UPS Ditches Signatures for Business Drop-Offs

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
UPS Ditches Signatures for Business Drop-Offs - Bloomberg

A little slice of office life -- signing for packages from the UPS driver -- is starting to disappear. Not that most people will miss it.

United Parcel Service Inc. last year began testing a program called Simplified Commercial Delivery, corporate speak for skipping the signature on office deliveries. Instead, its brown-clad legion of drivers speaks with someone at the business and enters the person’s name into their handheld devices.

bumped

I'm sure there are going to be some shippers that are going to want signatures for their packages. They will now have to pay for the signature required packages. Extra revenue from saving time, and even more revenue from signature packages.

bumped

I have heard that the centers that already have CIR are expecting at least 90% compliance.

Its not hard at all. There are a few times I give the DIAD to sign just because I'm used to doing it. For instance, I'll hand the DIAD to a worker at an overhead door right before I'm closing my back door. After I get the DIAD back I think to myself that I didn't need a signature there.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Its not hard at all. There are a few times I give the DIAD to sign just because I'm used to doing it. For instance, I'll hand the DIAD to a worker at an overhead door right before I'm closing my back door. After I get the DIAD back I think to myself that I didn't need a signature there.

Do you then void the sig and type in the last name?

bumped

I can only imagine going to Walmart and not having them sign for their stuff.

They will be required to have a signature. Walmart, cell Phone stores, and some of the medical shipments will be required to get a signature. Any signature required packages will be required a signature. The system can't identify when a surepost package does not go to a post office, so any surepost delivered to a business will require a signature for that business.

bumped

So you can drop off commercial ground but not Surepost?

If a business was getting only a surepost package that day it would need a signature. If said business received a non signature package you would leave as CIR Commercial Inside Release. If the same business received a surepost and a regular package that stop would require a signature.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
They will be required to have a signature. Walmart, cell Phone stores, and some of the medical shipments will be required to get a signature. Any signature required packages will be required a signature. The system can't identify when a surepost package does not go to a post office, so any surepost delivered to a business will require a signature for that business.
Surepost are shipper release. This makes zero sense.