UPS contract hurts or helps FedEx?

El Morado Diablo

I KNOW, RIGHT????

I used to ask the "all you have to do is ask any driver" people for their input on local issues. I can only imagine that kind of insanity at the national level.

Some managers are known to pull this stunt in meetings to shut down real discussion. We all know there are people in every work group that have no idea what they are talking about. If you don't let them express themselves you cause resentment because they feel they aren't being heard. So these managers move on and table the discussion and little to nothing is done about whatever the local issue is.

The only opinion FedEx has asked for during my employment was how I felt about wearing street clothes with a company vest instead of a uniform. :sick:

bbsam

Staff member
It was less than a year ago that the BC Ground Experts were all but guaranteeing that the Ground network would collapse by Christmas due to a combination of contractor protests, an unprecedented surge of volume, and a mass exodus of contractors.

It might surprise you just how much Pittsburgh and Memphis spent to keep that from happening. The amount spent in contingency was incredible. They made a loud and forceful announcement that they wouldn’t do that again.

Fact is they are doing it. Not nearly as much right now. And if contractor protests have gone silent, to a large extent it’s because of ERC infusions of cash keeping the operation afloat or they’ve decided that it’s not worth it and are walking away.

But if you think this network is stable…lol. It isn’t. It won’t be. I don’t know how they want things to work but I can’t believe that a constant turnover at the driver and contractor level will remain profitable for it.

zeev

Ground network is getting desperate to keep contractors there is a flood of used trucks for sale . Spence Patton just had his dog and poney show in Vegas. He had Kevin O’Leary from shark tank to impress the contractors. Tell me there is not big money in this route trading. He probably gave a rah rah speech about achieving your dreams. But I know he wouldn’t buy into a business with short life trucks and under paid drivers, run by a company that is bailing out of it’s own package delivery system.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Some managers are known to pull this stunt in meetings to shut down real discussion. We all know there are people in every work group that have no idea what they are talking about. If you don't let them express themselves you cause resentment because they feel they aren't being heard. So these managers move on and table the discussion and little to nothing is done about whatever the local issue is.

The only opinion FedEx has asked for during my employment was how I felt about wearing street clothes with a company vest instead of a uniform. :sick:
I openly solicited input from employees, especially those who thought they had all the answers. Most employees have ideas that aren't good. It's not necessarily because they can't come up with good ideas, or they're stupid, but that they don't think beyond what they observe with their own two eyes.

For example, we have P1 lates in an area. How do we solve that? The immediate answer is bring someone in to run a baseline route. We can ignore the first rule of overflow help (they always get abused by the people they're helping) and dig a little deeper. You've got three couriers in that area running standalones and finishing P1's by 1015 or a couple of minutes after. We can often move some stops around and quit the standalones and take care of it that way.

It makes the routes more efficient, it prevents more unproductive stem time, it keeps a truck free if your station is short trucks, it doesn't hit your P/FTE, it preserves SPH, it preserves onroad hours for when you really need them, and it preserves your general labor hours. Most people don't think about that kind of stuff, and many don't care.

59 Dano

It might surprise you just how much Pittsburgh and Memphis spent to keep that from happening. The amount spent in contingency was incredible. They made a loud and forceful announcement that they wouldn’t do that again.

Fact is they are doing it. Not nearly as much right now. And if contractor protests have gone silent, to a large extent it’s because of ERC infusions of cash keeping the operation afloat or they’ve decided that it’s not worth it and are walking away.

But if you think this network is stable…lol. It isn’t. It won’t be. I don’t know how they want things to work but I can’t believe that a constant turnover at the driver and contractor level will remain profitable for it.

I know, I know. Things are really bad and going to fall apart. Again.

Gone fishin

I openly solicited input from employees, especially those who thought they had all the answers. Most employees have ideas that aren't good. It's not necessarily because they can't come up with good ideas, or they're stupid, but that they don't think beyond what they observe with their own two eyes.

