Ups better wakeup...shippers are bailing.

I'm still waiting for Amazon to bail. Weren't they supposed to bail already? I mean its been foretold here numerous times this year so its going to happen for sure right??
I think its just a matter of time before they do. I've seen more and more of their stuff delivered by couriers and some customers are saying they are getting their stuff the same day they order it.

UPSGUY72

Send us the 2nd and 3rd ballots so we can vote NO and legally gain the right to strike.

I hope we lose more business. Screw Hoffa and all of you pro-company gutless cowards!

So your going to call a wildcat strike at your building ?? Because that is the only way there is going to be a strike. There is not a chance your local is going to call a strike the national agreement has been ratified as a whole the strike threat that was never doesn't exist.

stink219

Send us the 2nd and 3rd ballots so we can vote NO and legally gain the right to strike.

I hope we lose more business. Screw Hoffa and all of you pro-company gutless cowards!
Yeah because the success of strikes in the past 12 years have been amazing? You think that's the answer? You don't think that companies now prepare for this? UPS has been preparing for it since 97.

stink219

So your going to call a wildcat strike at your building ?? Because that is the only way there is going to be a strike. There is not a chance your local is going to call a strike the national agreement has been ratified as a whole the strike threat that was never doesn't exist.
His local cant call a strike anyway. International bylaws state that the negotiating committee will have the authority to call it. Hoffa SUX couldn't strike a match.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Shippers going with other couriers and same day services has nothing to do with our labor agreement. It's the boom of the internet industry and there's a lot of scratch to be made. These same day services only work locally usually in large cities. WalMart and Amazon have been testing same day services in major cities. Most of the smaller companies will wind up getting absorbed anyway because the logistics of doing that kind of business is rather mind boggling unless you're in a dense area. Even then, places like NY, LA, Chi, and Seattle would have a bitch of a time getting stuff done because of traffic and fuel costs. Our volume is down here, but that's mainly because a lot of volume has been diverted to Portland. I'm sure it's the same in other areas where they've expanded their hubs.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Shippers going with other couriers and same day services has nothing to do with our labor agreement. It's the boom of the internet industry and there's a lot of scratch to be made. These same day services only work locally usually in large cities. WalMart and Amazon have been testing same day services in major cities. Most of the smaller companies will wind up getting absorbed anyway because the logistics of doing that kind of business is rather mind boggling unless you're in a dense area. Even then, places like NY, LA, Chi, and Seattle would have a bitch of a time getting stuff done because of traffic and fuel costs. Our volume is down here, but that's mainly because a lot of volume has been diverted to Portland. I'm sure it's the same in other areas where they've expanded their hubs.

Yep. We have just started to scratch the surface of Internet shopping also. Just because we use to have 99% of all ground volume and now we have 70% or whatever it is. Doesn't mean we have failed. There's simply way more volume than there use to be. There's plenty of room for 2 major shippers and in another 15-20 years I wouldn't be surprised at all to see a 3rd major shipper.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Yep. We have just started to scratch the surface of Internet shopping also. Just because we use to have 99% of all ground volume and now we have 70% or whatever it is. Doesn't mean we have failed. There's simply way more volume than there use to be. There's plenty of room for 2 major shippers and in another 15-20 years I wouldn't be surprised at all to see a 3rd major shipper.
way more volume, same amount of routes....wait, we did get the keyless entry which has saved soooo much time out there..so the route cutting is justifiable..my bad.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

When you say shipper, do you mean like Amazon
or do you mean carriers like UPS and FedEx?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

When you say shipper, do you mean like Amazon
or do you mean carriers like UPS and FedEx?

Carrier sorry. Made the same mistake we get mad at customers for making. Lol

Returntosender

3d printers might be responsible for some decrease in volume. Some dentists now make bridges in house. Fastnel, Grainger brackets can be made at the job site.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
3D printers won't have as much of an impact yet until it hits critical mass. I do believe every house will have a 3d printer in the next 20 years. But that just means that UPS and the others will be shipping printing material instead of products. It takes a lot of material to print out something as simple as a vase and it's far from cost effective. And as far as dentures and bridges and crowns go, yeah...the dental technician industry is dying now because of 3d printing and in house milling of crowns. They're ugly as hell since the material isn't translucent so it's only good for molars. But there's going to be lots of tech shops closing and only the great artists will survive because of the need for purdy teeth up front. Machines don't mill anterior teeth too well.

How Now Brown Cow

I'm still waiting for Amazon to bail. Weren't they supposed to bail already? I mean its been foretold here numerous times this year so its going to happen for sure right??

Last week at our PCM we were told that Amazon will switch carriers if we don't vote yes on our local agreement. And if that happened they would have to lay off 1/3rd of the work force:yapyapyapf:
i just rolled my eyes and went to work:rolleyes2:

Overpaid Union Thug

Last week at our PCM we were told that Amazon will switch carriers if we don't vote yes on our local agreement. And if that happened they would have to lay off 1/3rd of the work force:yapyapyapf:
i just rolled my eyes and went to work:rolleyes2:

Well, if they were to switch that really would happen. My comment was actually mean to be sarcastic though because we've heard this rumor plenty of times over the last 8 months. The first was just before peak ended. Amazon was supposed to start using other shippers right after the new year.