Union rep not stepping up...

squirlygirly

In a nutshell, where do you turn when you feel your Union Rep isn't stepping up? NLRB (National Labor Relations Board), someone else in the Union, if so, who, etc.

Solidarity413

In a nutshell, where do you turn when you feel your Union Rep isn't stepping up? NLRB (National Labor Relations Board), someone else in the Union, if so, who, etc.

I would go higher up first, then the NLRB. I'm assuming you take this up with your president and as long as it is legit it'll be handled. What is it, if I can ask?

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
Which union rep are you talking about? If it's a steward, go to the chief steward. If it's the chief, go to the BA. You can call the BA about it at any time. If you still don't get satisfaction call your local pres.

brownIEman

from another perspective, you could try showing up to work, doing your job to the best of your ability and following instructions. Then there would be no need for the union to step up.

I know, this is not what you are looking to hear on this site and it may be totally inappropriate to your situation. You have not shared any of your situation, so I have no way of knowing. I just constantly see situations where people flat out fail to show up for work, no call in, no show, sometimes 3 or 4 days in a row. So, I bring in the steward, pull out the Pittsburgh, and write them up. After which they whine at their steward because she/he did not do anything to get them out of being written up.

raceanoncr

from another perspective, you could try showing up to work, doing your job to the best of your ability and following instructions. Then there would be no need for the union to step up.

Oh, brother! There ain't enough bytes, gigs or whatever there is left on here to go into THAT! "No need for the union to step up?"

You know how many times a MANAGER has said to me, "Well, YOU know the contract better than me so just go ahead and file on anything"? Which I take to mean, "We can do anything we want and break any written contract note anytime we want".

How much do you want me to tell you how I've never called in sick, always done my job, always had to bale them out, how many times I've went the extra mile...etc, etc, only to have them turn on me to where I had to file a grievance.

I've got a binder full of successful grievances. Let's go.

brownIEman

Oh, brother! There ain't enough bytes, gigs or whatever there is left on here to go into THAT! "No need for the union to step up?"

You know how many times a MANAGER has said to me, "Well, YOU know the contract better than me so just go ahead and file on anything"? Which I take to mean, "We can do anything we want and break any written contract note anytime we want".

How much do you want me to tell you how I've never called in sick, always done my job, always had to bale them out, how many times I've went the extra mile...etc, etc, only to have them turn on me to where I had to file a grievance.

I've got a binder full of successful grievances. Let's go.

If you show up and put in the fair days work everyday, all I have to say is thanks! My commnet was not directed at you. And if you have a binder full of successful greivances, clearly the union is stepping up in your area.

All that aside, I understand your venting. That is what I was doing. And really, we are venting about the same thing, people who do not do their jobs well, just the people we are venting about are in different positions.

raceanoncr

If you show up and put in the fair days work everyday, all I have to say is thanks! My commnet was not directed at you. And if you have a binder full of successful greivances, clearly the union is stepping up in your area.

All that aside, I understand your venting. That is what I was doing. And really, we are venting about the same thing, people who do not do their jobs well, just the people we are venting about are in different positions.

OK, point taken, sorry. It's just that I get real testy when I hear this stuff about hourlies or mileage drivers (well, feeders, anyway) being slackers.

Now, I want you to know that I also say the same thing TO the hourlies or mileage drivers here that feel they can screw the company every chance they get. It's not just management that I get vehement with.

One example that I always refer to is this: You get (supposedly) shafted by the company. You get mad. You are gonna take it out on company by calling in sick on X day. Well, you know what? You just shafted ME! How? Cuz I gotta take up YOUR slack!!! I gotta go make the extra pickup that YOU were supposed to make!!! Yeah, you REALLY screwed the company on THAT one!!!

I have ALWAYS been a big advocate of "Work by the Methods". Dont' do anything wrong! If so, you won't have any problem making money or filing grievances. Again, HOW? Well, we all know that doing your job by the methods (whatEVER your position is) is always gonna result in more time. Dispute if you want but it's a proven fact! Next, doing your job by the methods is gonna result in supes or managmenet calling you on SOMETHING! OR, breaking the rules that they also agreed to! Hence, a grievance.

So, in conclusion to this diatribe, I say to all, and by this, I mean ALL, meaning "pt-timers, ft-timers, hourlies, package drivers, feeder drivers, supes, managers and up the line", just do YOUR job and do it to the best of your ability!

Any arguments?

