UPS Chief Executive Gets Raise

satellitedriver

I am not educated enough in the ways of corporate finance to offer an opinion on whether or not Davis is fairly paid.

Nor, I.
People that do not drive for UPS think the same way about those of us who do.
They see the money, not the work involved.
I am of the old school working mans mentality,
a fairs days work, for a fair days pay.
After meeting, associating and being related to people that have a net worth of over $100 million,
I have witnessed that the truisms are true.
Money is just a way of keeping score, when you are at that level.
Money does not make you smart.
Money does not buy you friends.
Money does not buy you happiness.
I will never spite anyone for their good fortune, if they made it honestly,
but,
I would not trade one second of my life, for a year of theirs.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I bet we could raise 10 million to watch him be a driver for a month, I would pay money to see that, anyone else?
I find it of great interest that everyone can run a huge company better than the people that do.

Every year, there are people that start and run a business successfully. With so many experts on how Scott can do so much better, why are there not more of you out doing it?

Running a business is harder than it appears.

d

pretzel_man

So, does everyone want to sign up for the Scott Davis method of compensation?

Well paid, but paid less than counterparts in other organizations....

80+% of your compensation in "Restricted stock awards"...

Your personal wealth dependent on the long term growth in company stock.

If Scott Davis can increase the value of UPS stock by $1, he generated $1B worth of wealth.

I don't really know if he is worth $10M, but I could care less if he ever drove a package car.

His job is to create long-term wealth.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
My quick calculation says Scott gets paid $42,460 per working day.

Is this a fair days pay for what he does?

If his actions, guidance and leadership cause the stock to to be higher in value by $1 then the ROI for his salary is 90000 %.
I don't know of any driver providing a ROI for their wages that will even return 200%.
Just saying.

If Scott Davis can increase the value of UPS stock by $1, he generated $1B worth of wealth.

I don't really know if he is worth $10M, but I could care less if he ever drove a package car.

His job is to make sure this company is doing the right thing in every aspect imaginable. That's what his job is and he is failing miserably. All you managers that got froze out and had your health care premiums bumped up should be OUTRAGED that he and the rest of the executives in Atlanta got a 50%+ raise while you got squat. Forget the stock price, lets see how he moves the stock in a niche bear market, not one of the greatest bull markets in recent history. I don't care if he drove a truck either. What I would like to know is if he has the company and customers in his best interest or his golden parachute (his "long term wealth") after he overworks operations to the point of critical mass. I think anyone here who actually works in operations can tell you which one it is rather quickly.

What we have at UPS right now is a company that is doing 250mph in a school zone and it's just a simple matter of time. The company is engaging in a wide array of illegal and unethical practices and it seems like their business plan revolves solely around a few key strategies: A) screwing employees out of money/salary/benefits/etc. B) screwing the customer by putting impossible, unsafe and unsustainable amounts of work on hourly employees. C) absolute and infinite gross breach of contract. The upper management at UPS are a pack of cannibalistic frauds that deserve to spend quite a few years in jail.

Last edited:

I respect your posts but..........please define creating long-term wealth. UPS stock price at close of day: 11/08/1999 = $70.50 - 3/18/2011 = $71.60
One hundred and ten pennies in 11 1/2 years is not long term wealth.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I respect your posts but..........please define creating long-term wealth. UPS stock price at close of day: 11/08/1999 = $70.50 - 3/18/2011 = $71.60
One hundred and ten pennies in 11 1/2 years is not long term wealth.

Stock gain is more than just the closing price on two separate days within a given period of time. I would be curious to see what the gain would have been with the dividends factored in during your example time period on, say, 1000 shares. I have a feeling that it would have been substantial.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It is for people who paid nothing for their stock.............

I beg to differ--they "paid" by accepting a reduced salary in exchange for stock considerations. Our CEO is underpaid in relation to CEO's of other Fortune 500 companies (not that we need to hold a bake sale for him) in part due to the portion of his compensation package that is in stock.

Stock gain is more than just the closing price on two separate days within a given period of time. I would be curious to see what the gain would have been with the dividends factored in during your example time period on, say, 1000 shares. I have a feeling that it would have been substantial.

Technically you only have to own UPS stock 4 days during the year to receive the dividends. Also here are a few other companies with their basic stock price and qtrly divs: Verizon 36 bucks .49cent div / First Energy 36 bucks .55 cent div / Amerigas 45bucks .71cent div.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Technically you only have to own UPS stock 4 days during the year to receive the dividends. Also here are a few other companies with their basic stock price and qtrly divs: Verizon 36 bucks .49cent div / First Energy 36 bucks .55 cent div / Amerigas 45bucks .71cent div.

OK--but we can agree that owning a dividend stock provides gains beyond the closing price.

BTW, I don't own any UPS stock and I don't believe any of my 401k investments are in UPS stock.

OK--but we can agree that owning a dividend stock provides gains beyond the closing price.

BTW, I don't own any UPS stock and I don't believe any of my 401k investments are in UPS stock.
If any of your investments mirror the S&P 500 then you do own UPS stock as well as FEDEX stock. With dividends come consequences...taxes.

moreluck

golden ticket member

Yes, but everytime you buy & sell, there are fees and tax consequences......