*UPDATE UPS LAYS OFF ALL AIR DRIVERS IN MANHATTAN 43RD St building and Manhattan Sou

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Re: *UPDATE UPS LAYS OFF ALL AIR DRIVERS IN MANHATTAN 43RD St building and Manhattan

We only have one pt air driver in the morning and three or four in the evening to make late pickups. We use full time drivers to deliver EAMs before they go out with their regular route. This is a building that usually runs 120-130 routes a day.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Re: *UPDATE UPS LAYS OFF ALL AIR DRIVERS IN MANHATTAN 43RD St building and Manhattan

Our air driver has been out with an "injury" for about a year. The committed air that cannot be delivered on time by the regular drivers is dispatched with drivers on the way to their delivery areas. Our start time is 0900 on Monday and 0915 the rest of the week so EAM's are usually offered by seniority order of the drivers who are in the bldg before start time.

siredline09

The first four years I was full time I was laid off about two and a half years so I bumped. The key is I was full time and you are a part timer. You should only drive if a full timer isn't available period. .......Sorry if I hurt your feeling calling you an idiot but your post seem kind of goofy.

Ps I know I'm not the only one
my man we are talking about a building with 8 centers and 8 floors and 75 drivers per center, air drivers are totally diff from the ones you are used to seeing, I have done routes many times when you guys were down on people and got paid ground pay also i always worked 36 hour weeks as a pt helping drivers finish there routes i also done double shifts believe me we have done it all almost to be considered a full time route driver

UPSGUY72

my man we are talking about a building with 8 centers and 8 floors and 75 drivers per center, air drivers are totally diff from the ones you are used to seeing, I have done routes many times when you guys were down on people and got paid ground pay also i always worked 36 hour weeks as a pt helping drivers finish there routes i also done double shifts believe me we have done it all almost to be considered a full time route driver

Anyway you put it your still NOT a FT Driver

UPSGUY72

ok i know im not but im still loosing my job and benefits which im more worried about thanks for bringing that up anyway.

If I were you I'd show up to work the next day your are usually scheduled to work. If they where going to lay you off for more than a day they would have told you face to face or by phone not. But then again you have all the anwser so listen to the rumor mill and don't show up to work and you definately won't have a job.

robot

Has A Large Member

Why you mad brah?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member

We just had to delete seven posts, I would suggest that a couple of you need to familiarize yourself with this forum's rules about insulting each other.

siredline09

o yea i was a FT driver for 12 years in the bronx in brush ave then for reasons that are real personal left and came back lost my seniority so my man i been with ups for 16 years with my 4 years as a air driver so i think i deserve some respects

UPSGUY72

o yea i was a FT driver for 12 years in the bronx in brush ave then for reasons that are real personal left and came back lost my seniority so my man i been with ups for 16 years with my 4 years as a air driver so i think i deserve some respects

You just keep on thinking..... But remember to show up to work your next schedule work day.

I think your just the man to run against Hoffa and win.

tieguy

Banned

I am amazed every once in a while and have to say this is one of those times. Somebody write this down. Tieguy and I agree on something!!!

lets not make a habit of it.

air_dr

Siredline010, in an earlier thread which you started, I concluded one of my posts by encouraging you to keep us updated of your situation. You have done so, and I wish to thank you. As I said on that post, being an air driver my self, this topic is of particular interest to me.

I wish to reiterate to you what I wrote in that earlier post, and do it even more strongly. I am nearly 100% certain that UPS, when laying people off, must go in reverse seniority order. I am also quite certain that the rule is you first bump the least senior man in your classification (air driver for you), and if that doesn't work (ie. all PT air drivers are being laid off), you bump the least senior man in your building (a hub employee).

While you may not look forward to being a loader again, and I can understand that, in one of your posts on this thread you spoke of concern about losing your job and benefits all together... They simply cannot do that to you. You can put that fear to rest.

I also sensed you were particularly disappointed that, if there was going to be a layoff, they would do it to you on X-mas eve. I can understand that as well. Take this for what its worth...in short, my experiences at UPS have taught me its best to take nothing personally. UPS exists for one ultimate reason, and you show up to work for only that very same reason...which is to make money. While I still try to keep a positive attitude, I have also found it helpful to keep in the back of my mind that the powers that be must feel that my work, in some way, brings more money in to the company, than the company pays me in wages. If the comapny feels they can make more money by not running someone's route than running it, that route is a goner, and it's nothing personal, even if it happens on X-mas eve.

I also want to go on record here as saying I have been disappointed in how some other Brown Cafe members have treated you. While you have not been the most articulate writer, its not like this is an employee forum for journalists or something. Based on things I have learned, both on BC as well as other sources, a reasonable person has good cause for concern about what the future holds for both air drivers as well as 22.3 people. Again, I am thankful that you have let us know what is going on in Manhattan.

Finally, I would encourage you to be very intentional in seeing to it that you get the best deal possible as a result of the changes coming your way. While posting on BC has its place, make sure you stay in close touch with stewards you see face to face at work, and also ask all the relevant questions of your supervisor such as "How long will my layoff be?" "What else could I do at UPS in the meantime?" etc.

All the best. And please continue to keep us updated.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member

I also want to go on record here as saying I have been disappointed in how some other Brown Cafe members have treated you. While you have not been the most articulate writer, its not like this is an employee forum for journalists or something. Based on things I have learned, both on BC as well as other sources, a reasonable person has good cause for concern about what the future holds for both air drivers as well as 22.3 people. Again, I am thankful that you have let us know what is going on in Manhattan.

Finally, I would encourage you to be very intentional in seeing to it that you get the best deal possible as a result of the changes coming your way. While posting on BC has its place, make sure you stay in close touch with stewards you see face to face at work, and also ask all the relevant questions of your supervisor such as "How long will my layoff be?" "What else could I do at UPS in the meantime?" etc.

All the best. And please continue to keep us updated.

I'm disappointed too in the way a new member was treated by some of the older members. Somebody joins because they are worried about their job and they were treated badly by other members having fun at this guy's expense. I hope all air drivers and 22.3 people get their jobs back.

Returntosender

I'm disappointed too in the way a new member was treated by some of the older members. Somebody joins because they are worried about their job and they were treated badly by other members having fun at this guy's expense. I hope all air drivers and 22.3 people get their jobs back.

Never noticed untill now. BC is like UPS 90% of members union or non union treat each other badly. Can't escape the Brown world of crap.

UPSSOCKS

407 steward if you were only laid off you would understand but since your not, you talk too much trash. Karma is a bitc* thats all am saying! and you call yourself a steward talking negative on your members from another city.

That's the way the union works.. They only care about themselves and the select few in their "clique" the other members just donate to the cause..

iowa boy

That's the way the union works.. They only care about themselves and the select few in their "clique" the other members just donate to the cause..

WOW!

Nothing like a quote from a person who truly called it like he saw it.

Except in this case I think the idiom "The pot calling the kettle black" would fit here quite nicely as that same quote can be applied to the way you, as a manager, act toward your coworkers and employees.