United Way Harassment

Wilson

I post this every year when UW time comes. The picture itself is in regards to our government, but the same principles apply in regards to UPS & the UW:

8690375536_95a7bde710_c.jpg

I can't believe how short sighted, ignorant, and self serving this statement is. Its a justification and rationalization for really do nothing hidden behind a false depiction of individual benevolence that seem never to materialize in the real world. If what this person said was in fact the most successful application of human compassion then why is their so much need.

The failure in the premise this the belief that everyone starts in this world equally and the results of our lives are measured by merit. Nothing could be farther from the truth. For every one example of meritorious advancement their are millions of examples of its rarity. How much do you think a Harvard education cost? Well heres a class in Justice that will help maybe to have you see the world better.

Veil of ignorance

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veil_of_ignorance

Last edited:

Scratchy

They never sat you in an office and had supervisors double teaming you about giving?

I've had that happen once in the past where a center manager had each PT'er individually in his office to share his spiel on UW and his own direct involvement in community meetings and events.

I caved. $1/week since then. But this time around we have a new center manager.

oldngray

nowhere special
I've had that happen once in the past where a center manager had each PT'er individually in his office to share his spiel on UW and his own direct involvement in community meetings and events.

If you don't want to give just say no and it is a personal choice. They can't argue about that and will leave you alone after their first attempts to pressure you. Crap like that $1 a week is just so they can get to 100% participation and look good to their bosses. Not your problem.

clean hairy

They never sat you in an office and had supervisors double teaming you about giving?
They did that to me one time.
Sat down, listened to them talk.
Said nope, and asked how much longer they wanted tp pay me not to work.
Screamed at me to get back to work and they would be watching me.
Filed a harassment grievance, have not heard anymore about it since.
Still put zero and make a copy for my records.

Cowboy Mac

I can't believe how short sighted, ignorant, and self serving this statement is. Its a justification and rationalization for really do nothing hidden behind a false depiction of individual benevolence that seem never to materialize in the real world. If what this person said was in fact the most successful application of human compassion then why is their so much need.

The failure in the premise this the belief that everyone starts in this world equally and the results of our lives are measured by merit. Nothing could be farther from the truth. For every one example of meritorious advancement their are millions of examples of its rarity. How much do you think a Harvard education cost? Well heres a class in Justice that will help maybe to have you see the world better.

Veil of ignorance

I can't believe how short sighted YOUR statement is. You must think that people of higher incomes are a different degree of person. The baser people of lower incomes could never reach that status if they just worked hard, right? Because they weren't born with the Successful Gene. You should pick up a book and read once in a while. Start with the biography of pretty much any successful person and you will see that many of them had to work against the odds.

You wonder why these cases of "success" are so rare compared to the amount of "failures" in the world (success is relative by the way)? It's because people are lazy. They would rather do the same old thing for the rest of their lives than work hard and claw their way out of the hole. They would rather COPE with how sad their life is (stuffing themselves with pizza, booze, drugs, watching tv) than THRIVE in their environment and reach their true potential (educating themselves, reading, meditating).

Of course people come into this world with different situations. But, we do the best we can with the cards we're dealt. If that's not the best measure of a man, I don't know what is.

Wilson

I can't believe how short sighted YOUR statement is. You must think that people of higher incomes are a different degree of person. The baser people of lower incomes could never reach that status if they just worked hard, right? Because they weren't born with the Successful Gene. You should pick up a book and read once in a while. Start with the biography of pretty much any successful person and you will see that many of them had to work against the odds.

You wonder why these cases of "success" are so rare compared to the amount of "failures" in the world (success is relative by the way)? It's because people are lazy. They would rather do the same old thing for the rest of their lives than work hard and claw their way out of the hole. They would rather COPE with how sad their life is (stuffing themselves with pizza, booze, drugs, watching tv) than THRIVE in their environment and reach their true potential (educating themselves, reading, meditating).

Of course people come into this world with different situations. But, we do the best we can with the cards we're dealt. If that's not the best measure of a man, I don't know what is.

You just expanded and reiterated on all the stereotypes and one sided self serving perspectives that allow you to enjoy your advantages without the need to be circumspect about it. You never really addressing true socioeconomic realities.

