Union questions

PT Car Washer

....are you telling us that the Panel agreed with this notion when air drivers grieved being left out in regards to the extra work of a classification other than yours???

Now I am confused....
I believe the grievance was over who had preference for extra work in the PT classification. The panel agreed that extra work would be awarded by seniority. Spin it any way you choose.

Karma...

great start....if you do your job you won't be harressed......supers concentrate on working with the people who were good at one time and soured along the way due to their own lack of self respect and the failure of management to hold them accountable.......its the prize for showing up, everyone gets a prize, and democratic entitlement era.....not the old days at all......many improvements to make...

What'dyabringmetoday???

PT air drivers should only be used to deliver ground, to avoid supes working. It shouldn't be done on a regular basis.

You are definitely taking advantage of the situation. I just can't believe the company puts up with it.

Art 40 will never change.... ever.

I know it might seem like a personal attack, but that's not my intent.

-Bug-
I don't know if you are joking or not. Please don't pretend that UPS is held accountable by the "elected leaders". They love having part-timers on the road. And since the union does nothing to educate new hires, the part-timers are more than willing to put on the uniform.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I believe the grievance was over who had preference for extra work in the PT classification. The panel agreed that extra work would be awarded by seniority. Spin it any way you choose.
I wasn't "spinning" anything, you were....
EAM air drivers delivering 10:30 and or 12:00 air commit after delivering their EAM's. Or when needed helping out with ground stops. Most of the time oversize packages that will not fit on the regular delivery driver or running misloads or helping out with 8 hour request or over dispatched 9.5 drivers. Of course since about March it has been Peak season all year long with plenty of work for everyone. I would also cover for 22.3 preload/air drivers when on vacation. Been doing this for the last 15 years or longer and the EAM guys wanted a piece of the action. Why bust your butt and a 4 year progression when you can make more money working PT?

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
Ah i get it, most of you guys on here are just a bunch of A-Holes sitting on the toilet on company time, when, (I’m guessing most of you are drivers) you should be out delivering them packages, and then go home to your Nagging wife that clearly wants a divorce in about 8 months if they already haven’t divorced you yet due to your pissy attitudes. No common courtesy for the people that are new to UPS. Thanks to the ones that helped. I’m fresh out of high school and found UPS to be a okay start to a career, considering at 14,15,16 and 17 i was working in a coal mine for my grandfather in Thomas, WV. so far, I like UPS and they do treat me fair there.
Personal attack
Post reported

Talking about nagging wives and divorces coming from the person who wants a career here.
Better not get married and get depressed when you get divorced sissy

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

And a part-time PM carwash employee can be brought in, when AM air drivers are present, qualified, and available ?

I find that hard to believe.

I am just a poor PTer trying to feed my family by double shifting when the FTers don't want to work.

:biggrin:

We know better than that....

Your house is paid for and your 401k is stacked ?

PT Car Washer

And a part-time PM carwash employee can be brought in, when AM air drivers are present, qualified, and available ?

I find that hard to believe.

We know better than that....

Your house is paid for and your 401k is stacked ?
That was exactly the EAM drivers argument. State panel said no, extra work is awarded by seniority. The PDS knows early enough if there are going to be extra air routes besides the bid 22.3 air routes. Usually texts me an hour and a half early if there is going to be extra work. It's not like a Feeder driver pulls in at 9:30 with an air package that has to be delivered right away. Do you not agree with the State panels decision? You would not be alone. House has been paid off for 25 years and I drive a 17 year old Ford Ranger. 401k and IRA are both in good shape. I just enjoy the work.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Do you not agree with the State panels decision? You would not be alone.

Um....not disagree, just surprised.

But then again, I don't know the facts of the case.

House has been paid off for 25 years and I drive a 17 year old Ford Ranger. 401k and IRA are both in good shape.

The Bug is good.... the Bug is wise.... and I don't forget.

I just enjoy the work.

Now, I have some real concerns.

