UPS completely shut down in Seattle

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We have a town up here that used to be a iron ore mining community. They do a very good job in plowing their roads but, rather than using salt or sand, they use the dirt left over from the mining operations on the roads. To be fair, while it is not as good as either salt or sand, the iron ore dirt does a fairly good job of melting the snow/ice on the roads. The best part is that it is free as there are piles all around the former mine.

wescaddle

Dannyboy, here is the tracking information....I'm not really interested in providing you with my tracking number...it would seem there are some extremely hostile UPS workers on this message board and I'm not sure I would want them to have my address....

Date Time Location Event Details
December 26, 2008 05:29:00 PM SEATTLE WA US Arrival Scan
December 23, 2008 12:06:00 PM SEATTLE WA US Arrival Scan
December 23, 2008 06:44:00 AM SEATTLE WA US Arrival Scan
December 17, 2008 09:40:00 PM PORTLAND OR US Arrival Scan
December 17, 2008 09:30:00 PM PORTLAND OR US Departure Scan
December 17, 2008 05:30:00 PM PORTLAND OR US Arrival Scan
December 17, 2008 03:48:00 PM DES MOINES IA US Departure Scan
December 17, 2008 10:58:00 AM DES MOINES IA US Arrival Scan
December 17, 2008 09:07:00 AM PHILADELPHIA PA US Departure Scan
December 16, 2008 11:12:00 PM PHILADELPHIA PA US Arrival Scan
December 16, 2008 07:39:00 PM HARRISBURG PA US Departure Scan
December 16, 2008 03:02:00 PM HARRISBURG PA US Shipment received by carrier
December 16, 2008 11:35:23 AM US Shipment has left seller facility and is in transit

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Dear Concerned UPS customer

Please listen to me. I said the
tracking Numbers
What you posted is the tracking info, which is totally worthless without the numbers.

So please, post the actual info we are asking for, not what you think we might want.

Thankyou

d

wescaddle

Here is the other one we are waiting on...the third one was delivered this afternoon....

Date Time Location Event Details
December 26, 2008 05:38:00 PM SEATTLE WA US Arrival Scan
December 24, 2008 02:36:00 AM SEATTLE WA US Arrival Scan
December 24, 2008 12:32:00 AM SEATTLE WA US Arrival Scan
December 23, 2008 07:45:00 PM HERMISTON OR US Departure Scan
December 23, 2008 04:36:00 PM HERMISTON OR US Arrival Scan
December 23, 2008 04:04:00 AM SALT LAKE CITY UT US Departure Scan
December 22, 2008 11:27:00 PM SALT LAKE CITY UT US Arrival Scan
December 22, 2008 07:12:00 AM PHOENIX AZ US Departure Scan
December 20, 2008 12:18:00 AM PHOENIX AZ US Arrival Scan
December 19, 2008 10:45:00 PM TEMPE AZ US Departure Scan
December 19, 2008 08:03:00 PM TEMPE AZ US Shipment received by carrier
December 19, 2008 12:54:50 AM US Shipment has left seller facility and is in transit

wescaddle

dannyboy, maybe you didn't read my post. Let me say it again... I will not post my tracking numbers here, because based on what I have seen from the users of this forum, I feel there is a good chance I might NEVER get my packages if a few of you got a hold of the tracking numbers.

I am certain that the VAST MAJORITY of UPS workers are not as bitter and rude as the few posters in this thread are, so I take solace in that.

BTW- dannyboy, can you tell me specifically what information you could provide me that UPS Customer service and the UPS website can't if I were to PM you my tracking numbers?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

d, he is concerned that his posting of the tracking number may allow someone here to get his home address. Perhaps he can PM the tracking number to you so that you can assist him.

UPSNewbie

Is it common practice to list addresses on the tracking info? Every single one of my tracking numbers, under 'send to' say BROKEN ARROW, OK. No address.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
UPS was completely caught off guard in Seattle the last 2 weeks. We received a pretty good snowfall here (for Seattle anyway), and since the snow (which is long since melted away) most residents in Seattle have still not received ANY of the packages that have been shipped to them in the last few weeks. FedEx and USPS both have had excellent service during this storm, but UPS is completely shut down. Most of us have packages that show being scanned into Seattle somewhere around the 17th or 18th and they are still not delivered. Many of my children's Christmas gifts still sit in a warehouse somewhere here in Seattle, nearly two weeks after arriving.

I must admit, until this point I had always had great service from UPS, and I just can't figure out why they had such a break down. Anyone have any thoughts?

PS- You can read some of the problems on a local Seattle Blog here:

http://westseattleblog.com/blog/?p=13170

Not being from your area, I'd be foolish to give my opinion on when and where and how. That being said, why not just wait patiently? I mean, your area may not have snow, anymore, but that doesn't untangle the mess that the snow made in the first place.

Barring you're waiting on a kidney or a heart, I'd just say wait patiently till the pkg/pkgs arrive. I mean, what else can you do? Sorry for the bashing you've received from your postings. Hope you'll spend some time here at the Brown Cafe reading through the threads and coming to a different conclusion than you may have drawn thus far.

DS

Fenderbender
I'm not really interested in providing you with my tracking number...it would seem there are some extremely hostile UPS workers on this message board and I'm not sure I would want them to have my address....
Remember the tired looking ups driver? We know where you live:)

old brown shoe

30 year driver
Wes Belive me we don't want your package and would love nothing more than getting it to you and all the others that get backed up when the weather throws us a curve ball. Peak season at UPS is hard enough when the weather cooperates, with everyone working max hours. Nothing feels better than seeing the smiling faces when christmas arrives at someones door step on time. None of us enjoy showing up with a late package anytime of year. A town as large as Seattle gets hundreds of thousands of packages a day and if they back up a day or two with bad roads it is the worse case scenario. Some of us are still working very long hours with deep snow and blowing wind doing the best we can to get every package deliverd every day. Hope yours shows up soon and you don't hold it against us. Happy New year!:peaceful:

10thLetter

Questions: Is new volume getting priority over volume held "due to weather". Is the held volume in the trailers just being added in bit-by-bit to the new volume as they have room?
My "old" understanding of PAS is that it only holds package information for around 3-7 days before it dumps 1Z info. Wouldn't the "held" volume be past this now and what kind of problems will that cause?
I am in the same boat as WesCaddle (West Seattle) and have been waiting patiently for all my packages to arrive.
For the Record, UPS beat Fedex to the house with my first package and thanks to Fedex for delivering my "Ice melt" today. I could have used it 10 days ago when it was supposed to have arrived.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I can not respond to how those in Seattle are doing things, but during the last storm we had where we missed deliveries, it was all added into the daily deliveries. It was left up to the driver as to what got delivered and what got left to the next day.

Business stops take priority, with the air services taking first priority.

Then comes the resi air.

And for most drivers if given the option, any christmas present that might still be in the system gets priority handling.

So while we can and do screw up deliveries, there is not one of us here that would not do everything we can within reason to get the packages delivered on time. Its a personal thing. Even with those that have forum names that might lead you to believe different.

I hope that helps.

d

UPS SUCKS425

Aww...I suppose an employee that can't handle the truth and won't take responsibility and can't handle criticism. That’s OK I'm quite use to your companies childish excuses and responses. Here is a good quote to remember "don't underestimate the man on the other side of the table" continue to insult and take no responsibility it just proves my personal experience and will result in my business removing you as a vendor.

YOU were beaten by the USPS that UPS states they are so much better than. The blame is not at the individuals that are busting there butts to recover from. I just stated the facts as I have experienced them. YOU can’t change that. The questions I would ask as a UPS employee would be: Was my management prepared, was my management there bleeding with me? 99% of failures are a result of poor management and/or poor contingency plans. “If” UPS is stating they had no major winter storm plan then that is POOR management NOT poor employees responsible for carrying out poor management planning.

I not once said YOU or any single individual was at fault. I used UPS as a whole, if you want to take your frustrations out on an already frustrated customer so be it. Its funny your response is one of arrogance and belittlement of an end customer, not how you as an employee (if you are one) can ensure this type of situation is minimized or does not occur again. It’s OK I’m use to employee excuses on how they can't accomplish something and not figuring out how to overcome an obstacle.

UPS is stating they had no major winter storm plan then that is POOR management

What was Seattle's, Renton's, Redmond's, Bellevue's winter storm plan? Nothing they never have one. Do you want ups to plow the roads? What do you think ups should have done? Where I am, we had about 20 inches of snow, and I haven't had any problems this year. When I dove in Seattle for 10 years the snow has always been a problem.

wescaddle

UPS is stating they had no major winter storm plan then that is POOR management

What was Seattle's, Renton's, Redmond's, Bellevue's winter storm plan? Nothing they never have one. Do you want ups to plow the roads? What do you think ups should have done? Where I am, we had about 20 inches of snow, and I haven't had any problems this year. When I dove in Seattle for 10 years the snow has always been a problem.

1989, agreed! Seattle is a disaster when it snows. It is a rare event here and we are terribly unprepared and unaccustomed to it. That being said, what is it that could have been handled better so that now, 4 days after the roads are dry, people are still not seeing things that arrived in the Seattle UPS distribution center on December 23rd.