UNION?

Slick silver

Here a question I've always wanted to ask... Besides the teamsters what other national level union could express couriers try to get represent us. Or is there really nothing out there that is worth a dam

Slick silver

Very true, has anybody ever thought of creating a national union from the ground up that is founded by express guys. Or is that almost like a act of God to even think of

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Here a question I've always wanted to ask... Besides the teamsters what other national level union could express couriers try to get represent us. Or is there really nothing out there that is worth a dam

Unfortunately, what we do is Teamster "turf". Right now, they still won't even answer questions or return phone calls from Express employees...at least not this one. They know that Fred holds the upper hand, and they don't want to spend millions on a campaign that might fail. In my opinion, morale is so bad at Express, that the IBT would win easily in most states. Let me explain further.

It's complicated because of the RLA. Under the NLRA, you could have union stations and non-union stations. All of the big city stations would easily go union in a heartbeat. The problem is that the RLA is pretty much an all or nothing deal, and the "50% +1" includes conservative anti-union states that could easily kill the overall outcome. This is why the Teamsters won't touch Express, and why Fred has anti-union Kryptonite in his evil hands. He knows the power of the RLA, and went as far as including specific contract language in his purchase of Boeing aircraft that would kill the sale of additional planes if the RLA were even amended to make it easier for us to organize. The Obama administration tried, and it was shot down in flames.

It's very difficult to fight entrenched power like that which Smith holds. He has Big Money, powerful political allies, and now, a GOP controlled Congress. Fred is a corrupt bastard, and he needs to get knocked down before we can truly organize in the traditional manner.

The other way, for which I have long advocated, is to start sitting down on the job until Fred makes some changes, and most people aren't willing to risk their jobs by shutting down sorts, or parking CTVs. Unfortunately, under the current circumstances, that's what it's going to take to get some changes, but the ultimate answer is still a union contract, which cannot happen without national organization through a recognized union with the power and capability to make it happen.

That means Hoffa and the IBT. They absolutely know what is going on at Express, and until we change their minds about the outcome of a vote, we're not on their radar.

l22

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!

To the OP, you are not alone in your feelings. While a few people posting in this thread may say things like the one I quoted above, thank you for saying what's on your mind and realize that many fellow employees are with you. I have recently noticed almost daily talk of wanting to unionize among frontline employees at my station.

To everyone out there: remember that communication between one another is the key. Frontline employees sharing information and telling one another the crap they have had to deal with will eventually be the beginning of change.

bbsam

Staff member
To the OP, you are not alone in your feelings. While a few people posting in this thread may say things like the one I quoted above, thank you for saying what's on your mind and realize that many fellow employees are with you. I have recently noticed almost daily talk of wanting to unionize among frontline employees at my station.

To everyone out there: remember that communication between one another is the key. Frontline employees sharing information and telling one another the crap they have had to deal with will eventually be the beginning of change.
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!

Nolimitz

Correct. I wouldn't hire them anyway. It's strange. Around here the go out with about 30 stops and act like they're overburdened. I couldn't imagine the whining I'd get if I sent them out with a full day of deliveries that weren't envelopes.
That's almost funny. normal day is 95-100 dels and 25 pups. Tues I had a 2nd route (40 stops) added to my dels. finished at 19:00 no break. My help for the day was someone taking a whopping 4 pups off me.

bbsam

Staff member
That's almost funny. normal day is 95-100 dels and 25 pups. Tues I had a 2nd route (40 stops) added to my dels. finished at 19:00 no break. My help for the day was someone taking a whopping 4 pups off me.
Tell dezguy, not me.