Unreported crash and alleged dishonesty

swing_drv

I'm pretty sure if they put you back on the road after it happened they can't fire you. That's the way it is in central anyway.

JackStraw

Had a Circle of Honor driver in my center with 30 years clip some old lady's bumper. No damage to both vehicles. Lady says don't worry about it. Apparently she told her husband and (I'm guessing here) he says screw that we're reporting it, could be something broken we don't see. They fired him. Well, bless their hearts, they let him "retire". REPORT EVERYTHING. There are no safe driving awards anymore. Accidents happen. Not worth your job just so your management team can get their bonus. They'll be mad for a day or two who cares?

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
When I was a new driver this (almost) exact thing happened to me. I was in a little 700 and trying to pull into an uphill driveway in a rural area. There were paver blocks marking a sort of half-assed flower bed at the edge of the driveway. My tire hit the pavers and dislodged a couple of them. I abandoned my attempt to go up the driveway, parked on the road, fixed the paver stones and re-distributed the mulch. The homeowner wasn't home, however I made it look like it was before I arrived and it was far from the house so no cameras. I called my on-car and told him what happened to cover my ass and he was fine with it.
Bottom line: Always be honest and cover your ass. It's really hard to get permanently fired from hitting something, but it's really easy to get fired for trying to hide stuff/not reporting a screw-up.

Sweeper

Where’s the broom?
Talking to the home owner again might be your only hope. Explain to the home owner you got fired and the only way you get your job back is if he calls ups and lies for you. The home owner could simply say it was Fedex who hit the blocks and he was mistaken. If he retracts his complaint then there is no proof of anything? Worth a shot.
If you are going to do this and you have any kids take them with you. Make sure that video hasn't already been given to UPS, an insurance company or law enforcement before you proceed.

john chesney

A few weeks back, (day 1) while making a right turn, my rear tires caught a 2 foot high paver block wall (trying to keep people from running over grass I suspect). The blocks fell over and I ran a bunch over. No damage to the car or blocks, just knocked over. My intended stop was 4 doors past the corner where the blocks were so I stopped there. I got out, saw the blocks and looked at the package car. Saw no damage so went to deliver the stop then go pick the blocks up. Of course couldn't find the package. Finally found it, delivered it (driver side). Walking back to the car I looked at my next stop and realized I was behind (getting a business off by 5). I got back in the driver side and rolled on, never giving thought to the blocks. Got the business off at 4:50, got my air back with 15 mins to spare. Forgot all about knocking some pavers over. Next morning, (day 2) I was called into the office. You guessed it, video camera. Center manager reamed me a new one, told me if the homeowner wanted us to pay I'd be terminated. I explained what happened and he sent me on the road. Same route. I stopped by the homeowners on my lunch, told him it was me and apologized. I told him I intended to pick them up, explained how I forgot and apologized. He explained how he didn't want any money or see anyone get in trouble, he was just upset I didn't stop. Day 3, called in and discharged for dishonesty. Filed my grievance and have been out of work 2 1/2 weeks. Have my local hearing in a few days with my BA and the labor manager. Think I got a chance?
Number 1.Your story better not change at the local level hearing.
You should be ok but might be taking a trip to the state panel. This is assuming you didn't lie about it.
ATTENTION if your pkg car comes in contact with anything Stop and call center and report it and let them decide if it's an accident

john chesney

Unless your center is REALLY hard up for drivers, you'll need to find new work.

You should've immediately stopped, attempted to make contact with home owner (if not home, leave short note explaining what happened and how to contact UPS), and then contacted management.

Good luck and if you do get brought back, slow the friend down.
Be careful with the home owner ups don't like this. CALL UPS CENTER AND FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS GIVEN

john chesney

When I was a new driver this (almost) exact thing happened to me. I was in a little 700 and trying to pull into an uphill driveway in a rural area. There were paver blocks marking a sort of half-assed flower bed at the edge of the driveway. My tire hit the pavers and dislodged a couple of them. I abandoned my attempt to go up the driveway, parked on the road, fixed the paver stones and re-distributed the mulch. The homeowner wasn't home, however I made it look like it was before I arrived and it was far from the house so no cameras. I called my on-car and told him what happened to cover my ass and he was fine with it.
Bottom line: Always be honest and cover your ass. It's really hard to get permanently fired from hitting something, but it's really easy to get fired for trying to hide stuff/not reporting a screw-up.
This is why you're still driving. Direct from ups management "if we can't trust you we don't need you"

john chesney

I TAPPED a trash can turning around on a dead end street...didn't even knock it over...called my sup and told him and he said why are you telling me this who cares? I said it's my career I care. He said ok whatever and hung up hahahaha...but if I didn't report it and it was on camera they'd probably fire me
Smart move. Bravo

john chesney

Talking to the home owner again might be your only hope. Explain to the home owner you got fired and the only way you get your job back is if he calls ups and lies for you. The home owner could simply say it was Fedex who hit the blocks and he was mistaken. If he retracts his complaint then there is no proof of anything? Worth a shot.
You try this and you're toast. No hope at panel either.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
SMH ... LOL