Union meeting attendance.

Nimnim

The Nim
Over the years I've been here I've heard many people talk about the attendance of union meetings. Most union meetings seem to happen on a Saturday morning, and for the drivers and preloaders the only issue there is how far away the union hall is.

I've gotta ask though, for those that say people should attend meetings, not just the contract meetings which I agree are more important, but the general monthly meetings. How likely would you be to attend a meeting that was at midnight Saturday? Cause that's pretty much how most union meetings are scheduled when you take into account the hours someone who works a midnight shift, pt 22.3 or feeder, would have to deal with.

I'm not saying the meetings aren't important, but I'm just a bit tired of the blanket animosity over people who don't attend meetings without the consideration that they work a schedule that is completely discordant with their sleep schedule because of their shift.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We have feeder drivers just coming off their night shifts attend Saturday morning meetings. I guess it is where your priorities lie. I do not attend the monthly meetings but do go to those pertaining to our contract and pension.

bluehdmc

Where I am the local's meetings are on Sundays. We have a lot of jobs that start on Sundays, along with a Sunday day sort a Saturday meeting would probably get a little more attendance.

smart girl

This issue was part of the new EBoard we have now. They opened the hall on Thursday nights and have
been available every shift before and after if needed by stewards at the Hubs. It has worked in showing
pa united front to management when we get wind of abusive behavior which has escalated in recent years.
like we say to members if you don't grieve or let us know we don't know the problem.

Over the years I've been here I've heard many people talk about the attendance of union meetings. Most union meetings seem to happen on a Saturday morning, and for the drivers and preloaders the only issue there is how far away the union hall is.

I've gotta ask though, for those that say people should attend meetings, not just the contract meetings which I agree are more important, but the general monthly meetings. How likely would you be to attend a meeting that was at midnight Saturday? Cause that's pretty much how most union meetings are scheduled when you take into account the hours someone who works a midnight shift, pt 22.3 or feeder, would have to deal with.

I'm not saying the meetings aren't important, but I'm just a bit tired of the blanket animosity over people who don't attend meetings without the consideration that they work a schedule that is completely discordant with their sleep schedule because of their shift.

If a hottie said "hey, lets have awesome sex" at that time would you participate? Or would you stick to the "can't, it's my midnite" train of thought?

A

anonymous6

our monthly meetings are on a Thursday night when I am at work. so how can I attend? maybe locals should post the minutes online and allow members to post comments?