Union retirees: Don't cut my pension --- Good Read

Atomic_Smurf

It's not all Tea Bags as I had originally stated, but it's about the same thing. One hates unions and the other is jumping ship.

You almost made it. You should have corrected yourself by saying "it's not at all the tea party". You have zero evidence that the tea party hates unions. None.

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
It's a crying shame. Why couldn't we get a bail out for pensions like everyone else did 6years ago.
Maybe because those bail outs 6 years ago where wrong. And a bail out of troubled teamster pension funds with taxpayer money would be equally wrong.
I think the solutions should be something like:
#1 If you are in a troubled teamster multi-employer pension plan-your future pension will be 100% based upon the amount your employer paid into the fund on your behalf.
#2 If you employer is no longer contributing to a pension fund that you are in, then your pension will be reduced.
I am sorry some peoples pensions will have to be reduced to save these pension funds. But I have always said, You make choices in life, and you must deal with the consequences of those choices.
A friend of mine works at Yellow. We have spoken many times about his company no longer contributing to the WCT pension fund. I have recommended many times to find another driving job with a contributing employer. He won't do it. Too afraid of change. Well then, why should I be on the hook for his choices?

M

Mike hunt

Maybe because those bail outs 6 years ago where wrong. And a bail out of troubled teamster pension funds with taxpayer money would be equally wrong.
#1 If you are in a troubled teamster multi-employer pension plan-your future pension will be 100% based upon the amount your employer paid into the fund on your behalf.
#2 If you employer is no longer contributing to a pension fund that you are in, then your pension will be reduced.
I am sorry some peoples pensions will have to be reduced to save these pension funds. But I have always said, You make choices in life, and you must deal with the consequences of those choices.
A friend of mine works at Yellow. We have spoken many times about his company no longer contributing to the WCT pension fund. I have recommended many times to find another driving job with a contributing employer. He won't do it. Too afraid of change. Well then, why should I be on the hook for his choices?
I agree with you it's just a shame that a man or a woman think they are goo then comes the finish line what should be the good times in life guy worked so hard for and its gone. It sucks.

upschuck

Personally, that is why I think the UPS was so gong ho about the legislation, was to lower other companies pension outlays through the pension, making it stronger for those still contributing. In central UPS has to make up any shortfalls the union pension plan doesn't pay.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
That is correct, I remember my brother asking me if I was still getting paid while I was out for a couple months, I said no, and he said "you are union, right?"
Yup....we just sit around and get paid to nap. The general public has no clue how hard we work...nor could many handle doing our jobs.

M

Mike hunt

Yup....we just sit around and get paid to nap. The general public has no clue how hard we work...nor could many handle doing our jobs.
Preloading can be a maddening job. That and getting up at 3 in the am make for some impossible days. If you have a good Preloader you should at least chip them off a hundred at Christmas. It's worth it.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Central States is in such poor shape that one funding for one receiving still would not make gains into the fund. ALL of this falls on the Hoffa administration for not being proactive over a decade ago.

This doesn't fall "only" in Hoffa's lap.

The deregulation of the trucking industry, was the initial catalyst.

What needs to happen now is these folks should be allowed to find jobs that they can perform without the Teamsters telling them they'll suspend their pension and that includes truck driving.

The Central States re-employment rules are restrictive. (to a degree)

How about organizing Walmart, Amazon, Con Way, and Fed Ex freight for starters?

Organizing, is a double edge sword. Not that I disagree with your premise.

The TDU people harp on this constantly.... But, they don't tell the whole truth.

Organizing takes time, and money. My Local is proactive in doing so.

Unfortunately, there is a "diminishing point of return."

For what was spent.... in some situations, the Local will never recover the monetary

expenditure in 15 years. (from dues) Yes, we gained members. But, at what cost ?

Those are the ones you win.

Many multi employer funds, including CS, came into critical status because so many contributing companies went belly up leaving companies like UPS holding the bag.

Going back, to deregulation.

There are alternate plans already in place (PBGC) but these are a last resort as they pay pennies on the dollar.

The PBGC pays .40 on the dollar. The whole concern, is they will go broke.

Your NY plan, is a prime example.

Only 50-55% funded.... and paying out $5500.00 a month ? (correct me if I'm wrong)

The Teamsters need to end their dictation on what one can do for employment after they collect their pensions. The vast majority of these folks are truck drivers. After 30 years behind the wheel it's all most of these folks know. Want to grow the union?? Allow these folk to drive for non union companies. It's defiantly worth a shot. Look how far sitting on our hands has got us.

Allow retired Teamsters.... (collecting a pension)

To work for non-Union companies.. that compete with the Union ones.

I will let that, speak for itself.

-Bug-