Union has decided to change contract "interpretation"

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
One thing to remember is that back in 97 when the current package rider language was created (for the most part) UPS did not have the technology that it has today, and splits either went 1 or 2 cars to the left or right.

This was a limitation on the companys ability to move work around. However, when EDD and PAS was introduced, this changed all the dynamics of the loading process and further changed the way routes are created and disolved.

The company is able to move work to different pens and is no longer limited to left or right. Our package riders are now obsolete and need to be updated to protect all drivers.

An example of a fix could be: there are 5 routes in a delivery loop. The company wants to eliminate a route. By Loop seniority, the displaced driver "bumps" the lowest seniority driver in that loop. If the driver who was displaced was the lowest seniority driver, than that driver simply goes to the utility list and falls in line with other utility drivers by seniority.

If this happens everyday, its an easy fix. The company knows that the displaced driver will take out the lowest seniority drivers route that day in the loop and they pick up an additional utility driver and must dispatch that driver for the day. No displaced drivers shall be layed off or sent to part time.

Keeping a senior driver in a delivery loop will insure a higher productivity and avoid sending a senior driver to an area he/she does not know.

Seniority must be observed at all times. At best, the lowest senior utility driver will be sent to preload.

The "bump" goes all the way down the line. This may be inconvenient for UPS, but it protects our drivers.

Peace.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
One thing to remember is that back in 97 when the current package rider language was created (for the most part) UPS did not have the technology that it has today, and splits either went 1 or 2 cars to the left or right.

This was a limitation on the companys ability to move work around. However, when EDD and PAS was introduced, this changed all the dynamics of the loading process and further changed the way routes are created and disolved.

The company is able to move work to different pens and is no longer limited to left or right. Our package riders are now obsolete and need to be updated to protect all drivers.

An example of a fix could be: there are 5 routes in a delivery loop. The company wants to eliminate a route. By Loop seniority, the displaced driver "bumps" the lowest seniority driver in that loop. If the driver who was displaced was the lowest seniority driver, than that driver simply goes to the utility list and falls in line with other utility drivers by seniority.

If this happens everyday, its an easy fix. The company knows that the displaced driver will take out the lowest seniority drivers route that day in the loop and they pick up an additional utility driver and must dispatch that driver for the day. No displaced drivers shall be layed off or sent to part time.

Keeping a senior driver in a delivery loop will insure a higher productivity and avoid sending a senior driver to an area he/she does not know.

Seniority must be observed at all times. At best, the lowest senior utility driver will be sent to preload.

The "bump" goes all the way down the line. This may be inconvenient for UPS, but it protects our drivers.

Peace.

The other issue that needs to be resolved is a definition of what constitutes a "loop" in the first place.

As it stands now, a "loop" is whatever the company says that it is. With the new PAS/EDD technology, the "loops" are ever-changing and the company can strategically "eliminate" any route it wishes to on a daily basis in order to evade its obligations under the 9.5 language or to "motivate" older, higher-seniority drivers to retire by leaving them with no option but to do whatever heavy industrial routes are still available.

QKRSTKR

Here is the way we do if per the contract.

We use the same language in the contract that talks about permanent changes. This came up at a local hearing when this started happening a few years ago. Labor manager and BA agreed we follow the same language on a temporary basis.

So it would go at least here,

My rte out, I bump to junior driver with bid rte.
That junior driver bumps junior driver.
That junior driver bumps junior driver.
That last junior driver is then assigned. Doesn't keep going on and on and on and on.

Most of the time it only goes to the first time. Usually bumped driver has something else they know or can do. No doubt though the last guy who gets bumped gets screw job. My rte isn't very desirable, so doesn't usually affect me. If and when it does, I already know who I'm bumping.

I do agree with Red and Other side. Definitly need new language. I also believe all bid rtes should be in before some garbage make up rte that has like 5 stops off every car in the center. Why would you pull a solid bid rte and put in no bid baseline? Try to tell the company that and of course the reply is "we can put in what ever rte we want." The actual key is drivers need to either follow their work or bump. We have some run and gunners that kill us too.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
The other issue that needs to be resolved is a definition of what constitutes a "loop" in the first place.

As it stands now, a "loop" is whatever the company says that it is. With the new PAS/EDD technology, the "loops" are ever-changing and the company can strategically "eliminate" any route it wishes to on a daily basis in order to evade its obligations under the 9.5 language or to "motivate" older, higher-seniority drivers to retire by leaving them with no option but to do whatever heavy industrial routes are still available.

Sober,

UPS has established a "loop" designation with EDD and PAS... A , B, C, D, E are the loop assignments. B is suppose to be the baseline car, but even UPS doesnt follow its own design. Pocket dispatching is the rule and not the exception.

We should only care about seniority and re-placement of displaced route drivers. What the company does with its routes is there business. The company has used this new system to "harm" route drivers they dont like.

Its a new tool of harrassment in some cases. We need to prevent or hinder the use of breaking up cars and eliminate this harassment.

Peace.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Our center used to have one training route--there is now one training route per loop. When we bid this past February the training routes were clearly identified with an explanation at the bottom of the bid sheet of their purpose. These are the routes that are usually the first to be cut.

I can't recall the last time a training route was used to actually train a new driver.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Our center used to have one training route--there is now one training route per loop. When we bid this past February the training routes were clearly identified with an explanation at the bottom of the bid sheet of their purpose. These are the routes that are usually the first to be cut.

I can't recall the last time a training route was used to actually train a new driver.

When was the last time you actually had a new driver? According to what has been posted on here, UPS is reducing the number of drivers dispatched everywhere.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!

I don't know your supplement, but it should lay out how many training routes you should have based on the number of drivers employed. If they are exceding this, it should be grieved.

govols019

You smell that?
I hear off the street hires are not nearly as qualifed as those who pay their dues by starting on the inside.

And they're not. That's not a slam against off the street hires it's just the truth.

My first day running a route I was given the keys and a map and told good luck. What about you?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
And they're not. That's not a slam against off the street hires it's just the truth.

My first day running a route I was given the keys and a map and told good luck. What about you?

Although I "paid my dues on the inside" for 6 years before going driving, I don't agree with your belief.
My observations is that the people hired off the street are generally superior intellectually and in business acumen.
Of course, we may be judging them based on different expectations and goals.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Although I "paid my dues on the inside" for 6 years before going driving, I don't agree with your belief.
My observations is that the people hired off the street are generally superior intellectually and in business acumen.

Oh come on...

Although I "paid my dues on the inside" for 6 years before going driving, I don't agree with your belief.My observations is that the people hired off the street are generally superior intellectually and in business acumen.Of course, we may be judging them based on different expectations and goals.
Yes they probably are better yes men who can be easily manipulated at the beginning. I've seen this first hand but as in life every situation is different and eventually some figure it out.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Yes they probably are better yes men who can be easily manipulated at the beginning. I've seen this first hand but as in life every situation is different and eventually some figure it out.

There are many different jobs that a person can do other than humping packages and many would consider many of them to be more fulfilling.

While I have immense respect for people who can be a driver for 25 - 30 years, it's not something I was ever interested in doing long term. Although I still look back on driving as the best job I ever had at UPS.

I think some people get "backed into a corner" and try to make their job be very important ... they are all just jobs in the end.

I'm not much of a misty eyed romantic myself so I don't view my job or any one's job as being more important than another. Just jobs where we are paid for our time and effort.

Again ... JMO.

tourists24

What you call superior intellect others may say they would be naive

tourists24

People will call others most anything if it makes them feel better about themselves. I've done it many times although not as much in the last 10 years. I think I'm down to once a day now.
lol... the less thought put into it the better the older we get