Union or Management?

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
It's funny how assumptious people can be based on questions that just come out of curiosity (like mine for example). It was a question asking about the pros and cons and then questions about why.

Assumptious isn't a word. It was placed in some dictionaries due to misuse, much like "literally" being used as a synonym for serious when in fact it is not.

Additionally questions would not come out of something, but rather would arise from something. Questions don't ask about the pros and cons--people ask questions.

Do you know what I want or what I need?
Yes, thank you for asking. You need to use the forum's search feature. I'm being snippy to you because you're too lazy to use this feature to find one of the dozens of threads that have been posted on this very same question. You wouldn't even need to search. You could simply page down a few pages.

uwotm8

Assumptious isn't a word. It was placed in some dictionaries due to misuse, much like "literally" being used as a synonym for serious when in fact it is not.

Additionally questions would not come out of something, but rather would arise from something. Questions don't ask about the pros and cons--people ask questions.

Yes, thank you for asking. You need to use the forum's search feature. I'm being snippy to you because you're too lazy to use this feature to find one of the dozens of threads that have been posted on this very same question. You wouldn't even need to search. You could simply page down a few pages.

You're one of those guys...figures. I got you a bit too excited there, didn't I? :innocent:

Anyway, I actually did several searches with answers that are aren't in detail compared to what I have here in this thread. Guess what I've read from those results before I decided to create this thread? Things along the lines of don't join management and hardcore biased bashing on management. It happened in this thread too with the bashing, but I got my answer. The only reason why I asked was so I can get more in-depth about it because I know there are gonna be opportunities where they might ask me to do management (and I'm not gonna make impulsive decisions like that). I wanna go the career route and the more I know, the better. Hopefully, all of the info given helps anyone else too. Fair game.

A couple of the guys here helped me out and I am thankful for that. Thanks again.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
You're one of those guys...figures. I got you a bit too excited there, didn't I? :innocent:
h7FCEF408

Legitimyze

Management- you lose your job, your not getting it back and you pay for your benefits and no pension. Union- you lose your job, your getting it back unless you steal, fight, or kill somebody, healthcare 2.5 times your hourly rate, and pension, enough said and easy decision unless your brain dead lol.

What does that part mean exactly? Does management not get any healthcare options? What do you mean 2.5 times your hourly rate, are you comparing management pay to a drivers pay? becuase there is no way that package handlers get that much more than management.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
What does that part mean exactly? Does management not get any healthcare options? What do you mean 2.5 times your hourly rate, are you comparing management pay to a drivers pay? becuase there is no way that package handlers get that much more than management.
Management pays for their health benefits, we pay 2.5 times our hourly rate for our union dues which our health care is included in our union dues. Simple English management pays a lot more for their insurance than drivers do.

kingOFchester

Depends on the person, their circumstances, their goals in life and other factors.

For me, driving is the best option at this point in my life. If I was 22, had a degree, knew my abilities could get me far in life, had ambition and no family to support, I would consider management.....only after going FT driving. It is possible to work your way up the ladder and the resume bolstering experience would help in securing management jobs at many other corporations. The down fall is, once you leave management at UPS, a lot of managerial workers bounce from corp to corp. Another reason I would not do it. Compounded by my age, my family and lack of desire to start working my way up a ladder at this point in my life and it doesn't make sense for ME.

Management- you lose your job, your not getting it back and you pay for your benefits and no pension. Union- you lose your job, your getting it back unless you steal, fight, or kill somebody, healthcare 2.5 times your hourly rate, and pension, enough said and easy decision unless your brain dead lol.
No pension? So I no longer get my $565 mgmt pension at age 55?

Legitimyze

Management pays for their health benefits, we pay 2.5 times our hourly rate for our union dues which our health care is included in our union dues. Simple English management pays a lot more for their insurance than drivers do.

So if I am making $11 per hour as a package handler, I would be paying $27.50 per month for union dues?

nystripe96

It's pretty simple. Union = Physical exhaustion, lots of advancement opportunity. Sleep like a baby at night making nearly$100k/year. Lot of sick, optional and vacation days...................... Supe = Mental exhaustion, constant stress and fear for your job. Crappy insurance you have to pay for & making less money. Nuff said

Sent using BrownCafe App