United Way Harassment

I Am Jacks Damaged Box

***** Club Member (can't talk about it)
There's always people that have reasons why they will participate (or not) in the push to give to Untied Way. Tax write offs, because they feel good about it, because they are pressured to, Untied Way is corrupt, they already give elsewhere, whatever. Mine is simply because UPS has made a metric out of it and are too pushy about it. But......won't even put half of that kind of effort into fixing any of the rather long list of problems we have as drivers.

So, they can take their sign up forms and shove them into the same holes they get verbally raped in by their coward district and region level superiors via conference call. Their problem. Not mine.

h5Dyxny.gif

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
My center is having their United Way drive this month and I chose to donate nothing, for a number of reasons. Well, the supervisors didn't have the testicular fortitude to ask me to reconsider to my face, so they recruited the shop steward. Not only did the shop steward hound me about it, but in his United Way pitch there was a veiled threat. I was told a donation could "alleviate some pressure in other places." Do I have any recourse from here or basically just watch my butt?
I would show up to the next union meeting with a large number of people showing you support, and ask in front of everyone why that steward threatened you.

Comeand Takeit

smoking without tires at light speed
File a petition to have your shop steward removed. What a PU:censored2:5Y! UW is like OSHA. UPS just wants to pay too play and keep that sparkly reputation. POUND SAND UNITED WAY-OFF!
:tank:

JackStraw

I was told a donation could "alleviate some pressure in other places
Sounds like extortion to me. I don't like the fact that UPS gets all the credit for the donations either. Also, if they take any drivers off notice, I'll gladly donate. Don't act like your my buddy now and then tell me I'm not working hard enough 2 weeks later.

O

OLDMAN3

Brian Gallagher, United Way Worldwide received total compensation of more than $1.5 million in 2012
My former local United Way director (retired) still gets $375,000 a year.

Designating your money to a specific charity does not mean they will receive one cent more than they would have otherwise from the United Way...All contributions are fungible.

The United Way supports "charities" that many find very offensive, remember your contribution does not truly support a specific charity even if you "designate" your money.

In addition, charities which apply for United Way funding incur additional administrative costs to justify their need to the United Way.

Say you contribute $100
United way takes $12.50 to $15 for fundraising, paying outrageous salaries, and distributing your money.
Individual charities incur approximately 3% additional administrative costs to justify their need to the United Way

So the $100 you gave becomes $82 and is distributed to whoever the local United Way board (made up of corporate executives) deems worthy. Some examples are the Shakespeare Theater, wealthy Preparatory Schools, Planned Parenthood ($1.9 million in 2008) , the United Nations Association etc. etc. You may very well agree with funding these specific organizations, but there are likely some you would not.

Last edited by a moderator:
O

OLDMAN3

The United Way receives and distributes donations on a regional basis. They tell donors they can "designate" which charity they want to receive their donation. But the distribution to the various charities is based on "budgets" developed independently from "designated" contributions. Since so few donors name a particular charity, the United Way decreases their funding from the un-designated funds....

The board determines charity X needs $100,000 this year in funding. Designated contributions specifically naming charity X come in at $20,000. Charity X receives $100,000 from the United Way, not $120,000. The designated $20,000 becomes part of the $100,000. The $20,000 in designated funding simply frees up $20,000 to give to another not so worthy charity.

The result is that the charity receives the amount the local board budgeted, regardless of your designation. So it is more accurate to say that you contributed to all the charities the United Way supports.

Last edited by a moderator:

cmoll

My center is having their United Way drive this month and I chose to donate nothing, for a number of reasons. Well, the supervisors didn't have the testicular fortitude to ask me to reconsider to my face, so they recruited the shop steward. Not only did the shop steward hound me about it, but in his United Way pitch there was a veiled threat. I was told a donation could "alleviate some pressure in other places." Do I have any recourse from here or basically just watch my butt?

The third worst offender was again for the 7th time was, Brian Gallagher, President of the United Way receives a $375,000 base salary (U.S. funds), plus so many numerous expense benefits it's hard to keep track as to what it is all worth, including a fully paid lifetime membership for 2 golf courses (1 in Canada, and 1 in the U.S.A.), 2 luxury vehicles, a yacht club membership, 3 major company gold credit cards for his personal expenses...and so on. This equates to about $0.51 per dollar of income goes to charity causes.
Read more at http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/charities.asp#2TwXFQ6HDbFLwLMJ.99
Don't give in

cmoll

T
That's one of the chain e-mail examples that page actually debunks further down in the text. Not that I'm a UW fan. Resent the harassment myself.

his was the update to my post
United Way: The United Way is another charitable organization that operates on both global and local levels. We're assuming the e-mail references the President and CEO of United Way Worldwide, Brian A. Gallagher, whose last reported total yearly compensation was $717,076 (including a base salary of $415,613, which is a bit higher than the $375,000 figure reported above). Charity Navigator rates this organization's efficiency at 89%, while Forbes rates it at 85%, both much higher than the 51% efficiency claimed in the e-mail.

Read more: http://www.browncafe.com/community/...he-united-way-heres-why.365977/#ixzz3jDaOSm1o

Give if you want. Don't give if you don't want to.

Just help someone and give from the heart. I give a small token amount to the United way. But I have other places that need the money more.

We are blessed, just do a little something.