Upcoming Q2 Earnings Report

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Over 40% of all stores are.

You organize employees against their employer.
Your conceptualization of the process is almost reptilian.

The negotiation for a fair share of the fruits of one’s labor doesn’t have to be onerous. Collective bargaining levels the playing field.

Why do you have a problem with a fair fight?

vantexan

Sure they will -- if the price is right.

You're not going to get many Americans to do any job at third world immigrant wages.
We have constant turnover at FedEx. The trucking industry has constant turnover. Yet you think plenty of Americans will line up for back breaking unpleasant work if the price is right. Making agricultural products for example extremely expensive for all of us. If you say so.

bacha29

Did you ever wonder why blacks were used as strikebreakers in the northeast and midwest? Here's a hint: labor unions often relegated them the lowest paying job classifications, if they allowed them to be hired at all. And they didn't trust a bunch of black hillbillies from the south to fight as hard for wages since they didn't get paid squat in the south and it was believed that they'd settle for less than what the white union members wanted.

There was a massive union drive in the south just after WWII. The idea behind it was to raise wages in the south to protect compensation in the north from blacks from moving up there and supposedly screwing it up.

Living in the jing weeds with nothing better to do, you might want to take a stab at getting an education.
Given that your education obviously came courtesy of the private, segregated, whites only Christian school you attended I'll be kind and simply overlook your sheltered understanding of the history of the American labor movement.

bacha29

Starbucks isn't operated by contractors. Ttku son....
Starbucks has stated publicly that it will negotiate " in good faith" with the store in Buffalo that has voted to go union. Other stores in the Buffalo and Boston area have filed petition for a union vote.
At FXG terminals contractors by design are barred from holding more than 30% of the routes in a given terminal. The purpose being that the certain outright termination or contract non renewal if a contractors employees voted in a union would have minimal impact on a terminal's operations and any disruption can be easily and quickly overcome.

Given how the workload and expectations continue to increase, the widening disparity in terms of the value demanded versus the value offered in return and the lack of due process it must continue to be understood that going to work dragging around Fat Freddy's handed off motor freight while on the payroll of a powerless third party contractor is simply transitional employment. Just something to tide you over until something better comes along and it will come along sooner or later.

bacha29

Notice how it’s no longer a crap job?
It is still menial labor intensive work . The only difference is that thanks to the limited mechanization that has been bought into the harvesting process you can plainly see that the hand labor is still there but at a much faster pace.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Your conceptualization of the process is almost reptilian.

The negotiation for a fair share of the fruits of one’s labor doesn’t have to be onerous. Collective bargaining levels the playing field.

Why do you have a problem with a fair fight?
The court jester made some dumb irrelevant remark about organizing employees of a contractor vs organizing employees of a non-contractor. I simply pointed out that regardless, it's an employee/employer relationship - employees organize against their employers.

I don't care who does or doesn't, or why (or why not).

59 Dano

We have constant turnover at FedEx. The trucking industry has constant turnover. Yet you think plenty of Americans will line up for back breaking unpleasant work if the price is right.
Oh, absolutely and only an idiot would argue otherwise.

59 Dano

Given that your education obviously came courtesy of the private, segregated, whites only Christian school you attended I'll be kind and simply overlook your sheltered understanding of the history of the American labor movement.
Given that your education never occurred, I'll be kind and overlook your complete ignorance of the issue.

Leave it to bacha to deny that whites ever discriminated against blacks in the workplace.

bacha29

The court jester made some dumb irrelevant remark about organizing employees of a contractor vs organizing employees of a non-contractor. I simply pointed out that regardless, it's an employee/employer relationship - employees organize against their employers.

I don't care who does or doesn't, or why (or why not).
Thank you Captain Obvious. But since this is Fedex Discussions I went on to point out the repercussions contractors would be facing if they can't block the vote to form a labor union.