UPS contract hurts or helps FedEx?

Gone fishin

Many people (including myself) believe that FedEx "can't keep workers."

But is that really true? And if it is true, FedEx is obviously OK with that.

Otherwise, they'd treat their people better and stop being such meanies. Right?

If Amazon can find enough luckless stooges to work in their warehouses and deliver, then FedEx can too.

Or maybe there really isn't such a "labor shortage" that the plasticky politicians and their lap-dog news media keeps telling us.
I’m at express and we can’t hire enough right now. Doubles are run everyday. Ground is ….well , ground

Mutineer

I’m at express and we can’t hire enough right now. Doubles are run everyday. Ground is ….well , ground

I am friends with a Ground contractor in California and he has no trouble finding meat to put in the seat.

The turnover is a problem.

I think that differences in observations and experiences are due to regional circumstances.

Gone fishin

Are you in a capacity to hire people?

Or is: "we can't hire enough right now" simply what a management critter is telling you?
Our area has a lot of available jobs , kids just don’t like manual work anymore. We haven’t been full staff in years. Plus the words out on Express and ground

FedupExpress

I think that is exactly the plan, and FedEx is OK with being embarrassing and unreliable.

Otherwise the great, ponderous heads would've made different decisions.
100% they know it's all downhill, so let's take these chumps for all we got.

The old "take them to hell with me".

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Some other ways is , go hard merging , making everyone employees and getting back to being a great delivery company.
Reason 1 , because the company is turning into an embarrassment going to contractors and unreliable service.
Reason 2 , there’s a real shot at being number one delivery company. UPS drivers got a great financial contract , that said they just added over 2 billion in wages. They are going to have to increase shipping cost double digits to keep up.
Customers will beg fedex to have them if the company becomes reliable and professional again. We can stay cheaper and raise our wages

Hard to give up on an idea when you're convinced you'll prosper from it, no matter how silly it is.

59 Dano

I’d start either west or the east. Build my hubs , acquire 900 ‘s and slowly merge , making the promise that contractors can either go into management or we’ll buy his equipment. Drivers can go right in to an employee role.
At the end of the day profits would soar after the country is complete. Quality drivers who care , I’m not saying 50 an hour, but upper 30’s.
So much wisdom during the AM sort, it's a shame it never goes any further than the AM sort.

bacha29

" We're going to hell in a handbasket....but at least we're enjoying the ride"....Grateful Dead.

Seriously, I just can't see Fedex and it's cobbled together "restructuring" ever becoming the carrier of choice the nation's premier shippers and big volume users of this service. It will be around but most likely a second or third level option for them.

vantexan

" We're going to hell in a handbasket....but at least we're enjoying the ride"....Grateful Dead.

Seriously, I just can't see Fedex and it's cobbled together "restructuring" ever becoming the carrier of choice the nation's premier shippers and big volume users of this service. It will be around but most likely a second or third level option for them.
It does sound a bit like when DHL bought out Airborne. A cobbled together mess that fell apart.

So what you're saying is that UPS has become a freight network that is too expensive to operate successfully while FDX is a freight network that's simply too cheap to operate successfully.

Both are determined to acquire and hold onto a controlling share of the market. Who wins? We'll see in a few years.
I hope FedEx goes out of business.

59 Dano

Exactly , all they have to do is ask any driver. Not that hard
I KNOW, RIGHT????

I used to ask the "all you have to do is ask any driver" people for their input on local issues. I can only imagine that kind of insanity at the national level.

Gone fishin

I KNOW, RIGHT????

I used to ask the "all you have to do is ask any driver" people for their input on local issues. I can only imagine that kind of insanity at the national level.
Yep , fedex would be running smoothly and more profitable than ever with driver input. Point A to point B , quality pay and drivers.
Everyone’s happy

It will be fine

It does sound a bit like when DHL bought out Airborne. A cobbled together mess that fell apart.
Demand for shipping is much higher than when DHL gave it a go. There isn’t excess capacity to handle the 12 million daily domestic shipments FedEx moves. Service will be bad, but if it’s cheap enough plenty of shippers will be fine with 95% of their stuff arriving in time.

FedupExpress

Demand for shipping is much higher than when DHL gave it a go. There isn’t excess capacity to handle the 12 million daily domestic shipments FedEx moves. Service will be bad, but if it’s cheap enough plenty of shippers will be fine with 95% of their stuff arriving in time.
Exactly, I think it's going to totally work.
Most people just want their :censored2:.
The only reason they freak out if it's late is the price.

The very few crucial time commits could be handled by small groups of part timers 🤣