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
OK, point taken, sorry. It's just that I get real testy when I hear this stuff about hourlies or mileage drivers (well, feeders, anyway) being slackers.

Now, I want you to know that I also say the same thing TO the hourlies or mileage drivers here that feel they can screw the company every chance they get. It's not just management that I get vehement with.

One example that I always refer to is this: You get (supposedly) shafted by the company. You get mad. You are gonna take it out on company by calling in sick on X day. Well, you know what? You just shafted ME! How? Cuz I gotta take up YOUR slack!!! I gotta go make the extra pickup that YOU were supposed to make!!! Yeah, you REALLY screwed the company on THAT one!!!

I have ALWAYS been a big advocate of "Work by the Methods". Dont' do anything wrong! If so, you won't have any problem making money or filing grievances. Again, HOW? Well, we all know that doing your job by the methods (whatEVER your position is) is always gonna result in more time. Dispute if you want but it's a proven fact! Next, doing your job by the methods is gonna result in supes or managmenet calling you on SOMETHING! OR, breaking the rules that they also agreed to! Hence, a grievance.

So, in conclusion to this diatribe, I say to all, and by this, I mean ALL, meaning "pt-timers, ft-timers, hourlies, package drivers, feeder drivers, supes, managers and up the line", just do YOUR job and do it to the best of your ability!

Any arguments?
Well done. Next time don't sugar coat it so much, let us know how you really feel!:wink2:

upser_J

I know, this is not what you are looking to hear on this site and it may be totally inappropriate to your situation. You have not shared any of your situation, so I have no way of knowing. I just constantly see situations where people flat out fail to show up for work, no call in, no show, sometimes 3 or 4 days in a row. So, I bring in the steward, pull out the Pittsburgh, and write them up. After which they whine at their steward because she/he did not do anything to get them out of being written up.
what a typical management response!! I like how he then continues with " i know this not what you are looking to hear... and may be totally inappropriate to the situation.... hmmm assuming the hourly is doing something wrong... obviously all UPS management is responsible and upholds the contract to the fullest!!!:lol: instead of saying what you said, maybe you should have asked about the situation first!

screamin chicken

I have to agree that the Union is not what it use to be, at least where I am. I have always done my job, in fact the management disbatch me on any route not the route. I go with 20-30 more stops almost everyday, and on top of that I will be told I have to help others that have less work, or to do there p/ups. So I call the union rep. and there is always no one available, there all in meetings, and they will never call back, when I do talk to someone they will first tell me to work as instructed so I do not get myself in any trouble. So I have to help my union brothers out and do my work and the union does nothing. I have grivences that are so old at the union I forgot what they are for.
My center has had so many different occasion with a FT harrassing, threats (box cutter) to a clerk, and these FT's are still here, but if an hourly was to make a mistake we are written up, or fired on the spot, the union sits back and does nothing....:angry:

upser_J

I have to agree that the Union is not what it use to be, at least where I am. I have always done my job, in fact the management disbatch me on any route not the route. I go with 20-30 more stops almost everyday, and on top of that I will be told I have to help others that have less work, or to do there p/ups. So I call the union rep. and there is always no one available, there all in meetings, and they will never call back, when I do talk to someone they will first tell me to work as instructed so I do not get myself in any trouble. So I have to help my union brothers out and do my work and the union does nothing. I have grivences that are so old at the union I forgot what they are for.
My center has had so many different occasion with a FT harrassing, threats (box cutter) to a clerk, and these FT's are still here, but if an hourly was to make a mistake we are written up, or fired on the spot, the union sits back and does nothing....:angry:
next time you have elections in your area for union local president, maybe you should vote in a new president. It happened at our local, a few years ago, and things have become much better and our union has become much stronger!

brownIEman

what a typical management response!! I like how he then continues with " i know this not what you are looking to hear... and may be totally inappropriate to the situation.... hmmm assuming the hourly is doing something wrong... obviously all UPS management is responsible and upholds the contract to the fullest!!!:lol: instead of saying what you said, maybe you should have asked about the situation first!

Others asked about the situations before I posted there was no response. I took this to mean the original poster did not want to share the specifics.

"obviously all UPS management is responsible and upholds the contract to the fullest!!!"

Nice use of the straw man. That is not any where near what I said, meant or implied.

squirlygirly

Didn't mean to be ignoring y'all. Been busy trying to get my job back, since being sent to treatment program.

Greatly appreciate advice given, because advice was well received!!!