PT Car Washer

The biggest problem is just getting all of the FT drivers to come to work everyday. On those rare occasions when there are extra drivers, they will run extra air routes and than LIB's or misloads or help with over dispatched routes instead of PT air drivers. I do know that some of the PT air drivers are trying to turn a PT job into a FT income.

542thruNthru

tenor-98.gif

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
The biggest problem is just getting all of the FT drivers to come to work everyday. On those rare occasions when there are extra drivers, they will run extra air routes and than LIB's or misloads or help with over dispatched routes instead of PT air drivers. I do know that some of the PT air drivers are trying to turn a PT job into a FT income.
I would have loved to have worked in your building as a package car driver....so much free grievance money to have been had.

PT Car Washer

I would have loved to have worked in your building as a package car driver....so much free grievance money to have been had.
Not sure how you get free money as long as a Union member is performing bargaining unit work. We can't even win sup working grievances. Sups are training is the common excuse.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Not sure how you get free money as long as a Union member is performing bargaining unit work. We can't even win sup working grievances. Sups are training is the common excuse.
It's not your work, nor is it "extra".

If the practice of using part timers to deliver packages that are other than "air exception packages" were truly legit contractually, the Company would utilize part time drivers in a myriad of other scenarios.

This is absolutely Pandora's Box and needs to stay closed for the future of all full time driving positions.

The key to winning these grievances, as with supervisors working, is to document through multiple grievances that it is not an anomaly, rather a common occurrence.

In 2019 I was paid just shy of $21,000 in grievance settlements on this air driver issue and I can't begin to venture to put a lifetime figure on it.

I was never successful in stopping it in it's entirety, but always managed to beat it back when the Company was understaffed or redeveloping bad habits.

PT Car Washer

It's not your work, nor is it "extra".

If the practice of using part timers to deliver packages that are other than "air exception packages" were truly legit contractually, the Company would utilize part time drivers in a myriad of other scenarios.

This is absolutely Pandora's Box and needs to stay closed for the future of all full time driving positions.

The key to winning these grievances, as with supervisors working, is to document through multiple grievances that it is not an anomaly, rather a common occurrence.

In 2019 I was paid just shy of $21,000 in grievance settlements on this air driver issue and I can't begin to venture to put a lifetime figure on it.

I was never successful in stopping it in it's entirety, but always managed to beat it back when the Company was understaffed or redeveloping bad habits.
I understand Locals are given some leeway in how they handle labor situations. My Local has decided to allow Union members the opportunity to work rather than have management do bargaining unit work. Years ago no PT would be allowed to deliver, only sups. As far as protecting future FT driving positions, go ask a 22.4 if the Union is protecting his job. I am sure our local management would rather use FT drivers instead of a PT air driver delivering 5 stops an hour but until they can get FT drivers to show up for work everyday, their hands are tied.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
As far as protecting future FT driving positions, go ask a 22.4 if the Union is protecting his job.

I'm not sure what you mean by this.

I am sure our local management would rather use FT drivers instead of a PT air driver delivering 5 stops an hour but until they can get FT drivers to show up for work everyday, their hands are tied.

Does the company not utilize the progressive discipline procedure for chronic attendance issues ?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
My Local has decided to allow Union members the opportunity to work rather than have management do bargaining unit work. Years ago no PT would be allowed to deliver, only sups.
Supervisors working pays double time, and after three times, maybe triple time.....so even better?
As far as protecting future FT driving positions, go ask a 22.4 if the Union is protecting his job.
I am not a fan and definitely voted no, but in the end 22.4 is indeed the only entry level full time driving job going forward, with full benefits and a pension, so I'm not sure what your point is?

Turning a blind eye to part timers doing full time delivery work is certainly not an option.
I am sure our local management would rather use FT drivers instead of a PT air driver delivering 5 stops an hour but until they can get FT drivers to show up for work everyday, their hands are tied.
This continued assertion is, I'm sorry, totally ridiculous.

Think of what you are saying...

You assert that the Company's "hands are tied", as they pay healthcare and pension contributions for full time drivers who only show up when they choose, while paying top scale to part time air drivers for 5 stops per hour???

I call :bsbullf:.....there's no money in that business model.

Last edited: