United Way rep came for PCM

For 20 a month (about as much as a loader makes on a 400 count every day), we can help 8,080 people get dental care and food. I got a shirt.

We had a center wide PCM and it seemed like robotic or disassociated. Pretty much everyone had a "we don't even make enough for ourselves" look on their face.

United Way is no longer a charity it is a scam. I'll keep volunteering at my food shelters and pantries and seeing real help and change.

Boooooooooo.

Last edited:
But, we can also do 20 every paycheck and help with shoes, school supplies and hygiene products. At 10.25, assuming five 3.5h days, an average PT doesn't clear $9500 and ends up giving ~13% of their pay. These are pre tax dollars with call-in and no paid holidays, nor any dues or taxes (for mitigation of five 3.5h shifts).

My only thought was which idiot gives ~13% or more of their pay. There's some new hires who were given handouts while we went back to start work.

Poop Head

Judge me.
But, we can also do 20 every paycheck and help with shoes, school supplies and hygiene products. At 10.25, assuming five 3.5h days, an average PT doesn't clear $9500 and ends up giving ~13% of their pay. These are pre tax dollars with call-in and no paid holidays, nor any dues or taxes (for mitigation of five 3.5h shifts).

My only thought was which idiot gives ~13% or more of their pay. There's some new hires who were given handouts while we went back to start work.
giphy (3).gif

Oak

If a person has the ability to give, give to a place like St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital. The amount that goes to admin costs is really microscopic. Like two or three employees total. I've been there and met them.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
If a person has the ability to give, give to a place like St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital. The amount that goes to admin costs is really microscopic. Like two or three employees total. I've been there and met them.
The game they play is telling people they can designate that charity and united way will give them the money. Middle men cost money though.

When it comes to charities it doesn't get much better than St. Jude I second that.

Over 70

Until my house is paid off in 5-10 years and I'm 100% debt free, I'm not in a position to donate to anything financially. I'm in the negative.

If you finance a new car every couple years, good for you. Screw that.

Time is far and away the single greatest donation you can give.

35years

Gravy route
"Brian Gallagher is the President and Chief Executive Officer of United Way Worldwide

Brian Gallagher’s total compensation in 2015 was $1,236,611. This includes $532,028 in base compensation, $175,000 in bonus and incentive compensation (approved by the Executive Compensation Committee and Board of Trustees based on his successful performance of specific objectives), $142,553 in other reportable compensation, and $387,030 in health insurance and retirement benefits."

If each of us (250,000 teamsters at UPS) gives $5,000, we can cover his salary.
Lets give the United Way!

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
"Brian Gallagher is the President and Chief Executive Officer of United Way Worldwide

Brian Gallagher’s total compensation in 2015 was $1,236,611. This includes $532,028 in base compensation, $175,000 in bonus and incentive compensation (approved by the Executive Compensation Committee and Board of Trustees based on his successful performance of specific objectives), $142,553 in other reportable compensation, and $387,030 in health insurance and retirement benefits."

i donate one dollar a paycheck

35years

Gravy route
Designating your money to a specific charity does not mean they will receive one cent more than they would have otherwise from the United Way...All contributions are fungible.

The United Way supports "charities" that many find very offensive, remember your contribution does not truly support a specific charity even if you "designate" your money.

In addition, charities which apply for United Way funding incur additional administrative costs to justify their need to the United Way.

Say you contribute $100
United way takes $12.50 to $15 for fundraising, paying outrageous salaries, and distributing your money.
Individual charities incur approximately 3% additional administrative costs to justify their need to the United Way

So the $100 you gave becomes $82 and is distributed to whoever the local United Way board (made up of corporate executives) deems worthy. Some examples are the Shakespeare Theater, wealthy Preparatory Schools, Planned Parenthood, the United Nations Association etc. etc. You may very well agree with funding these specific organizations, but there are likely some you would not.

35years

Gravy route
The United Way charities receive and distribute donations on a regional basis. They tell donors they can "designate" which charity they want to receive their donation. But the distribution to the various charities is based on "budgets" developed independently from "designated" contributions. Since so few donors name a particular charity, the United Way decreases their funding from the un-designated funds....The result is that the charity receives the amount the local board budgeted, regardless of your designation. So it is more accurate to say that you contributed to all the charities the United Way supports.

35years

Gravy route
The United Way board determines St. Jude needs $100,000 this year in funding. Designated contributions specifically naming St. Jude come in at $20,000. St. Jude receives $100,000 ($20,000 in designated funds, $80,000 in undesignated funds) from the United Way, not $120,000. The $20,000 in designated funding simply frees up $20,000 to give to another not so worthy charity.

Give your $100 directly to St Jude.
If you give it through the United Way St Jude will get $85.
St Jude will also incur expenses (typically 3%) for all the paperwork the UW makes them submit to justify their need.

bumped

Can you please explain your math 250,000 x 5000=1.25 billion

rod

Retired 22 years
The game they play is telling people they can designate that charity and united way will give them the money. Middle men cost money though.

When it comes to charities it doesn't get much better than St. Jude I second that.

Salvation Army , VFW's and Am. Legions are 3 other choices that take almost zero % for administrative fees. I personally know my VFW passes on 100% of their donations to worthy projects.