care of that for you. It will also compare your deductions to the standard deduction and lets you know which one is better for your tax situation. I purchase the program at Staples but do not e-file through the program but instead e-file at StateFarm.com, which offers this service free to its insurance customers.

ups79

brett636, you are right about the 2% threshold and TurboTax takes care of that for you. It will also compare your deductions to the standard deduction and lets you know which one is better for your tax situation. I purchase the program at Staples but do not e-file through the program but instead e-file at StateFarm.com, which offers this service free to its insurance customers.

Does this then mean that State Farm is able to access your account and determine your gross salary?

Cementups

Box Monkey
I claim:
union dues
shoes
socks
gloves
white t-shirts for work only (not so white after a few days at brown)

I am going to mention the $10/week wash fee with my tax guy to see if I can fit that in.

satellitedriver

Turbo Tax always sends me a rebate coupon for the e-file fee.
I thought that was standard.
PAX

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I use Turbotax Deluxe and I deduct Union dues, socks, shoes, and United Way. It used to be that "Professional Fees" were listed as a deduction, but union dues were added a couple of years ago in using Turbotax. I download all my investment data from my Edward Jones accounts. I also deduct all non-profit contributions, including travel expenses.

I normally do my taxes on Superbowl Sunday, I sometimes come up with some creative deductions after drinking my favorite adult beverages.:wink2:

Big Babooba

I use Turbotax Deluxe and I deduct Union dues, socks, shoes, and United Way. It used to be that "Professional Fees" were listed as a deduction, but union dues were added a couple of years ago in using Turbotax. I download all my investment data from my Edward Jones accounts. I also deduct all non-profit contributions, including travel expenses.

I normally do my taxes on Superbowl Sunday, I sometimes come up with some creative deductions after drinking my favorite adult beverages.:wink2:
If you use that "favorite adult beverage" to aid you with completing your tax return, is it also tax deductible?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
If you use that "favorite adult beverage" to aid you with completing your tax return, is it also tax deductible?

It should be, but I don't use that one. The politicians that overtax us over indulge in that too. I forgot to add I deduct the cost of Turbotax too. I used to use a CPA back when I was in a family partnership running a farm business on the side. Since we sold the farm, it much easier now to just punch numbers into Turbotax myself. I used to use Taxcut, but now prefer Turbotax and I E-File.

brett636

Yea I figured that much. I was just explaining that most likely it doesn't make much difference. I work for H&R Block during the tax season and I file my taxes using their software at the office for free. :)

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

H&R Block provides quality service but I don't like the way they push the RAL loans and, this year, the prepaid debit cards. Our WalMart has a H&R office in it and I would be curious to see how many of the cards end up being used in that store. Just curious, how can you lower your debt or use your refund to pay bills with a debit card? Obviously you can't, but you sure can buy that new big-screen TV with one. To be fair, they do offer the option of receiving your refund either by check, direct deposit or, get it now, spend it now, prepaid debit card.

Brett, I have always been able to use the bulk of my job expenses deduction as I itemize and, with 2 kids in college, it has never been a problem to have enough deductions.

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

UPS79, State Farm offers Turbo Tax online free to its insured and that is where their interest ends. To answer your question, no, they cannot access my account and determine my gross salary. I can't imagine why they would have any interest in doing that.

grami72

You are seriously asking a message board for tax advice to see if your accoountant is right? Sounds like its time for a new accountant.