Unloading Solo

StevoMachino

Hey everyone! Been with the brown for a few years now and only just found out about this AWESOME place. How cool

So I work in a small mountain town hub in the Rockies...6 preloaders, 2 unloaders, 2 scanners and 4 part time sups. Due to how well ups treats their part timers....we turn and burn the help so fast we average about 3-4 people a month. Hiring is a process and a half; we constantly are short handed and they begin to call in drivers to fill in slots.
I’m not one to complain about hard work much (grew up on a ranch) but I’ve been unloading 5-6 trailers everyday solo, busting every small bag within, and doing all the surepost bags as well (6 different post offices). I’m the only one that has to stay late to wrap up trucks, reverse the belt for missed pkgs, and finish splits/cuts (working as directed), all the while sups are leaving because they have a “5.5hr” restraint. Oh but not me. Very tiring on the body and leaves little energy to perform at a second job...as only lazy people try to survive off of a pt job.
Is there anything I can do to relieve some pressure from management? Anything I can say, maybe grieve? Been around long enough I know the whole “the more you do the more they give ya” bs but this is ridiculous. Why do hard working people get slammed while lazy mfers scoot by? I’ve now begun to play the union game back with things such as the 11 ppm out of the trailer rule (they expect me to keep 2 scanners busy, but don’t expect scanners to bust small bags) “working safely” “walking at a brisk pace not running” “doing the best I can” stuff like that. I don’t like doing that but I mean...it is the Union. Things don’t get handled like they use too....

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
Hey everyone! Been with the brown for a few years now and only just found out about this AWESOME place. How cool

So I work in a small mountain town hub in the Rockies...6 preloaders, 2 unloaders, 2 scanners and 4 part time sups. Due to how well ups treats their part timers....we turn and burn the help so fast we average about 3-4 people a month. Hiring is a process and a half; we constantly are short handed and they begin to call in drivers to fill in slots.
I’m not one to complain about hard work much (grew up on a ranch) but I’ve been unloading 5-6 trailers everyday solo, busting every small bag within, and doing all the surepost bags as well (6 different post offices). I’m the only one that has to stay late to wrap up trucks, reverse the belt for missed pkgs, and finish splits/cuts (working as directed), all the while sups are leaving because they have a “5.5hr” restraint. Oh but not me. Very tiring on the body and leaves little energy to perform at a second job...as only lazy people try to survive off of a pt job.
Is there anything I can do to relieve some pressure from management? Anything I can say, maybe grieve? Been around long enough I know the whole “the more you do the more they give ya” bs but this is ridiculous. Why do hard working people get slammed while lazy mfers scoot by? I’ve now begun to play the union game back with things such as the 11 ppm out of the trailer rule (they expect me to keep 2 scanners busy, but don’t expect scanners to bust small bags) “working safely” “walking at a brisk pace not running” “doing the best I can” stuff like that. I don’t like doing that but I mean...it is the Union. Things don’t get handled like they use too....

Suck it up.

First, whenever someone claims they have the hardest pull, either here, or any of the people I've met in my center, it means they're a self centered :censored3: with an overinflated sense of self importance.

By your post, you get more than 5.5 hours a day. Count your blessings. A lot of guys here would love to get a half an hour of overtime every day.

Either you want to work, or you don't. Figure it out.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

So, you’re unloading 5-6 trailers by yourself

What are the 2 unloaders doing

Methods Man

As everyone else said, slow the eff down. If your going as fast as you claim, you’ve only gotten lucky to not get hurt yet. Luck runs dry.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
9E2A7F67-85A5-4F85-8A4F-2591898B443E.jpeg

Over 70 I’m guessing, use your power zone.

You can grieve harassment if management is constantly staring you down or telling you to hurry it up, but honestly, request a preload positing once you gain seniority. 6 trailers tends to hurt the back.

flappybutt

Bring it up to a safety committee member that you are having to work unsafely, and that there's too much work for one person to do safely. Although, UPS doesn't care about safety until it costs them money.

BigBrown87

If it’s brown, it’s going down
All you can do is work at a safe and reasonable pace, the union will not back you because they are short staffed being a PT. The only case you got is whether the other guys going home have less seniority? Usually it works from the top down in regards to getting cut but that is a supplemental issue that you should ask a BA or union steward. Ever try calling in and tell them you are gassed from staying late and unloading 5-6 trailers a night with no help? You have to stand up for yourself the union will back you but you need to take the first step.