UPS contract hurts or helps FedEx?

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
The new CFO’s salary is reportedly $1 million plus an additional 200K in incentives. Ah yes, “maximum money-saving mode” indeed. Even if the argument is, and I’m sure it is, that his “expertise” in finance will ultimately save the company money (spoiler alert: highly unlikely), you cannot justify or reconcile that kind of compensation package with a so called company-wide, cost-savings initiative. FedEx is run by imbeciles who say one thing, yet do the opposite when it benefits themselves.
How much should a CFO with that kind of expertise make for a company of this size?

bacha29

I think what stands out here first and foremost is the contrasting strategies between the two companies when it comes to their paths forward.
One one side you have UPS with it's "damn the torpedoes full steam ahead" approach.
On the other side (FDX) you have this tepid, apprehensive. lukewarm, penny pinching way they do things.
The difference will obviously be seem in the quality of the service and who makes the biggest gains in market share.

zeev

Giving big money to outsiders is a true sign of a failing company, example: Sears, GE, KMart. Bleeding the company out before the collapse. You really think an outsider knows more than the executives they already have.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
I think what stands out here first and foremost is the contrasting strategies between the two companies when it comes to their paths forward.
One one side you have UPS with it's "damn the torpedoes full steam ahead" approach.
On the other side (FDX) you have this tepid, apprehensive. lukewarm, penny pinching way they do things.
The difference will obviously be seem in the quality of the service and who makes the biggest gains in market share.
It's because FedEx hired too many failed managers that couldn't hack it at UPS.

fdxsux

Fedex only pinches pennies when it comes to hourly compensation. They spend way too much on almost everything else. UPS is just the opposite. They spends lots on their employees and are very frugal with everything else.

Slowturtle

How much should a CFO with that kind of expertise make for a company of this size?
$150,000 plus some modest stock options regardless of “expertise” .. I’d rather see a contracted small group of experts come in for 2 months make $500,000 than rely on 1 supreme being..

59 Dano

$150,000 plus some modest stock options regardless of “expertise”
ROTFLMAO

$150k is for someone who might not have any type of grad degree or professional certification and who has only worked for small companies with small geographic and business footprints. Not sure you want that guy running the finances of your multibillion dollar global company, all the while giving him an incentive (stock options) to go crazy with cuts.

Slowturtle

ROTFLMAO

$150k is for someone who might not have any type of grad degree or professional certification and who has only worked for small companies with small geographic and business footprints. Not sure you want that guy running the finances of your multibillion dollar global company, all the while giving him an incentive (stock options) to go crazy with cuts.
I don’t know the current guy authorized a 5 billion dollar stock buy back.. which we know does zero for the company.. it doesn’t buy planes it doesn’t raise moral it doesn’t bring technology or employees it does reward large shareholders such as himself, but hey let’s keep him in this billion dollar fiasco company(didn’t he sign off on the TNT deal?) UPS with their larger profits stronger bottom line only authorized a billion dollars of wasted funds on stock repurchase. Thus bottom line he’s not worth his pay. ROFLMAO

59 Dano

I don’t know the current guy authorized a 5 billion dollar stock buy back.. which we know does zero for the company.. it doesn’t buy planes it doesn’t raise moral it doesn’t bring technology or employees it does reward large shareholders such as himself, but hey let’s keep him in this billion dollar fiasco company(didn’t he sign off on the TNT deal?) UPS with their larger profits stronger bottom line only authorized a billion dollars of wasted funds on stock repurchase. Thus bottom line he’s not worth his pay. ROFLMAO
Summary: one guy was here when there was a stock buyback so no one should pay a CFO and UPS did something. Planes, moral. They should pay a guy what a sub-$100M company pays a guy.

yadig

ROTFLMAO

OMG!! you really put these people on a pedestal! Just give it all to them already, what would we do without them? Get back to licking them boots as the company is sinking! Lol

59 Dano

OMG!! you really put these people on a pedestal! Just give it all to them already, what would we do without them? Get back to licking them boots as the company is sinking! Lol
Settle down, boy. Grown up issues are being discussed.

Aquaman

The difference really comes down to the fact that UPS is a smarter company. That company has always been better integrated and connected than FedEx. They seem to steadily plow ahead through everything where FedEx has a knee jerk reaction to every single economic swing. They place incredible value on their drivers and in return expect damn near perfection. FedEx has prioritized lying and stalling for decades about pay, to try to trap the dumber drivers into staying long term. The 2 companies couldn’t be more different. I’m personally tired of hearing about UPS… They’re superior. I get it.

Commercial Inside Release

FedEx might know something we don't, so there may be a good reason to pinch pennies.

UPS has been getting closer to pricing themselves out of the market, and now they'll probably be hiking prices for some time.

I could see a network of EV driving gig workers, transporting small bulk parcels to drop-off locations like Walmart, Target, Family Dollar, Dollar General, etc and seriously undercutting UPS.