Union won't let me work for another hub

watdaflock?

The hub I work at does not deliver to my home. I asked about being a driver helper in my home town which is covered by another UPS hub. Our neighboring hubs are part of the same local union.

Nobody can explain why the hub which delivers to my home would rather hire somebody off the street (who they do not know) then bring on a seasonal jumper from another location.

Only thing I've been told its something to do with the union and how we are paid....yada-yada.

Seems like the Union is preventing me from working as a temp seasonal elsewhere....?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
The hub I work at does not deliver to my home. I asked about being a driver helper in my home town which is covered by another UPS hub. Our neighboring hubs are part of the same local union.

Nobody can explain why the hub which delivers to my home would rather hire somebody off the street (who they do not know) then bring on a seasonal jumper from another location.

Only thing I've been told its something to do with the union and how we are paid....yada-yada.

Seems like the Union is preventing me from working as a temp seasonal elsewhere....?
You only have seniority in your building. As I understand it...you can temp work in another building only if your building doesn't have enough work to fulfill your daily guarantee. Why can't you be a helper in your building?

watdaflock?

you can temp work in another building only if your building doesn't have enough work to fulfill your daily guarantee.

The idiots in our Union should take into consideration where employees live.

Jumping for the hub I work at is available but then I must leave my vehicle somewhere unattended and am expected to wait until I'm needed.

Instead the stupid union prevents me from going home, leaving my vehicle at home and jumping in my home town because its not where I work.

What the 'eff does the Union have to do with working as a seasonal temp? Does the the Union stuff their pockets from temp seasonal jumpers?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular

Jumping for the hub I work at is available but then I must leave my vehicle somewhere unattended and am expected to wait until I'm needed.

Instead the stupid union prevents me from going home, leaving my vehicle at home and jumping in my home town because its not where I work.

What the 'eff does the Union have to do with working as a seasonal temp? Does the the Union stuff their pockets from temp seasonal jumpers?
It's not UPS problem that you don't live close to your building. Would you expect them to give special treatment and allow an employee to be late everyday because he lives an hour away, but yell at the guy who's late who lives 10 min away? No. Jump in your building or don't jump.

watdaflock?

It's not UPS problem that you don't live close to your building. Would you expect them to give special treatment and allow an employee to be late everyday because he lives an hour away, but yell at the guy who's late who lives 10 min away? No. Jump in your building or don't jump.

Does the Union take fees from temp seasonal jumpers?

That doesn't make sense. (Not you) Sounds like payroll doesnt want to deal with,multiple centers.

watdaflock?

That doesn't make sense. (Not you) Sounds like payroll doesnt want to deal with,multiple centers.

I guess but what employment I have outside of my hub should not matter to the union if they are not involved.

I didn't think the Union took fees from temp seasonal jumpers, so where I jump should not matter.

Pay from the temp seasonal position should be separate from as a (Seniority) preloader.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah

Id try to jump with the driver in your center that delivers closest to your house. How far away do you live from your center dude?

By The Book

If you have building seniority at your current hub you would get the inside helper pay. If you were to jump for another hub you wouldn't have seniority at that hub. You would be paid as off the street seasonal. What hours do you work now?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I guess but what employment I have outside of my hub should not matter to the union if they are not involved.

I didn't think the Union took fees from temp seasonal jumpers, so where I jump should not matter.

Pay from the temp seasonal position should be separate from as a (Seniority) preloader.
It's a separate payrate but will be probably paid in one check. Your EID is what it is...regardless of which building you work in.

watdaflock?

If you have building seniority at your current hub you would get the inside helper pay. If you were to jump for another hub you wouldn't have seniority at that hub. You would be paid as off the street seasonal. What hours do you work now?
I'm 5+ hours a day (currently) in my hub doing preload.
That's all I wanted was the chance to work as an "off the street seasonal" in my home town just so I could park at home....

I've heard horror stories of seasonal jumpers returning to find where they parked their vehicles empty.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
That's all I wanted was the chance to work as an "off the street seasonal" in my home town just so I could park at home....

I've heard horror stories of seasonal jumpers returning to find where they parked their vehicles empty.
Maybe try to be a helper with a driver who has a route close to your building? You could leave your car in the parking lot...

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Since the union is so terrible why don't you just run along and find a job somewhere else.

By The Book

There may be language that says inside employees can leave with a driver after their shift. In our center they do this with some. Some preloaders get picked up after jumping by someone who can drive them back to their car at ups. This way you can get the most hours. To be honest, it's all work and you might as well get paid the most you can to do it.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

You're still going to drive to meet the driver where he wants to meet you. If you're my helper I'm sure as hell not coming by your house to pick you up. I drove 45-50 minutes at times to be a driver helper my first year. Why? Because it was my job and where they told me to be.

watdaflock?

You're still going to drive to meet the driver where he wants to meet you. If you're my helper I'm sure as hell not coming by your house to pick you up. I drove 45-50 minutes at times to be a driver helper my first year. Why? Because it was my job and where they told me to be.

You're wrong, do not know where I live and what you did has zero to do with my situation.

Just go away before you embarrass yourself more.