ups bent me over big time and the union...Termination

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?
Does it honestly matter? You deem the fact he was lucky and didnt injure anyone not to matter so I dont see how this does? Besides Im pretty sure weve had this convo before....but then again it could be your drug addictions.

Ive been sober for almost 2 days now. It does matter, it matters a whole lot. This kids in a lot of trouble and is going to be a real fight to get his job back. I know he feels like **** about losing his job enough already the fact he has a family makes it even worse. You just seem to add insult to injury .... and you havnt helped him in any way , all you`ve done is go off the subject and given him bad advice about things that you have no knowledge about. at least if he knew you were a 20 year old part timer who has never even driven a package car he may not feel so bad.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Adam, i did not read all 90 plus posts, but i did glance through some. I do have a few questions.

When you were in the office was there a steward present?
When you received your termination letter did you call the union agent/steward?
Was a grievance ever filed?

What i have noticed is that you are not being 100% truthful with everything!
I have been injured and have taken vicodin which is a narcotic, and on the bottle it says do not operate heavy machinery! A package car would qualify!

If your agent is telling you to give up its possible that there is nothing he can do because a grievance was never filed. Here we have 15 days to file a grievance for a discipline case, if not the disipline is held up.

I would contact the NLRB and file a complaint against ups and the union. What is the time frame that we are speaking of here? When were you pulled over? When were you sent home? How long has it been?

Answer these questions and others that have been asked. You came here for help/advice on what to do and we are willing to help, but please explain fully.

drewed

Shankman
Ive been sober for almost 2 days now. It does matter, it matters a whole lot. This kids in a lot of trouble and is going to be a real fight to get his job back. I know he feels like **** about losing his job enough already the fact he has a family makes it even worse. You just seem to add insult to injury .... and you havnt helped him in any way , all you`ve done is go off the subject and given him bad advice about things that you have no knowledge about. at least if he knew you were a 20 year old part timer who has never even driven a package car he may not feel so bad.
Have I given him any advice? The only advice I gave is what Id do in his situation, it sounds like hes been convicted, if he hadnt plead guilty (?) its still pretty much a slam dunk on the side of prosecution, officer on such and such date what happened? I pulled the defendant over after he made an illegal lane change skipping 2 lanes in order to make such and such date.....I asked the defendant if he had been drinking, taking medication etc He said he had been taking prescribed painkillers....I cited him for DUI..............thats a conviction theres no wiggle room in it and an appeal isnt likely. like I said early in the thread he shouldnt get his job back, he was caught in a company vehicle under the influence and if not that he did a blatant and reckless driving manuver.

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?
Have I given him any advice? The only advice I gave is what Id do in his situation, it sounds like hes been convicted, if he hadnt plead guilty (?) its still pretty much a slam dunk on the side of prosecution, officer on such and such date what happened? I pulled the defendant over after he made an illegal lane change skipping 2 lanes in order to make such and such date.....I asked the defendant if he had been drinking, taking medication etc He said he had been taking prescribed painkillers....I cited him for DUI..............thats a conviction theres no wiggle room in it and an appeal isnt likely. like I said early in the thread he shouldnt get his job back, he was caught in a company vehicle under the influence and if not that he did a blatant and reckless driving manuver.

watching CHiPs on TV doesnt make you an officer lawyer or judge ............ speculation ..... you think you know everything.

McLeod

Drewed: Question, when you walk into a room do people tend to move away from you or do they draw near you? I ask this because out of all posters here you seem to be the most outspoken person on here. I'm am getting tired of all your in the face comments. In person you must be the same way. Here is a guy who may have left out all the details, but at the end of the day it is his life, his checkbook not mine! Best of luck Adam getting your life back together, contact your lawyer and move forward and don't waste your time with Drewed!

tieguy

Banned
Im pretty sure that Drewed is a part time sup so dont waste your time or effort answering his stupid questions.

comon UK if the guy posts here and wants to have his but kissed then he should say so. If he wants some hard answers then he needs to be prepared for the hard questions.

Its an interesting story being wove here. I don't know maybe they prescribe drugs of this type without warning you against driving but these little one line answers of his don't appear to be giving honest answers.

vicodine as a narcotic would recieve the standard warning "makes you drowsy do not drive or operate heavy machinery" type warning.