For example, we have P1 lates in an area. How do we solve that? The immediate answer is bring someone in to run a baseline route. We can ignore the first rule of overflow help (they always get abused by the people they're helping) and dig a little deeper. You've got three couriers in that area running standalones and finishing P1's by 1015 or a couple of minutes after. We can often move some stops around and quit the standalones and take care of it that way.

It makes the routes more efficient, it prevents more unproductive stem time, it keeps a truck free if your station is short trucks, it doesn't hit your P/FTE, it preserves SPH, it preserves onroad hours for when you really need them, and it preserves your general labor hours. Most people don't think about that kind of stuff, and many don't care.
The answer is pay better wages , fire the weak. Fedex gets the bottom feeders

MAKAVELI

Most managers don't think about that kind of stuff and most don't care. They rather run reports and let the computer do the job for them.

What'dyabringmetoday???

Sounds like you are a real forward thinking individual. FedEx will likely fail without you.

bacha29

Exactly, I think it's going to totally work.
Most people just want their :censored2:.
The only reason they freak out if it's late is the price.

The very few crucial time commits could be handled by small groups of part timers 🤣
It would appear that this is how it's going to work.
FDX will still be around for awhile The trouble is it's never going to be America's premier small package carrier. It will be a second or third tier discount carrier. Contractors will continue to be pressured to place even more borrowed money at risk just to buy the fastest depreciating piece of equipment known to the US economy along with a 1 year contract that provides the contractor and his equity participation with zero protection.

The condition will only go on until neither the contractor nor the guys who work for them are willing to accept those terms and the driver pay it has to offer.

While the new UPS/IBT contract is expensive if I had to place a bet on which one UPS or Fedex will gain market share in the days ahead I would put my money down on UPS.

59 Dano

Most managers don't think about that kind of stuff and most don't care. They rather run reports and let the computer do the job for them.
Really, why would they care about any of that? They only hear about it all the time.

FedupExpress

Ran into a UPS driver this morning, he said the new contract was bull:censored2:, they are not happy, and it's not over.

He also said a strike was not possible because they would lose many customers.

Slowturtle

Ran into a UPS driver this morning, he said the new contract was bull:censored2:, they are not happy, and it's not over.

He also said a strike was not possible because they would lose many customers.
Heard the same.. congratulated one ups driver on the contract and he said most weren’t happy with the $49 .. my jaw hit the floor

Fisher24/7

Depends on who you ask. The board is always tight-lipped about raises and they don't let stuff slip.

You can look at it two ways. They won't give raises because they're in maximum money saving mode. Or, they will give raises because less reliance on hourly bodies frees up more money for the rest.
The new CFO’s salary is reportedly $1 million plus an additional 200K in incentives. Ah yes, “maximum money-saving mode” indeed. Even if the argument is, and I’m sure it is, that his “expertise” in finance will ultimately save the company money (spoiler alert: highly unlikely), you cannot justify or reconcile that kind of compensation package with a so called company-wide, cost-savings initiative. FedEx is run by imbeciles who say one thing, yet do the opposite when it benefits themselves.

dezguy

The new CFO’s salary is reportedly $1 million plus an additional 200K in incentives. Ah yes, “maximum money-saving mode” indeed. Even if the argument is, and I’m sure it is, that his “expertise” in finance will ultimately save the company money (spoiler alert: highly unlikely), you cannot justify or reconcile that kind of compensation package with a so called company-wide, cost-savings initiative. FedEx is run by imbeciles who say one thing, yet do the opposite when it benefits themselves.
Welcome to the corporate world?

Take a look around. FedEx isn't the only company that does this. Not saying it's right but it goes on at every big company.

Fisher24/7

Welcome to the corporate world?

Take a look around. FedEx isn't the only company that does this. Not saying it's right but it goes on at every big company.
Of course, my only point is that paying such a wage during a time of supposed fiscal responsibility is laughable & it deserves criticism.

bacha29

Heard the same.. congratulated one ups driver on the contract and he said most weren’t happy with the $49 .. my jaw hit the floor
Even if the FXG contractor were to give his route driver literally every cent of money the route makes he still couldn't get within artillery range of what that UPS driver makes.