UPS 2023 quiet hiring freeze?

Commercial Inside Release

UPS Jobs - USA

Most of the listings are for management and automotive, zero for drivers, half a dozen for preloaders.
If you subtract duplicates there might be less than 200 listings. Normal would be around 2,000.

Edited to add: many of the supervisor jobs might be derelict listings, too.

Sissy Brown Short Shorts

Overheard some management at my building saying there’s going to be either a freeze on hiring and or significant layoffs. That they have lots of cover drivers that they don’t know what to do with. Usually in a recession though the first group of workers that get cleared out is useless middle management and other management redundancies. I’m middle of the pack in terms of seniority. Hopefully I’m unaffected and the Union doesn’t do something so stupid like strike.

Overheard some management at my building saying there’s going to be either a freeze on hiring and or significant layoffs. That they have lots of cover drivers that they don’t know what to do with. Usually in a recession though the first group of workers that get cleared out is useless middle management and other management redundancies. I’m middle of the pack in terms of seniority. Hopefully I’m unaffected and the Union doesn’t do something so stupid like strike.
Better start saving some money

Returntosender

Almost time for the preloaders pay cut 😂

Remember last year? EVERYONE QUIT ! LOL
🧔‍♂️✊
61D64F0D-19E1-4AA4-810A-AF01CFEA1648.gif

ManInBrown

We’ve hired so many off the street feeder drivers here in the last 2 years. Gonna be a lot of unhappy people working on the pallet dock or completely laid off starting in the next few weeks. I gotta feeling it’s going to get real ugly In terms of layoffs. And it also doesn’t help that its contract year. UPS probably feels the gloomier they can paint the picture, the better.

Thebrownblob

We’ve hired so many off the street feeder drivers here in the last 2 years. Gonna be a lot of unhappy people working on the pallet dock or completely laid off starting in the next few weeks. I gotta feeling it’s going to get real ugly In terms of layoffs.
Off the street here means they don’t qualify to do package so they are laid off or can work in the building for less pay

ManInBrown

Off the street here means they don’t qualify to do package so they are laid off or can work in the building for less pay
Same here one exception being even former package drivers can’t go back to package. We don’t have that here, and the crazy thing is I could see former package drivers possibly being laid off. We have feeder drivers that aren’t even at top rate. That’s how quick they run thru the package to feeder list here. And I’m pretty sure the ones that go inside the building or the pallet dock remain at their pay rate.

Thebrownblob

Same here one exception being even former package drivers can’t go back to package. We don’t have that here, and the crazy thing is I could see former package drivers possibly being laid off. We have feeder drivers that aren’t even at top rate. That’s how quick they run thru the package to feeder list here. And I’m pretty sure the ones that go inside the building or the pallet dock remain at their pay rate.
I believe as long as it’s not been 12 months they can come back here I can’t remember the exact time although most don’t bother lol.

ManInBrown

One has to wonder if the over hiring the last few years here, and I’m sure it’s happened elsewhere was hoping they’d have drivers that would cross the line in the event of a strike. It’s such a stark contrast IMO between package transfers to feeders, and off the street. They know nothing about the way the company operates and most don’t bother to educate themselves. There’s a disconnect.

KearsargeCoop

Baseball, dart board
We’ve hired so many off the street feeder drivers here in the last 2 years. Gonna be a lot of unhappy people working on the pallet dock or completely laid off starting in the next few weeks. I gotta feeling it’s going to get real ugly In terms of layoffs. And it also doesn’t help that its contract year. UPS probably feels the gloomier they can paint the picture, the better.
Could be used/viewed the opposite tho too.
Corp could keep people on/working then come contract says "look how many we've hired and kept on", "look at our labor costs, highest in years. all for you, cut down on OT, 9.5 etc"

ManInBrown

We can tra
I believe as long as it’s not been 12 months they can come back here I can’t remember the exact time although most don’t bother lol.
We can go back and maintain package seniority in the first 30 days of being in feeders. After that it needs to be a transfer and we have classification seniority so would be back at the bottom again. There’s no going back for layoffs though.

margaritaville

We’ve hired so many off the street feeder drivers here in the last 2 years. Gonna be a lot of unhappy people working on the pallet dock or completely laid off starting in the next few weeks. I gotta feeling it’s going to get real ugly In terms of layoffs. And it also doesn’t help that its contract year. UPS probably feels the gloomier they can paint the picture, the bet
easy ass jobs are going close to 20 an hour now. It's gonna be hard to convince lazy ass people to do UPS truck driving. So even in a recession hopefully UPS realizes no one is gonna do this level of work without good pay.