Police can give you a dui if they observe erratic driving which you demonstrated with the old right turn from the far left lane routine.

As far as the case is concerned its hard to say. Its unusual enough where you could play stupid or beg for mercy at the panel and maybe get another shot. Assuming there are no other details you're holding back.

Bad Gas!

Adam,
Your meds should have been used up a week or so after injury.My assumption is(and I have done it) is that you saved a few pills for pain ful days....But I would never think about taking them until home...And in your case, you should have have one pill and no contianer....Next question: are you hooked on painkillers?

By the way, I would hate Drewed as my Sup.I have had enough Drewed's( bad sup's) already in my lifetime...

Just my take: it's going to be really difficult to get your job back from a cardinal sin : driving UPS vehicle DUI....good luck!

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
When a patrol officer pulls you over for a citation, is it legal for him to search through your belongings? I have a feeling you were giving the officer a hard time or that you were acting "loopy". If it was just an illegal lane change they would have ticketed you and you would have been allowed to continue on your way.

I also have a feeling you were speeding to get back to be under 10 hrs and was flying (when you realized the off ramp was coming up) and in view of the officer made that suicidal lane hop.

tieguy

Banned

I think your sympathy is commendable. What you forget is your wife or children could be killed by an impaired driver if we just look the other way when someone drives a large vehicle under the influence of a narcotic.
There is a legitimate reason why we have these laws and why UPS takes the position it does.

drewed

Shankman
Adam,
Your meds should have been used up a week or so after injury.My assumption is(and I have done it) is that you saved a few pills for pain ful days....But I would never think about taking them until home...And in your case, you should have have one pill and no contianer....Next question: are you hooked on painkillers?

By the way, I would hate Drewed as my Sup.I have had enough Drewed's( bad sup's) already in my lifetime...

Just my take: it's going to be really difficult to get your job back from a cardinal sin : driving UPS vehicle DUI....good luck!

Theres no correlation between my atittude on here, how I am in real life, and my supervising abilities.

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?

Officer did you advise him of his rights ?
Did you administer a field sobriorty test
was this racial profiling ?
for What reason did you search his truck?
Was the defendant given a blood or alcahol test within 2 hours of being detained.

A UPS Doctor put him on the meds and released him back to full duty ..... So should he have been fired for not working as directed if he refused to get behind the wheel ?

C`mon

drewed

Shankman
When a patrol officer pulls you over for a citation, is it legal for him to search through your belongings? I have a feeling you were giving the officer a hard time or that you were acting "loopy". If it was just an illegal lane change they would have ticketed you and you would have been allowed to continue on your way.

I also have a feeling you were speeding to get back to be under 10 hrs and was flying (when you realized the off ramp was coming up) and in view of the officer made that suicidal lane hop.

If it were a private vehicle I think the arguement on that would be stronger....it being a commercial vehicle I think it would be a lot harder to argue that it was an illegal search

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?
I think your sympathy is commendable. What you forget is your wife or children could be killed by an impaired driver if we just look the other way when someone drives a large vehicle under the influence of a narcotic.
There is a legitimate reason why we have these laws and why UPS takes the position it does.

Your right Tie.
It does depend on the amount of meds he was on though, and if the UPS doctor released him back to full duty and his center team knew they should at least put him back in the Hub If what he says is true of course. Im taking him on his word until proven different

drewed

Shankman
Officer did you advise him of his rights ?
Did you administer a field sobriorty test
was this racial profiling ?
for What reason did you search his truck?
Was the defendant given a blood or alcahol test within 2 hours of being detained.

A UPS Doctor put him on the meds and released him back to full duty ..... So should he have been fired for not working as directed if he refused to get behind the wheel ?

C`mon

Thats a bit of stretch even for you on the first couple

If he had admitted to the officer that he took pills, could be argued he had probable cause and we cant forget its a company vehicle and could be under different laws then a personal vehicle

And that would be the issue with the DR and not the company or the union

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Vicodin?! No doctor in his right mind would tell you it's ok to drive on vicodin. Your lucky all you got was a DUI.

If (and that is a BIG if) you get your job back you would be wise to run the straight and narrow for the rest of you career.