Lets see who is really lazy here? Watch the Harvard Lecture I attached. Everything you have cited was reviewed, debated, and addressed. Do better than that for a come back and I'll be happy to go back and forth with you on the details. Don't forget to review John Rawls Veil of Ignorance dissertation I also linked.

diffizzle

This is literally what just happened in my center. center manager called every unload team in his office, gave a speech and handed us a slip. I'm not full time yet so I figured it wasn't worth the fight.
Is it like this in other centers?

Overpaid Union Thug

Veil of ignorance

You apparently missed the point of the statement.

UnconTROLLed

perfection

I can give you hundreds if not thousands of examples of preeminent prodigies and geniuses that were highly successful,and afflicted with mental illness, diseases (alcoholism, drug abuse), personality disorders and so on. Just check out the lives of some of the top businessmen and CEOs..if you think your position is somehow holier-than-thou

Cowboy Mac

You just expanded and reiterated on all the stereotypes and one sided self serving perspectives that allow you to enjoy your advantages without the need to be circumspect about it. You never really addressing true socioeconomic realities.

Lets see who is really lazy here? Watch the Harvard Lecture I attached. Everything you have cited was reviewed, debated, and addressed. Do better than that for a come back and I'll be happy to go back and forth with you on the details. Don't forget to review John Rawls Veil of Ignorance dissertation I also linked.

Nah, I'm too lazy to watch your little videos. I can pretty much summarize the mindset you're coming from. "Poor me, poor me, it's the system! The system is holding me back. If only someone would do something! Maybe Obama can be the change we need...Yes we can!"

Let me clue you in on a little secret: the government isn't going to fix world hunger. The government isn't going to end all conflict in the world. Hell, they can barely keep up with the maintenance of our roads.

If you really care about charity and helping people, why don't you go and find someone who needs help and actually help them? That would go a lot farther than having UPS take $1 a week, which they get a cut of, then they send it to UW, and they take their cut, then they send it to your charity, and they get their cut, and by the time it gets to the person who needs it, only $.30 remains.

What I'm saying is that it is up to the individual in this world to make their own happiness. Nobody's gonna do it for you. Yes the world is random and bad luck happens to everybody. It has been my experience, however, that God or Fortune or Opportunity (whatever you may call it) tends to lend itself to those who help themselves.

Cowboy Mac

I can give you hundreds if not thousands of examples of preeminent prodigies and geniuses that were highly successful,and afflicted with mental illness, diseases (alcoholism, drug abuse), personality disorders and so on. Just check out the lives of some of the top businessmen and CEOs..if you think your position is somehow holier-than-thou

I think you meant to quote the other guy. That's what I was saying, that tons of people have been successful despite the odds, despite their weaknesses. There's no special gene that you're born with that makes you able to be successful but the next guy not.

Wilson

Nah, I'm too lazy to watch your little videos. I can pretty much summarize the mindset you're coming from. "Poor me, poor me, it's the system! The system is holding me back. If only someone would do something! Maybe Obama can be the change we need...Yes we can!"

Let me clue you in on a little secret: the government isn't going to fix world hunger. The government isn't going to end all conflict in the world. Hell, they can barely keep up with the maintenance of our roads.

If you really care about charity and helping people, why don't you go and find someone who needs help and actually help them? That would go a lot farther than having UPS take $1 a week, which they get a cut of, then they send it to UW, and they take their cut, then they send it to your charity, and they get their cut, and by the time it gets to the person who needs it, only $.30 remains.

What I'm saying is that it is up to the individual in this world to make their own happiness. Nobody's gonna do it for you. Yes the world is random and bad luck happens to everybody. It has been my experience, however, that God or Fortune or Opportunity (whatever you may call it) tends to lend itself to those who help themselves.

That's a self-inflicted wound of ignorance that, based on your writings, you don't even know you've done. I guess you can go back to crushing beer cans on your forehead. If you hurry you can catch some Dukes Of Hazzard returns. Say hi to Cooter. Yeeehaaaaw!

Cowboy Mac

That's a self-inflicted wound of ignorance that, based on your writings, you don't even know you've done. I guess you can go back to crushing beer cans on your forehead. If you hurry you can catch some Dukes Of Hazzard returns. Say hi to Cooter. Yeeehaaaaw!

I understand that you were calling me lazy. My point is that I know I'm lazy, and that is the path I have chosen. I could also choose to not be lazy. That's the great part about life: you make your own choices.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 112