Union won't let me work for another hub

watdaflock?

You work in a union shop you should be paying union dues unless you work in a scab oops should I say rtw state which paying union dues is voluntary. Don't like paying union dues go find another job.

Typical union response. Don't you feel it's a little bit wrong what the union does to seasonal employees?

Closed shop state locals hitting part-timers for initiation fees is one of the biggest scams going in the Teamsters. Initiation fees are 100% OK for someone coming into a job with a union pay scale, pension, and benefits. That's bordering on extortion for $10/hour at 20 hours a week and no health benefits for a year.

No doubt about it. It'll be fun attempting to find out how many of the 95k seasonal workers brought in paid union fees and how many end up actually being hired earning seniority.

watdaflock?

It would make no sense to hire you as a helper in the hub closer to your home.
This is starting to sound like abbott and costello who's on first skit.
The hub closest to my home is where I work. The hub where I work does not deliver to my home.

They (the other hub 30+ miles away) picks up a jumper most likely 200 meters from my front door.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
You think it is fair for seasonal employees to pay dues and/or initiation fees?

Seasonal employees should pay dues but should never pay initiation fees.

A seasonal hire in the hub would be making a base rate of pay at $10/hour. Under the IBT constitution (to the best of my knowledge) members making less than $11/hr pay 2x their hourly rate in dues. That's $20 a month ($5/week) when they'll probably be working 25-40 hours a week.

Seasonal package car drivers (depending on area) will be making between $18-24/hour. They should absolutely pay dues.

Hitting someone over the head for initiation fees for working a month and a half, however, is indefensible.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The hub closest to my home is where I work. The hub where I work does not deliver to my home.

They (the other hub 30+ miles away) picks up a jumper most likely 200 meters from my front door.

Sorry---I misread your post.

You should be allowed to be a helper in the hub where you work, not the one that delivers to your home. Letting you help in the latter hub could be unfair to an insider in that hub who also wants to be a helper. The only way it would be fair is if every PTer was asked whether they wanted to help or not and there were still openings.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Seasonal employees should pay dues but should never pay initiation fees.

A seasonal hire in the hub would be making a base rate of pay at $10/hour. Under the IBT constitution (to the best of my knowledge) members making less than $11/hr pay 2x their hourly rate in dues. That's $20 a month ($5/week) when they'll probably be working 25-40 hours a week.

Seasonal package car drivers (depending on area) will be making between $18-24/hour. They should absolutely pay dues.

Hitting someone over the head for initiation fees for working a month and a half, however, is indefensible.

I respectfully disagree, especially if they are here for less than 30 days. If they are retained after Peak the Union can collect "back dues" if they so choose.l

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular

It's just easier for ups to hire some schmuck off the street...it is what it is. If i work 6 days during peak...I clear almost 50 hours anyway....half of which is OT. By Sat this week I'll have 37 hours...plus my 8 holiday hours. Hoping to make a grand this week! lol

UPSGUY72

You think it is fair for seasonal employees to pay dues and/or initiation fees?

Fair is a subjective word. Maybe you should use right or wrong. As I said you work in a union shop you should be paying union dues. If you get hired on after peak than you should be paying initiation fees. If you don't get hired on after peak you can request a refund from the local you worked in.

If you don't want to pay union dues than go find a non union job. We wouldn't be making what we do, have the benefits we have and the rights we get in the contract if we didn't pay union dues be it as a seasonal, pt of FT employee.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We have a hard enough time getting helpers. Can you imagine how much more difficult it would be if we told they would have to pay union dues yet would not be protected by the union?

Do you think the local wants to collect dues only to have to refund them one month later?

UPSGUY72

We have a hard enough time getting helpers. Can you imagine how much more difficult it would be if we told they would have to pay union dues yet would not be protected by the union?

Do you think the local wants to collect dues only to have to refund them one month later?

In that case they would just need to hire more FT drivers. It is what it is Dave most people don't request a refund just like most people do return the can and bottle that they pay a $.05 deposit on in NY.

watdaflock?

Sorry---I misread your post.
You should be allowed to be a helper in the hub where you work, not the one that delivers to your home. Letting you help in the latter hub could be unfair to an insider in that hub who also wants to be a helper. The only way it would be fair is if every PTer was asked whether they wanted to help or not and there were still openings.

I understand and agree with you if they have a jumper who is an insider at the hub who delivers to my home.
If they were not allowing me to work (for the hub who delivers to my home) because of bringing in a temp seasonal (not already inside) has been my question.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

So, if they are both in the same local and you are unable to work as a helper in your hub, I don't see why you couldn't do so in the other, provided that everyone in that hub was asked and they still had openings. Kind of late now but something to think about for next year.

oldngray

nowhere special
Working out of another hub could get complicated with pay coming from 2 different centers. The other hub might need to be treated like an off the street hire or something else done in a weird way.

M

Mike hunt

The hub I work at does not deliver to my home. I asked about being a driver helper in my home town which is covered by another UPS hub. Our neighboring hubs are part of the same local union.

Nobody can explain why the hub which delivers to my home would rather hire somebody off the street (who they do not know) then bring on a seasonal jumper from another location.

Only thing I've been told its something to do with the union and how we are paid....yada-yada.

Seems like the Union is preventing me from working as a temp seasonal elsewhere....?
Grieve it this year and get a decision by about September and maybe you can do it next year.