Unloading Time?

andrew99

The reason you don't see many people with 5-10 years seniority in the unload is that as soon as they put in enough time they usually high-tail it to the sort aisle or some other "preferred" position. If they don't they're either masochists or they lack the mental abilities to learn the building's sort.

Maybe you should be a supervisor, you're already drinking the coolaid.

Last edited:

Hubrat98

Maybe you should be a supervisor, you're already drinking the coolaid.

I don't know how what you quoted me saying infers I'm drinking coolaid. You must have gotten that from my avatar.

However, your statements about a fair nights work would be unloading 300 pieces and doing re-tapes for the remainder of the sort, and supervisors WANTING employees to get hurt simply show you have an axe to grind with the company.

You also didn't say anything about my statements NOT being factual. That's because you know they are true so you resort to a (very minor) personal attack.

andrew99

However, your statements about a fair nights work would be unloading 300 pieces and doing re-tapes for the remainder of the sort, and supervisors WANTING employees to get hurt simply show you have an axe to grind with the company.

I aboslutely do have an axe to grind with the company. I've been at ups for the better half of a decade, and don't know many here as long as me who don't. There's a few, but they're bleedin brown and drinkin koolaid --- nobody i'd take advise or gather perspective from.

UPS is a big company, the hub where i work especially... there are many instances where 300 packages a night in unload can satisify the honest shifts work for honest shifts pay motto, but, i'm not here to convince folks. I'll just restate my opinion, that UPS management (not just supervisors) want you to get hurt. It helps keep the long term costs down if someone quits after they get hurt, and what a better way to get someone to quit than to run them through the grinders everyday.

You talk about the sort isle as if it is the gravy train, where all belts flow downhill and there's never a problem in the world. Maybe you need to take a trip to my hub, there's two belts at ~ 5 ft off the ground (one front one back) as well as an irreg belt , which means, you often get irregs mixed in with your packages. Have fun in the sort isle, I bet you wouldnt last a week here coolaid.

Hubrat98

I aboslutely do have an axe to grind with the company. I've been at ups for the better half of a decade, and don't know many here as long as me who don't. There's a few, but they're bleedin brown and drinkin koolaid --- nobody i'd take advise or gather perspective from.

UPS is a big company, the hub where i work especially... there are many instances where 300 packages a night in unload can satisify the honest shifts work for honest shifts pay motto, but, i'm not here to convince folks. I'll just restate my opinion, that UPS management (not just supervisors) want you to get hurt. It helps keep the long term costs down if someone quits after they get hurt, and what a better way to get someone to quit than to run them through the grinders everyday.

You talk about the sort isle as if it is the gravy train, where all belts flow downhill and there's never a problem in the world. Maybe you need to take a trip to my hub, there's two belts at ~ 5 ft off the ground (one front one back) as well as an irreg belt , which means, you often get irregs mixed in with your packages. Have fun in the sort isle, I bet you wouldnt last a week here coolaid.

You're right UPS wants every employee to get hurt. :whiteflag: That way the hubs and centers and feeder departments can be staffed with low seniority, unskilled employees. It's a great business plan.

I'll be the first to admit that the hub can be an unsafe work environment. But as you said it's your opinion that management wants you to get hurt. And you know what they say about opinions?

As for the bet. I'd hate to take your hard earned money. :wink2:

Nothing I say will change your OPINION. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Management will say anything, including lie, to get what they want.

For example, on Veterans day, they told a young lady that she would not be recieving time and a half for hours work and asked her if she would like to go home for the night ( to make their staffing plan). this was an outright lie, of course, she WOULD HAVE been making time and a half.

The key to unloading is to work at a safe pace and NEVER jeopordize your safety and well-being. I personally have seen some very serious injuries happen, first hand. Including teeth knocked out, broken arms, fingers, etc. It is not a nice job and you MUST ABSOLUTELY always be watching what you are doing and what is going on around you.

