Unjust Termination

jeremyfix

On Feburary 22 I was terminated as an employee of UPS for allegedly "falsifying" company documents. Specifically I was accused of lying on my MVDC while applying for a position as a full-time driver.

The MVDC asks if you've been CONVICTED of any traffic offenses in the past 12 months. I received a ticket for driving with a suspended license in August 2006. Currently, my case is pending due to a deferred prosecution. The prosecutor says I did not plead guilty, therefore could not be convicted of anything. I even have a letter from them stating as much. UPS position is that I had to plead guilty to get a deferred prosecution despite the fact that the court says otherwise. As a matter of disclosure, I did reveal to UPS that my license was suspended and what it was suspended for (failure to pay a speeding ticket). The incident from August 06 does NOT even come up on my state motor vehicle abstract. I do not feel I was dishonest because I have not been convicted of anything. Only in August 2007 after a full year will my record reflect the incident in August 2006 and in that case it will only show a ticket for No Valid Operators License which is not criminal.

What makes this even worse than it otherwise would be is that I met with Loss Prevention, my center manager, and the center HR lead who ALL agreed I'd done nothing wrong and was in no way, shape or form trying to be dishonest or mislead UPS. Two days later, I was informed by my center manager that despite them all agreeing with me that the Labor manager, a person I'd never talked to and had never offered to talk to me, decided that I needed to be fired. The union is fighting this for me but since this is the only time i've ever needed them, what do you think my chances are of getting my job back? I actually have the documentation from the court and prosecutor showing that UPS position is incorrect or at least their assumption that I had to plead guilty is incorrect. Does UPS have the right to keep me away from working even though they obviously can't prove beyond a reasonable doubt that I was dishonest. I'm of the opinion they can't prove I was dishonest at all because I wasn't. What do you think?

Overpaid Union Thug

You should beat this. The MVDC asks for actual driivng infractions. That means what is actually on your record. NOT what might be on your record. Either way...this is BS.

DS

Fenderbender
The big thing here is they fired you.
You were one of hundreds of applicants today,
they dont need a reason to not hire you however how wrong it may seem.I personally wouldnt hire someone that had a speeding ticket and a court case for driving without a permit pending.
If you were driving before this,you may get the wrongfully dismissed thing and get paid for it all.

30andout

Here I thought speeding was a requirement at UPS, get that air off in time!!!! Even though they know it can't be done.

jeremyfix

I don't mind them not hiring me, UPS can have whatever driver requirements they want. Don't hire me cause I have green eyes, I don't care. But don't fire me from my preload job because its alleged I was "dishonest" on a form that I wasn't dishonest on. Especially after 3 UPS mgmt people agreed that I wasn't dishonest. And to imagine that I also had my letter in to go into mgmt before I was even offered the opportunity to go driving. Do I even want to become "one of them"? LOL

The big thing here is they fired you.
You were one of hundreds of applicants today,
they dont need a reason to not hire you however how wrong it may seem.I personally wouldnt hire someone that had a speeding ticket and a court case for driving without a permit pending.
If you were driving before this,you may get the wrongfully dismissed thing and get paid for it all.
Just how many people on here do you feel have perfect driving records? All the guy did was fail to pay a speeding ticket. Who has never got a speeding ticket? As long as it wasn`t in a cdl vehicle or crashed into a bus load of kids whats the big deal.
Jeremy I would fight this all the way,wrongfull termination suit if need be.

trickpony1

Jeremy-
Exhaust the grievance procedure first.
If you aren't made whole then get an attorney and sue the socks off the company then live happily ever after on the monetary award.
Good Luck.

PS- it's good that you expose situations like this. I think there are people that don't think crap like this happens. The public needs to know.

trickpony1

Another negative by trickpony. What positive have you said about the company?

Give me something positive to talk about and I will.
I'd like to tell you the company treats everyone equally.
I'd like to tell you the company will help an employee that has unexpected situations happen to him/her.
I'd like to tell you my immediate management team can make decisions without the input of higher ups.
I'd like to tell you my immediate management doesn't have to walk around with their hands on their rear ends covering them for protection from above.
I'd like to tell you that we don't have a particular "management" person that is out of control and accountable to no one.
I'd like to tell you the company, when all else fails, will not resort to trumped up charges of "dishonesty/integrity" to fire someone as evidenced by several threads, both past and present.

Before you ask me why am I still working for the company, I will answer that question. The same reason you are 1)money and 2)trapped by pension.

Please give me something positive to talk about.

ups79

Trick-what a bitter man you seem to be. Anything about your job make you feel rewarded and happy. I assume you run feeders at night. If so I bet your family is happy.

raceanoncr

Trick-what a bitter man you seem to be. Anything about your job make you feel rewarded and happy. I assume you run feeders at night. If so I bet your family is happy.

What in the world does "run feeders at night" have to do with this?

30andout

I'd like to tell you the company will help an employee that has unexpected situations happen to him/her.
I'd like to tell you my immediate management team can make decisions without the input of higher ups.
I'd like to tell you my immediate management doesn't have to walk around with their hands on their rear ends covering them for protection from above.
I'd like to tell you that we don't have a particular "management" person that is out of control and accountable to no one.
I'd like to tell you the company, when all else fails, will not resort to trumped up charges of "dishonesty/integrity" to fire someone as evidenced by several threads, both past and present.

Before you ask me why am I still working for the company, I will answer that question. The same reason you are 1)money and 2)trapped by pension.

Come on Trick, at least your positive that UPS will screw you every chance they get.

raceanoncr

race-at least you understood it, finally.

Man! What'd I do for THIS? I asked a simple, honest question, "What's 'run feeders at night' got to do with this?" and get hit with "Stupid" and "at least you understood it, finally"!

Talk about a bitter little person! Well, go ahead, I don't mind...just don't understand why! Just because I make tons of money, have 32 houses around the country, drive luxury cars and SUVs, am extremely handsome, AND am the REAL father of Anna Nicole's baby does not mean I have to get dissed, tho.

"Sticks and Stones may break my bones, but chains excite me"

tieguy

Banned

Looks like you listed a couple of positives already.

If you believe the company that you work for is so immoral and so corrupt and you decide to ignore that point and continue working for them then what does that make you?

Despite that point I do agree with Tricks point to call a lawyer if the union grievance process is not working. I believe in this company but I definitely recognize that individuals in the company can make bad decisions.