United Way Columbia - Willamette

Brown58

#IamJairo
I have been doing some investigation on my donations to United Way Columbia Willamette. During the campaign, we were told that our selected 501 (c) 3 would get 100% of our donations. This has turned out not to be the case. A company called Truit, which United Way used to have a financial stake in, is taking upfront administrative fees out of the donation. There is no accountability for ones donations. No oversite as far a monies coming in, matching funds and monies going out. I am a Legacy Leadership giver and have some serious concerns.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I stopped giving to them years ago (UW). There are so many good charities out there that need support. Pick a few and do it on your own.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Brown only gives a 15% match? That's laughable if true. My previous company matched 100% for all recognized charitable contributions.

beentheredonethat

I disagree, give a penny and participate.

Photog;
I'll admit, I give to United Way, but only because the immense pressure. I have emails from my div mgr indicating people should rethink working for UPS if they don't become a leadership giver. This isn't from a decade or more ago. That was from last years campaign. I do it, because if I don't, I will get screwed in the end. Once I get to the point where I am eligible to retire, I will stop giving and instead donate that money (plus other monies I donate to other charities) to the other charities only. I am fed up with United Way. However, with the economy the way it is, i want my job.

beentheredonethat

I have been doing some investigation on my donations to United Way Columbia Willamette. During the campaign, we were told that our selected 501 (c) 3 would get 100% of our donations. This has turned out not to be the case. A company called Truit, which United Way used to have a financial stake in, is taking upfront administrative fees out of the donation. There is no accountability for ones donations. No oversite as far a monies coming in, matching funds and monies going out. I am a Legacy Leadership giver and have some serious concerns.

I agree with the frustration. The U Way does take out a percentage (15% sounds about right). UPS does a 15% match but that goes to the general united way fund. They make it sound like it all goes to your charity but it doesn't. ALso, if I'm not mistaken, the money goes to the charity at the end of year, not after each paycheck.

Oak

Not for sure, but the way it has been put to me I am the sole reason our building does not have 100% participation in donating to the UW. I politely informed my sup that every dime I donate goes to St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital. The way it always has been, the way it will always be.

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
Photog;
I'll admit, I give to United Way, but only because the immense pressure. I have emails from my div mgr indicating people should rethink working for UPS if they don't become a leadership giver. This isn't from a decade or more ago. That was from last years campaign. I do it, because if I don't, I will get screwed in the end. Once I get to the point where I am eligible to retire, I will stop giving and instead donate that money (plus other monies I donate to other charities) to the other charities only. I am fed up with United Way. However, with the economy the way it is, i want my job.
C'mon, have some backbone. Your charities need your $ now. Why make them wait?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Photog;
Your job may be in jeopardy if you refuse to donate? That's ridiculous....then why call it a donation? Just make it a united way management fee!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Brown only gives a 15% match? That's laughable if true. My previous company matched 100% for all recognized charitable contributions.

I'm fairly certain that your previous employer has not had $1B in cumulative contributions.

The 15% match was added recently in response to concern over administrative fees.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I don't necessarily agree that it's a sham but I agree that giving directly to a charity one cares for is much more efficient.

I donate $20/week with the money directed to our local Hospice. I prefer donating to UW through payroll deduction as I am able to give more than I could if I had to write a single check. Yes, I could write 52 checks, but why should I when I have the convenience of payroll deduction at my disposal.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Not for sure, but the way it has been put to me I am the sole reason our building does not have 100% participation in donating to the UW. I politely informed my sup that every dime I donate goes to St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital. The way it always has been, the way it will always be.

A one-time donation of $1 would ensure 100% participation, would get your sup off your back and would not break your bank. Just sayin'.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I agree with the frustration. The U Way does take out a percentage (15% sounds about right). UPS does a 15% match but that goes to the general united way fund. They make it sound like it all goes to your charity but it doesn't. ALso, if I'm not mistaken, the money goes to the charity at the end of year, not after each paycheck.

The 15% match was added to cover administrative costs.

UPS forwards the money in full to the charity of your choosing upfront, not at the end of the year.

beentheredonethat

C'mon, have some backbone. Your charities need your $ now. Why make them wait?
Let me be clearer. I do donate to the united way and direct it to the charity of my choice. However only roughly 85% gets to them. I also donate money outside of united way to causes I believe in. Once I am at the point of eligible for retirement I won't donate to united way and instead give all the money to the charity of my choice netting them 15% more.

beentheredonethat

The 15% match was added to cover administrative costs.

UPS forwards the money in full to the charity of your choosing upfront, not at the end of the year.

Well, I broke up my donation to various charities. a small portion of it was to my local church. I assumed no one else did it and had that confirmed by the church treasurer. I then asked him to tell me when the United way wrote a check out to the church and for how much. He got one check after the end of the year for less then the whole amount i contributed ~ 85%.

Maybe it's different in other United Way agencies. But that's what it was here. I did that test after another person I know said he did the same thing but for a larger amount for his church. I have also asked people rather high at UPS about this during the united way fundraiser and they confirmed the 15% went to the general fund and not to the charity.