Good luck to the kid though! Tell him to work safely above and beyond everything else.

again, Management will lie and cheat anyone they think they can get away with. It's been the same song and dance for a long time. There are no "numbers" to hold employees accountable by including "1 hour per trailer". Just do the best job you can.

I've been retired for a few years now but, since when is Veterans' Day a ups holiday?

HAHAHAHA. Wow, i love how they have an absolute minimum time to unload an unknown number of boxes. The simple fact of the matter is the UPS supervisors who are in the unload have zero clue as to how many packages are in their trailors. It could be as many as 2600 or as few as 1200-1400 on a 48-54 ft trailor. Clearly it would take longer to unload 2k boxes than 1.2k boxes, but that doesn't matter to the UPS supervisor. All that matters to him, is that you break your back unloading the tailor in 45 minutes. Yes, they want you to get hurt to get the job done.

Just ask a supervisor, "Is this job safe?" they'll say ,"yes, it is safe, you will not get hurt if you follow the methods." This is untrue. There is a reason you don't see people in the unload with more than 5-10 years seniority, and it is because they drive you into the ground. This forces you to either quit because you won't get hurt, or get hurt and quit when they throw you back into the same job which they swore was safe.

Also, it irks me to consider who are you to determine if your relative is slacking off at UPS? His job there is simple, do an insane amount of work for insanely little cash, so the people at the top can get paid, and the stock can go up. It's that simple. If he's hucking out 800 pkgs/ hr, at $8.00 minimum per package, he's moving $6400 worth of merchandise an hour, $102k dollars worth of product a week and getting a platry 140ish on friday? I don't think he'd be slacking off if he only did 300 packages a day and did retapes or address corrections for the entire rest of his shift.

I spent over 3 decades at UPS and instead of arguing many points of view with you brother teamster....I'll just say don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out the door.

andrew99

I spent over 3 decades at UPS and instead of arguing many points of view with you brother teamster....I'll just say don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out the door.

I'll just say that every UPS hub is different. I have witnessed incindents in the hub which have sent employees to the hospital as per direct neglegence on management & supervisors. I'll also say that i have absolutely zero problem spending 3 months of the year on light duty or restrictions. I'm not letting some sheep get me hurt because they don't want to follow proper safety proceedures. It's of no surprise that you dont agree with my points of view, many people @ my hub don't. But at the end of the day, I walk out without a limp and play golf, while the "lifers" & brown-nosers will spend the weekend icing their backs or favoring a bum shoulder and knee. Now, please find yourself bandaid because you're bleeding brown and it's making a mess.

Hubrat98

I'll just say that every UPS hub is different. I have witnessed incindents in the hub which have sent employees to the hospital as per direct neglegence on management & supervisors. I'll also say that i have absolutely zero problem spending 3 months of the year on light duty or restrictions. I'm not letting some sheep get me hurt because they don't want to follow proper safety proceedures. It's of no surprise that you dont agree with my points of view, many people @ my hub don't. But at the end of the day, I walk out without a limp and play golf, while the "lifers" & brown-nosers will spend the weekend icing their backs or favoring a bum shoulder and knee. Now, please find yourself bandaid because you're bleeding brown and it's making a mess.

So you fake an injury? If so, that just shows a total lack of character. You do know that if management tells you to do something that is obviously unsafe you don't have to do it?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

So you fake an injury? If so, that just shows a total lack of character. You do know that if management tells you to do something that is obviously unsafe you don't have to do it?

Be careful giving this type of advice--it is always best to work as directed first and then grieve later. The only time that I would agree is if you are asked to do something that could/would subject you to physical harm.

working up a sweat

I don't work in unload. I am a sorter. In my hub you walk into the building and there is a chance they will assign you to another belt or area. About once a year I get told to go unload. I always use the load stand and follow safety standards. It takes me about 1 hour to unload a short trailer alone. I asked the FT sup if that is acceptable. He said yes. Thank goodness they got rid of the old school shorties with the bellies. They were an injury hazard.