UPS driver doing a route blind

oldngray

nowhere special
All you rookies may not have a problem with running routes in the blind or covering routes, but give it about 5 years and youll get real sick of it real quick trust me lol.

Before I got my own bid route I was one of the few drivers that always got sent out blind. I once went 14 straight days running 14 different routes. One week of that was 5 routes in 3 different centers and 4 of them blind. I was lucky enough to get my own route after 3 years of garbage.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
When I started pkg driving, I was trained on a route that opened up because of a termination, and I stayed on that same route all 9 years. For whatever reason, They cut my whole route out one day and gave me another. Never been a split or cover driver and had no desire to be one. I even asked to go home. Nope. Well, I was lost all day, and was OTP with the center from about 10am. I DID cover the pickups ok, but deliveries, not so much. They never pulled me off my route again after that.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
When I started pkg driving, I was trained on a route that opened up because of a termination, and I stayed on that same route all 9 years. For whatever reason, They cut my whole route out one day and gave me another. Never been a split or cover driver and had no desire to be one. I even asked to go home. Nope. Well, I was lost all day, and was OTP with the center from about 10am. I DID cover the pickups ok, but deliveries, not so much. They never pulled me off my route again after that.
Exactly, that's how the game works. You blow them up on it and they don't put you on it anymore. Not that hard to put an end to that problem, been there done that lol. Got to know how to play the game, its the dumb ones who keep getting thrown on routes in the blind all the time. AKA the runners, the ones who try to play macho man like they have a point to prove. Those idiots don't understand that your falling right into their mind game trap lol. Those are also the ones who most likely will be yanked off of their bidded routes also.

mdnj88

Here, they only have certain people that they let out on routes blind.

They had one guy go out on three different routes blind consecutively. When I try to bump people on to routes I don't want to do, it's like the end of the world, "WELL HE DOESN'T KNOW THAT ROUTE, IT WILL BE A DISASTER!!!"

"Well, you had this other person out on 3 different routes blind, this person can do it, too."

They throw a huge hissy fit, but I usually get my way if I want it bad enough.

I'm the one who they make go out blind. Then when I try to bump off something I don't want to do, I get the "well he doesn't know that" song and dance.

mdnj88

Exactly, that's how the game works. You blow them up on it and they don't put you on it anymore. Not that hard to put an end to that problem, been there done that lol. Got to know how to play the game, its the dumb ones who keep getting thrown on routes in the blind all the time. AKA the runners, the ones who try to play macho man like they have a point to prove. Those idiots don't understand that your falling right into their mind game trap lol. Those are also the ones who most likely will be yanked off of their bidded routes also.

There is 2 routes in my center that are just absolutely brutal. To many stops to many pickups to much traffic. Anyway I refuse to do this and if forced I just stay out until 10...they never put me on those two!

Overpaid Union Thug

Just wondering if my center manager can send me out on a route blind if I don't want them to. I have done routes with one day of training, but I don't want to start doing them blind because I know that they will start doing that to me all the time.
Does your On Car know the route? If management has a problem with people going out blind then the On Car should jump on board (whether they know the route or not) and train people.They don't call them ON CAR sups for nothing. The center manager can hold down the fort down as far as the reports and conference calls are concerned.

Tiredbrown

Professional box jockey
Wow how things have changed. When I was new you had your book map and the super would say get your air and bulk off and you'll be fine. I remember looking in the back of many package cars and thinking where do I even start. You new guys have no idea what actually running a route blind is.

bumped

So let me guess you've been driving for what, like 20 years. You mean to say you never got a day of training after you made book? Not one?

What do you mean by training? Watching the hazardous video while the answers are given to me. Reciting the DOK questions. I was trained on my training route and the route after the training route. I had never had a supervisor ride with me on any other route I went out blind on. I was told here is your package car and here is your DIAD. I would ask where do I go first and how do I get there. Training is a joke at UPS.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Drivers here want to bid off theirs and become utility drivers. Gravy routes and drive missloads around.
If you have enough seniority you can do that. That's what ive been doing for the most part since I got bidded off my route of 6 years. Highest senior cover driver in my group so im lucky. Thing of it is, if your out there running bulk n misloads or what have ya, you better be productive out there n not be out there bulljiving killing time. Their weird about that stuff. A lot of times they don't just want anyone doing that stuff, they want somebody they don't have to babysit n will go out there n find the work without them having to hold your hand. That's why they always let me do it. Ill always find misloads or sweeping pickups to get my time in n then some but cleaning everything up at the same time. Ill play their game to get an easy day. All bout playing the JEDI MIND TRICK on these idiots lol. Easy money lol.

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
Just wondering if my center manager can send me out on a route blind if I don't want them to. I have done routes with one day of training, but I don't want to start doing them blind because I know that they will start doing that to me all the time.
Go out on the blind, send over 12 message. They will freak. Back when I was cover I used to do it all the time. You want to send me out on the blind fine, don't expect a good paid day.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
I was a FT swing driver for a long time before I bid. They would always send me out blind, sometimes a different route every day. Eventually you learn most of the routes in the center that it doesn't bother you as much. When I started, there was no on roads jumping on the car to "teach" you a route. You pretty much got a print out of the pick ups and that's it.

Going out blind and swinging a different route does make you a better driver if you let it. You have to get really good at your methods. You also handle change and chaos better when you have the background. The trick is to get your methods down to second nature. Focus on safety and service and you'll be better for it.

Eventually when you bid, all that swing , blind "training " helps you be really good on your route.

Use it to your advantage. You'll be a better driver for it and eventually they will run out of routes to "screw" you on.

billerz

What do you mean by training? Watching the hazardous video while the answers are given to me. Reciting the DOK questions. I was trained on my training route and the route after the training route. I had never had a supervisor ride with me on any other route I went out blind on. I was told here is your package car and here is your DIAD. I would ask where do I go first and how do I get there. Training is a joke at UPS.
Is asked him that because he said after his training route, he learned everything else himself. Maybe it was different years ago, but at my center if you're on a new route that isn't a cake walk, they train you. If that means riding along for two days and telling you where to turn, at least that's something. I just know covers that they send out blind and I know covers that they won't, I'm hoping to remain the ladder.

billerz

Does your On Car know the route? If management has a problem with people going out blind then the On Car should jump on board (whether they know the route or not) and train people.They don't call them ON CAR sups for nothing. The center manager can hold down the fort down as far as the reports and conference calls are concerned.
Yea this what they do at my center, at least some of the time. Just depends which driver is doing the open route, i.e. Whether they think he can do it without help or not.

QualityLoads

I would load route trucks blind all the time as a preloader. Now i run those same routes blind as a driver. I never knew how to load trucks until i went out and delivered all the stevie wonder loads.

Tough Guy

It would be nice if they could lighten the load up a little if they know someone is going blind. I did a trip blind just last week. 201 stops. That truck was ready to pop like a piñata. I asked the dispatcher if he'd lost
His mind. I told him I could see maybe 150 or 160, but 200 on a cold trip?? The problem is between meeting stops per car, and the regular guy can do that many stops on his trip in his sleep apparently.

One of my sups, to his credit, did offer to go out with me. I told him I appreciated that but the honest truth is having him with me would probably just slow me down. Just having to worry about him being over my shoulder all day. I'd rather just map things out on my own. I was however one of the last drivers in that night.

All the older drivers around here agree that some things were tougher back in the day, with no Edd, and clipboards and such. But nobody ever had no 200 stops. Outside Christmas time that is. At least not around here.