Upcoming Q2 Earnings Report

vantexan

You asked a very good question. I can't speak for everybody, but I can tell you a few things that kept me working a miserable crap-job for longer than I care to admit.

I was a good, reliable, trust-worthy worker.

I wasn't micro-managed, my boss had my back, and I was treated with respect.

It was really THAT simple.
But you didn't stay there. People will do that sort of work when they don't have other options. If they find something else they leave.

Mutineer

But you didn't stay there.
Yer one to talk about 'staying' anywhere.

What is the definition of 'stay', anyways? Should I have stayed there until I died to earn the prestigious definition or title of 'staying' at a job?

I stayed at that miserable crap-job nearly three years. When I left, I was replaced with another donkey in no-time.
Considering that an enlistment in the military is four years, by any reasonable definition, I 'stayed' at that job.

A surplus of labor guarantees that employees will NOT be treated with respect. And without that free and simple ingredient, I have clocked out at lunch and not returned.

vantexan

Yer one to talk about 'staying' anywhere.

What is the definition of 'stay', anyways? Should I have stayed there until I died to earn the prestigious definition or title of 'staying' at a job?

I stayed at that miserable crap-job nearly three years. When I left, I was replaced with another donkey in no-time.
Considering that an enlistment in the military is four years, by any reasonable definition, I 'stayed' at that job.

A surplus of labor guarantees that employees will NOT be treated with respect. And without that free and simple ingredient, I have clocked out at lunch and not returned.
I'm not being critical. Just pointing out that people don't stay at these jobs unless they absolutely have no other option. And these jobs go begging for help too often. That's why they're often done by illegals. Different mindset. In their culture work is what they do to support their family. It's not beneath them. And they are willing to break their backs to give their kids a chance at a better life. They may sound different, look different, have different standards, but I think their work ethic is worthy of respect. I don't hate them for trying to get into the U.S. I do despise employers who use them to do jobs Americans will do, like construction. Citizens need to come first. And I despise politicians who let them flood through the border because they see future votes. And won't remove the criminals from the country. It's not the poor seeking a better life that are hurting the country. It's those in charge who won't adhere to established law.

falcon back

But you didn't stay there. People will do that sort of work when they don't have other options. If they find something else they leave.
Why do people on hear say time and time again there are better jobs with better pay than Fedex. I don't care how many years you have, if another place pays more, treats you better and has better benefits, you should make the move. Instead, those people keep working at Fedex and then whine and cry on here how much they hate their job.

vantexan

Why do people on hear say time and time again there are better jobs with better pay than Fedex. I don't care how many years you have, if another place pays more, treats you better and has better benefits, you should make the move. Instead, those people keep working at Fedex and then whine and cry on here how much they hate their job.
Not sure if you're misunderstanding. Talking about crap jobs that you leave to go to places like FedEx for better work and a better life. Truth is if you don't have training in a skill, or a degree in something that pays, then FedEx is one of the better jobs out there. But it definitely isn't what it once was. When I started out FedEx treated the courier position like you were skilled labor with a future. Now it seems they're only interested in using you at lowest pay possible with you either accepting that or seeking to find something better. I'm sure you remember when couriers had dress shirts with shoulder boards. About the time they took those away is when we started having the long march towards slow pay progression and stripped down benefits. They didn't want us to think of ourselves as someone who earned a measure of respect with ten year and twenty year shoulder boards. Couriers now are just bodies plugged into routes and much of a manager's time is spent bringing in new employees to replace those who quickly realize that the rewards of working for FedEx don't match the demands placed on employees.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
We're not talking about the realm of fantasy. FedEx can't get people to stay at Express for $19hr. What will it actually take to keep American citizens picking crops, working dairies, feedlots, slaughter houses, chicken processors, sewer plants, etc etc? You can be theoretical all you want but it's not going to happen.
Who is being theoretical? I'm not.

