Union retirees: Don't cut my pension --- Good Read

oldngray

nowhere special
"Central States lobbied heavily for the new pension-cutting measure, which has led many of its retirees to speculate that it will be one of the first plans to reduce benefits."

So the teamster lobbied congress to cut pensions?

It wasn't just the Teamsters that lobbied for reduction of benefits.

The United Food and Commercial Workers Union is a heavyweight on the labor scene. It pays its president $350,000 a year. It’s holding its next executive board meeting in February at a swanky beachfront resort in Hollywood, Florida. And it just doled out nearly $8 million to influence the last election and lobby Washington.

But when it comes to standing by the obligation unions made to provide pensions to retirees, UFCW pleaded poverty in persuading Congress to let chronically underfunded union pension plans cut the benefits of workers, including those already retired.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/dec/29/big-spending-unions-got-congress-to-approve-pensio/

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
It wasn't just the Teamsters that lobbied for reduction of benefits.

The United Food and Commercial Workers Union is a heavyweight on the labor scene. It pays its president $350,000 a year. It’s holding its next executive board meeting in February at a swanky beachfront resort in Hollywood, Florida. And it just doled out nearly $8 million to influence the last election and lobby Washington.

But when it comes to standing by the obligation unions made to provide pensions to retirees, UFCW pleaded poverty in persuading Congress to let chronically underfunded union pension plans cut the benefits of workers, including those already retired.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/dec/29/big-spending-unions-got-congress-to-approve-pensio/

That article, is more than misleading.

I haven't noticed anyone mention how all of this is compounded by someone retiring at a young age. Early fifties is a very young age to retire, (sure you may have met all the established guidelines.) But, can you reasonably expect to retire after 30 years of contributions, and then be paid benefits for upwards of 40 years (more than your working lifetime.)

And, reality.... is injected in to the conversation.

-Bug-

bbsam

Staff member
It almost sounds like union members excusing the companies. As if people should just realize it couldn't be true.

So what is UPS promising today that members can expect to disappear in the next 20 years?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Just look at the amount of money going into the pensions now compared to 30-40 years ago.

Many of those pension have had massive increases in contributions but minimal increases in pension amounts. Some have even decreased.

Funny this last contract my BA said he was amazed that we got raises because we already made plenty. He didn't mention a word about health and Wellfare increases.