falcon back

Not sure if you're misunderstanding. Talking about crap jobs that you leave to go to places like FedEx for better work and a better life. Truth is if you don't have training in a skill, or a degree in something that pays, then FedEx is one of the better jobs out there. But it definitely isn't what it once was. When I started out FedEx treated the courier position like you were skilled labor with a future. Now it seems they're only interested in using you at lowest pay possible with you either accepting that or seeking to find something better. I'm sure you remember when couriers had dress shirts with shoulder boards. About the time they took those away is when we started having the long march towards slow pay progression and stripped down benefits. They didn't want us to think of ourselves as someone who earned a measure of respect with ten year and twenty year shoulder boards. Couriers now are just bodies plugged into routes and much of a manager's time is spent bringing in new employees to replace those who quickly realize that the rewards of working for FedEx don't match the demands placed on employees.
I understood the discussion about the crap jobs but you said if people had opportunities to get a better job and make more money, they would leave. The same thing goes for any job. People on here keep talking about other jobs that pay more and get treated better, yet they never seem to go get those jobs. Why is that?

You really don't associate the courier uniform with epaulettes and the pay do you? LOL WOW!!!. They were white shirts and you couldn't keep them clean. That's why they replaced them with the darker shirts. They realized the darker shirts hid the dirt better. Man, you have said so crazy stuff before but I believe that tops it all. LOL, WOW, UNREAL, FUNNY!!!!

vantexan

I understood the discussion about the crap jobs but you said if people had opportunities to get a better job and make more money, they would leave. The same thing goes for any job. People on here keep talking about other jobs that pay more and get treated better, yet they never seem to go get those jobs. Why is that?

You really don't associate the courier uniform with epaulettes and the pay do you? LOL WOW!!!. They were white shirts and you couldn't keep them clean. That's why they replaced them with the darker shirts. They realized the darker shirts hid the dirt better. Man, you have said so crazy stuff before but I believe that tops it all. LOL, WOW, UNREAL, FUNNY!!!!
Sorry if you don't get it or feel the need to report me. I've heard a number of senior couriers say that about the shoulder boards over the years. I guess you're not capable of understanding but that's ok. There there.

falcon back

Sorry if you don't get it or feel the need to report me. I've heard a number of senior couriers say that about the shoulder boards over the years. I guess you're not capable of understanding but that's ok. There there.
I was there before the epaulettes when we wore a blue button up. When they went to the white shirt, they also had the blue pullover as a choice. So your sources think the pay raises went away when they eliminated the white shirts? LOL. The company was still trying to find its identity when they brought out the white shirts. The epaulettes were there to play off the pilots uniforms. Then they realized the white shirts were a poor choice for couriers and everyone wore the dark polo.

Not sure what you mean by reporting you. To who? Immigration? The IRS?

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Yah, because million dollar an hour pay is quite common.
Would you deliver packages for UPS during peak for $35 an hour? Yes. Would you do it for $10 an hour? No.

And here I sit at the end of 2021 with someone, wandering off into bacha territory, who disagrees that a person will do a job if he's offered enough money and who claims that such an idea is merely a theory.

Aquaman

I’ve found lately the rewards don’t match the FLEXIBILITY the company now requires from its employees. You’re expected to be able to work 8-12 hours a day. If you have a family you can’t just work 12 hours when your expecting 8. You can’t just work your off day every week. With response they’ve really thrown a wrench in a lot of employees schedules. And FedEx is about the worst job you can work if you’re in need of a normal schedule. So the flexibility required to have that bad schedule change just isn’t realistic. The company doesn’t seem to realize human beings with lives work these schedules.

vantexan

Would you deliver packages for UPS during peak for $35 an hour? Yes. Would you do it for $10 an hour? No.

And here I sit at the end of 2021 with someone, wandering off into bacha territory, who disagrees that a person will do a job if he's offered enough money and who claims that such an idea is merely a theory.
Working for UPS, tough job as it is, isn't the same as working out in a field all day stooped over picking crops. And no one is going to offer Americans that kind of money to pick crops. That's the point. You can't get Americans to do it unless you offer a lot of money, and no one will offer that kind of money because it would make produce prohibitively expensive. So as much as we all hate illegal immigration, we are very beholden to them to do such work. Used to deliver to a feedlot in Oklahoma that had 37,000 head of cattle. There were some mobile homes set up for the illegals right at the edge of the feedlot. After a good rain that lot smelled very much like a waste disposal plant. The feedlot would have had a difficult time operating without those people. And I never said no one would do it if offered enough money. My point, again, is there is work that isn't feasible to pay more and can't get enough citizens to do it at low pay so they have to turn to illegals.

vantexan

I was there before the epaulettes when we wore a blue button up. When they went to the white shirt, they also had the blue pullover as a choice. So your sources think the pay raises went away when they eliminated the white shirts? LOL. The company was still trying to find its identity when they brought out the white shirts. The epaulettes were there to play off the pilots uniforms. Then they realized the white shirts were a poor choice for couriers and everyone wore the dark polo.

Not sure what you mean by reporting you. To who? Immigration? The IRS?
My post calling you obtuse was removed as a personal attack. Someone reported it. No one ever had to wear just the white shirts. But the fact remains that they were removed about the time we stopped getting raises. FedEx has gone from a dedicated proud workforce to just plugging in bodies. Those white shirts with shoulder boards that indicated how senior you were were emblematic of the pride we took in working for a great company. If you think that's not true then you would be obtuse.

falcon back

My post calling you obtuse was removed as a personal attack. Someone reported it. No one ever had to wear just the white shirts. But the fact remains that they were removed about the time we stopped getting raises. FedEx has gone from a dedicated proud workforce to just plugging in bodies. Those white shirts with shoulder boards that indicated how senior you were were emblematic of the pride we took in working for a great company. If you think that's not true then you would be obtuse.
The epaulettes did show seniority. I believe the 3 gold or 3 silver was the top colors. You are mistaken if you believe the epaulettes and pay raises were related. That is like saying the raises went away about the time they quit making us wear steel toe shoes. Or the raises went away when they did away with Z Vans. Uniforms and pay raises have no correlation.

vantexan

The epaulettes did show seniority. I believe the 3 gold or 3 silver was the top colors. You are mistaken if you believe the epaulettes and pay raises were related. That is like saying the raises went away about the time they quit making us wear steel toe shoes. Or the raises went away when they did away with Z Vans. Uniforms and pay raises have no correlation.
I'm saying that the company didn't want a job with a future and over time cut out everything that made couriers feel they had a real career. And I didn't dream that up, just opinions expressed over the years by senior couriers who felt among other things taking away those shoulder boards that designated senior status was a way to make sure couriers didn't see themselves as special in any way. If you don't understand that guess there's nothing more to say besides your usual sneer.

falcon back

I'm saying that the company didn't want a job with a future and over time cut out everything that made couriers feel they had a real career. And I didn't dream that up, just opinions expressed over the years by senior couriers who felt among other things taking away those shoulder boards that designated senior status was a way to make sure couriers didn't see themselves as special in any way. If you don't understand that guess there's nothing more to say besides your usual sneer.
If epaulets makes a person feel special, they have issues. I don't care what I wear at work, stripes don't make or break me.

Aquaman

The company did what it had to do to get where it is today. And making employees feel proud to work here was part of it. But the company is too big now to care about employee morale. There’s nothing to gain now by making sure employees feel appreciated. They’ve been in the “if you don’t like it, leave” mentality for a long time now. Truth is this isn’t a career. It’s a job. Other than driving a tractor trailer there isn’t really anything to be gained here for hourly employees.

bbsam

Staff member
If you honestly think the reason contractor employees don't go union is because it jeopardizes their employers' contracts, then you're on a stronger LSD trip than I thought.

Why aren't contractor employees union? Probably for the same reason that the other 89% of the workforce isn't.
As though the contractor's employees are thinking, "If we organize, our employer won't have his contract renewed."

I love how you deny reality because it doesn't fit your theory.
bacha is right on this. My employees may not be concerned about me having my contract renewed but it doesn’t take them long to figure out the futility of organizing, the contractor losing his contract and the employees being left back at square one.

Sure. Maybe the drivers are picked up by other contractors. Maybe they are seen as trouble makers and avoided by other contractors. Either way, a union is quickly and effectively avoided.

falcon back

The company did what it had to do to get where it is today. And making employees feel proud to work here was part of it. But the company is too big now to care about employee morale. There’s nothing to gain now by making sure employees feel appreciated. They’ve been in the “if you don’t like it, leave” mentality for a long time now. Truth is this isn’t a career. It’s a job. Other than driving a tractor trailer there isn’t really anything to be gained here for hourly employees.
It's always been a job. The people that do it don't need college, prior experience or any special skills except common sense. If you want a career, go to college or a trade school and put your skills to use.